VIENNA HOTELS: THE TOP 3

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIENNA HOTELS: THE TOP 3

Forgive me for starting a second thread similar to the one I posted last week, but I have't been able to add a reply to the original. Since my last pst, I've found out that The Imperial is way more expensive than either The Bristol or The Sacher. Is it worth it? Also, I an still interested in the unique qualities of each. I'm sure that they are all wonderful but each in its own way. I'm also wondering which of the three has the nicest "standard" rooms...
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM

The Imperial is not worth the extra cost. While the public areas and stairways are probably more impressive than the Sacher and Bristol, the standard room is not.
The Imperial is more convenient to the MusicvereinConcert house, the Sacher and Bristol are across the street from the State Opera.The Sacher and Bristol are better located for shopping and access to transportation( tram and subway)
All have excelent restaurants.
If you plan to book a suite, I would suggest the Imperial, if not my choice would be the Sacher.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Imperial's suites are more grandiose than SAcher. SAcher's rooms are very chintzy - (very well done though). Personally I think Sacher's corridors are pretty crappy - worn out carpets and so on, given price of rooms. Service given by SAcher when I asked to check out rooms and suites was absolutely excellent - giving us a couple of small Sacher Torte. Location wise, if you can walk 200 metres without puffing, I think all three are on a par.
I never saw a Bristol room, I just thought the reception areas were rather smelly (musty).
For bit better value, you could consider Ambassador Hotel which I think is top class and for another unique hotel with a bit dated rooms - check out Scwarzenberg PAlais - for beautiful garden views and peace and quiet for a good nights sleep - and still only 10 minute walk to the Ring.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Not to wander from the subject, but when I hear people talk about the top hotels in any city, I want to say right away that there is no such thing. There are certainly one or two that are the most luxurious and palatial, and one or two that cost the most, but "top hotel" can convey any number of meanings. Obviously, flyer, you seem to have chosen the meaning of "most luxurious" and "most costly."

While there is not such a sense of grandness in the Konig von Ungarn, I'd choose it over any of the "top" hotels because of its charm, its location, the good service, and the excellent rooms. If you are indeed interested in best value for the money in an upscale hotel (as you seem to be from your comments on the Imperial and your interest in standard rooms) I'd suggest you check into the KVU. Good luck.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:47 AM

The (ANA) Grand is another 5-star you might want to consider...I spent a week there and was very pleased with the room, the service, the fitness center at the top. It is a "palace" hotel and was in immaculate condition throughout, as far as I could tell. They have a piano player in the bar area every afternoon; the breakfast has both full Viennese *and* Japanese breakfasts (an interesting alternative).
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've stayed at the Konig von Ungarn twice. If someone offered me a free stay at any of the three hotels mentioned in the original post or a stay at the Konig, I'd immediately turn down the others to stay at Konig von Ungarn. But then huge impersonal hotels generally do nothing for me.