Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna in mid-November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-in-mid-november-811548/)

SusanC Oct 23rd, 2009 06:21 PM

Vienna in mid-November?

I had planned to do a 10 day trip to Vienna and Budapest in early October but now can't go on vacation until Nov 7 - 16. Am debating whether or not I want to go to this area this late in the year - seems like it will be pretty chilly and days will be kind of short. Doesn't seem like I'll get to experience any outdoor cafes! Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

yk Oct 23rd, 2009 06:26 PM

Where are you from? Are you used to cold weather?

We went to Vienna during Thanksgiving week in 2006. Yes, it was cold. Yes, it got dark early. But we were dressed warmly and we enjoyed every minute there. We are museum fans though, so we spent a lot of time indoors (where it was warm) in museums.

You can still enjoy coffee (I love Viennese melange) in Vienna! Just sit inside. The Viennese coffee houses have lovely ambiance inside. Even if it's nice and warm out, I probably still prefer to sit inside.

[P.S. When we went in 2006, we were living in Dallas. But we both are from New England originally, so we are used to the cold and have appropriate winter clothes.]

SusanC Oct 23rd, 2009 06:46 PM

Thanks yk, I live in New York - avg temp in Vienna is a bit cooler than in NY and day is 30 min shorter.

I'm a big museum fan myself and there are a lot there so that is why I'm still considering it.

I generally prefer to eat outside whenever possible. As I will be traveling on my own it's a lot more welcoming. I'm fine with sitting outside if there are heat lamps. You made me realize I hadn't considered something - is smoking still allowed inside establishments in Austria?

elcon Oct 23rd, 2009 06:56 PM

Hi SusanC. I went to Vienna and Prague last December and loved it. I am also from NY and the weather didn't bother me a bit. It was actually much colder in NY when I got back. Have a great time.

MademoiselleFifi Oct 23rd, 2009 07:00 PM

SusanC, are you talking about 2009 or 2010?

yk Oct 23rd, 2009 07:01 PM

No smoking indoors for sure.

I travel solo a lot in Europe and I always feel welcome at any dining establishments; whether I sit inside or outside, at a table or at the bar.

SusanC Oct 23rd, 2009 09:47 PM

Yk - great re smoking (I have allergies) - I need to doublecheck that re Budapest also. I just came back from Switzerland and was shocked that they could still smoke in restaurants - I was dying. Ironically the new law went into effect the day I left. Ironically dining outside is now where you get the smokers!

MademoiselleFifi - oui c'est 2009 - en 2 semaines!

WillTravel Oct 23rd, 2009 09:56 PM

My trip to Vienna last November was excellent. I would so gladly go again. You can read my trip report by clicking my name.

nancicita Oct 24th, 2009 12:52 AM

I'm probably going to Wien in December. bookmarking!!

MademoiselleFifi Oct 24th, 2009 03:30 AM

SusanC, I'll be there exactly the same time (apres une semaine a Paris)!

Looks like it will be cold. I bought a thin merino wool base-layer top and Under Armour leggings from Paragon, and a few of those "Toe-warmer" inserts that heat up. Also got a few "Heattech" turtlenecks from UNIQLO-- they're very thin for layering, and cheap (on sale at the Soho store for $10.50).

MademoiselleFifi Oct 24th, 2009 03:32 AM

yk, do they over-heat indoor spaces such as cafes, theaters, and museums there?

seafox Oct 24th, 2009 03:57 AM

Hi Susan, we went to Prague and Vienna last year in the Fall - honestly I love the crisp cool air. Do a Search on "Dark beer and dumplings" for the full report. I see you enjoy museums. Here is an excerpt from the post on a event you may want to consider:

"The day was grey and the rain was light. We took the U-Bahn to a stop that connects with the trolley on the Ring and spent about an hour riding the ring and getting ourselves oriented to the city. We walked to St Stephansdom, toured the church and then a couple of others in the area. We then headed back to our apartment. It was getting dark and thanks to the suggestion of a poster on this board we had dinner reservations at the Kunsthistorisches Museum. A shower and a quick change into sports jackets and were back on the U-Bahn headed to the museum for the 6:30 dinner opening. I had requested a table under the dome and would suggest that others do the same. These are definitely the better seats for the experience. Dinner is a buffet served as 3 courses and the food is varied, nicely prepared, beautifully presented and well worth the visit. “dinner at the Museum” is only offered on the Thursday nights and this was a great introduction to Vienna! Between our main course and desert we explored the almost empty museum at our own pace and were able to appreciate the vast collection. We ate no dumplings and drank no beer (a first for this trip). The Veltliner wine offered was very nice and seemed to compliment all of the food options presented. The wait staff was on the mark and this is a buffet to remember. I took many photos…for more info. and reservations:
http://www.gerstner.at/betriebe/kuns...enuss.html?L=1

Enjoy your trip!

blh Oct 24th, 2009 04:54 AM

Bookmarking - going to Vienna next year.

yk Oct 24th, 2009 06:42 AM

MFifi, I don't remember museums/indoor places being too hot; but of course I'm cold-natured, and there are coat checks everywhere. If you're prone to getting hot easily, then maybe wear layers so you can take off your top inside layers. And perhaps avoid turtleneck sweaters but wear scarves instead.

The only place I remember HOT was the Staatsoper up in the nosebleed (that's where you're heading, right)? Heat rises and it was warm up there, esp after climbing several flights of stairs! Oh, and you HAVE to check your coat at Staatsoper or you won't be let inside the auditorium.

SusanC - We were in Budapest this past May. No smoking indoors either.

annhig Oct 24th, 2009 07:26 AM

hi susan,

you're right, it is likely to be a tad chilly [or worse, wet] in vienna in november.

frankly, if you want to be outside as much as possible, I would suggest looking at andalucia or sicily instead. we were in granada in november 2006 and had lunch outside every day, with no need for heaters or blankets.

regards, ann

SusanC Nov 3rd, 2009 06:56 PM

So after I posted, I suddenly had an epiphany. The week of Nov 7 is the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall! Well worth freezing weather - the last time I was in Berlin was Labor Day (first weekend in Sept) and it was cold then (I had packed shorts and people were wearing scarves) so Nov should be very exciting! I managed to find a good flights at a decent price so I'm booked into Berlin and out of Prague. In between I'll be stopping in Wittenberg, Leipzig and Dresden. I've been to all of these places other than Wittenberg. It will be a great add-on to my John Calvin trail in Geneva last month!

Coincidentally since my original post had to to with going to this region at this time of year, it's ironic that each time I've been to Saxony and Prague it's been in November! Two trips were for Thanksgiving and all were freezing. It was always especially brutal in Prague b/c the old Communist coal heating caused awful pollution. Since all of my Prague adventures were in the early 90s, I'm hoping this has improved.

Hope to do my Budapest/Vienna trip around Memorial Day or Labor Day 2010!

Susan