Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna Hotels: Kaiserin Elisabeth, Kaiserhof (Best Western) or holiday inn city centre

Search

Vienna Hotels: Kaiserin Elisabeth, Kaiserhof (Best Western) or holiday inn city centre

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am visiting Vienna in April and I am trying to choose a hotel that will have nice rooms, preferably in a quiet location (I'm a light sleeper) and will be central (I only have two days and prefer to walk).
The options in my price range would be Kaiserhof, the Kaiserin Elisabeth, or The Holiday Inn, City Centre.
Could any one offer me advice on which of these 3 hotels would best fit my criteria?
Thanks.
D
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Try Pension Pertschy, pertschy.com. Great location and wonderful staff. Do not ask for the least expensive room; you will end up with a large, pleasant room at a very affordable price. We paid 130 Euros in October, including a bottle of champagne and other extras.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:24 AM
MaureenB

We loved the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth last June. We're a family of four, had a suite large enough for all of us. Great breakfast buffet with hot items and eggs cooked to order. Great location on a quiet street, yet just two blocks from the center, shops, cafes, Stephansdom, Hapsburg complex, etc. Our room overlooked the street, but with double glazed windows, there was no problem with noise. I highly recommend it. Very "Austrian", very formal and polite staff. A lovely boutique hotel.
They can send a car and driver to the airport for you, if you'd like, which was a nice convenience.
If you search this forum you'll find lots of good reviews on the Kaiserin Elisabeth.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi MaureenB and Jerry S!
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. I would jump at Kaiserin Elisabeth but it's a bit over my budget so that is holding me back. JerryS: thanks for the suggestion of the Pension Pertschy, I will look into it.
Thanks
D
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I second the recommendation for Pension Pertschy. We stayed there while in Vienna in March of last year. The hotel was nice, clean, and rooms were fairly large. Best of all was the location, right off Graben and very close to St. Stephens. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM
MaureenB

If it's close enough to your budget, try e-mailing to Kaiserin Elisabeth (http://www.abnet.at/hotel/vienna/elisabeth/
They took off 10% right away when I e-mailed them last year to ask for their best price. (Be very formal and polite with your e-mail... they might like that approach!)

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi MaureenB,
Thanks for the advice on Kaiserin Elisabeth. We actually got a slightly better rate on the website of the chain of hotels to which they belong (TOPInternational). Hopefully we'll be pleased with the hotel.
To JerryS and tcreath: we did try the pension Pertschy but it was booked out, but thanks for the tip anyway.
D
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:46 PM
MaureenB

Great-- I think you'll really like the KE. Be sure to report back, ok? Safe trip.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I also stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth and thought it was a great hotel. It was spotlessly clean, friendly and had a great breakfast. Best of all the location was excellent because it was right in the center of the city.

Does it still smell like paint?

Check out my review of the Kaiserin Elisabeth and my Vienna trip report here...

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....enna+richardab
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Yet another positive vote for the Kaiserin Elisabeth. We stayed there several years ago on the advice of friends who grew up in Vienna and we loved it. As others have said the location is fabulous and the staff delightfully formal without being stuffy. Our room was spacious and immaculate.

The only negative is that if you have a car it is very difficult to locate because of all the small streets, one-ways etc. On the advice of the hotel we returned our car to the rental office and took a taxi to the hotel (we had planned to do the reverse of dropping the lugggage at the KE and then returning the car.) All in all this is a superb value and a great hotel.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We won't have a car so the parking issue won't arise.
We're looking forward to our stay. I'll report back.
PS: has anyone out there taken the THIRD MAN tour in Vienna?
D
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM

ttt