Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-hotels-270286/)

Skaye Jan 11th, 2008 02:13 PM

Vienna hotels

Based on previous postings and advice from Fodorites,we are pretty settled on the Torbrau in Munich - What do "you who know" recommend for Vienna. We have stayed at the Kaiserhof and enjoyed that (3 yrs ago).. want something with a decent size bedroom and a decent size bathroom. Thank you for your help..

Skaye Jan 11th, 2008 03:19 PM

Topping.. saw the post re ac.. do you have any hotels you would recommend in the inner ring? TU

Graziella5b Jan 11th, 2008 07:21 PM

The hotel right in front of the Cathedral, Um Stephansplatz ( probably wrong way to spell its name) is very nice and we loved the location.

DAX Jan 11th, 2008 10:31 PM

I have stayed at the ANA Grand, SAS Palais, Am Parkring Hotel, Marriott, and the Intercontinental. The only one I wouldn't recommend is the Intercontinental. However the next time I come to Vienna, I want to stay at the very nice looking Radisson SAS "STYLE" hotel on Herrengasse 12 which is an excellent location in the city center (around 175 euro). It's a short walk to Graben, Central Cafe, Am Hof, Freyung, Hofburg palace, & Stephans Cathedral.

angelnot1 Jan 12th, 2008 01:32 AM

A few years ago we stayed at Koening von Ungarn dating back to early 19th century, near St Stephen's Cathedral. Part of the hotel consists of accommodations where Mozart stayed and composed.

We, being a family of five, took one of the apartments which was great. There were also hotel rooms. Breakfast was included in the tariff and was very good.

Google the hotel and get more details but we were very happy with our stay there.

JulieVikmanis Jan 12th, 2008 01:38 AM

More praise for Konig von Ungarn. Large rooms (can't remember the size of the bathroom but guessing it was similarly large or I'd have remembered that it wasn't) and a wonderful bar/lobby. It's an atrium of 2 or 3 stories, beautifully furnished that is perfect for a leisurely drink after a day of sightseeing. Recommend it highly. Very Vienna.

BTilke Jan 12th, 2008 02:23 AM

I side with DAX in not recommending the Intercontinental. IMO, it doesn't deserve its ranking as a 4 star hotel.

What is your preferred decor? If you like modern, then the Radisson Style Hotel, Le Meridien (having stayed at Le Meridien, I would opt for the Radisson Style instead), or maybe the new Do & Ko Hotel. For traditional, the KvU mentioned above or the Kaiserin Elisabeth, also highly regarded (I've stayed there several times and give it thumbs up). Among the traditional 5 star hotels, my favorite is the Grand, I prefer that to the Imperial. However, if money is no object, then THE place to stay is the uber elegant and chic Residenz Palais Coburg.

If you opt to stay away from the St. Stephans area, then consider the K & K Maria Theresia (also modern in style). Try for a room with a private roof terrace offering lovely views of Vienna. If I were visiting Vienna in warmer months (I go in Feb/March), a room at the K & K Maria T. with a roof terrace would be my number one choice.

Last year I stayed at the Viennart and while it was ok, I don't recommend it. A friend always stays at the InterCity, which again is ok, the decor is very Ikea, and I don't recommend it.

I've also stayed at the Sofitel and it's certainly decent, but IMO, it's not up to the standards of many other Sofitels I've stayed at. But it's a very common PriceLine option.

BTilke Jan 12th, 2008 02:24 AM

Sorry, I meant the Interconti doesn't deserve its 5 star ranking.

angelnot1 Jan 12th, 2008 02:38 AM

Julie -you brought back terrific memories of leisurely drinks at the Koening at the end of the day -before venturing out to dinner. (No, I am not associated with the hotel-I live in Sydney -just fond memories :-)

Ness_07 Jan 12th, 2008 05:01 AM

I loved the Pension Pertschy. Excellent location - just a few blocks from Stephansplatz. The breakfast buffet is excellent, and there is free Internet in the reception area. The rooms were really nice, very comfortable, clean and classy...

Skaye Jan 12th, 2008 02:44 PM

My thanks to you all - I will now do some of my own work!! BTilke - I wish money did not have to be considered!! In fact I will make that a wish for all Fodorites for 2008 (and after) Happy travels and no budgeting! SIK