Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna; have you stayed at the Pension Shermin, Suzanne or Nossek? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-have-you-stayed-at-the-pension-shermin-suzanne-or-nossek-630424/)

InMiami Jul 12th, 2006 10:38 AM

Vienna; have you stayed at the Pension Shermin, Suzanne or Nossek?

I am traveling to Vienna next June and would like to stay in the historic center and pay 110E or less.

I have already given up on finding air-conditioning at this price. Hopefully mid June will not be too warm.

I have read good reviews here and on Tripadvisor for these three hotels. Any suggestions on which to choose?

tomboy Jul 12th, 2006 11:37 AM

Pension Suzanne was OK for us. Location (near Operahouse) was excellent. Lacked air conditioning, but I suspect one doesn't get that at that price point anywhere in Vienna. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking a street and the restaurant across the street. With windows open, Thursday nite was quiet (restaurant patrons were murmuring), Friday night noisy (boisterous until maybe 9:30-10:00, quiet thereafter). Again, location was great (near trams, subway, Kunsthistoriche, Treasury, naschmarkt, etc).

InMiami Jul 12th, 2006 06:46 PM

Tomboy, what time of year did you stay there?

margeo Jul 12th, 2006 06:49 PM

Can't speak to the other two places, but we just returned from a trip this past May and stayed 4 nights at Pension Suzanne. Paid 96 Euros/night, with 4% discount with cash payment. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! It's footsteps away from the main street, in excellent Opera House area, near everything important. Fantastic breakfast buffet, great value. No AC, like previous poster says, but then again, we were there in May, so didn't miss it. Room was quite adequate for mid-range budget travelers, small, but nicely decorated, with comfortable beds. Would definitely stay there again.

eurogals Jul 12th, 2006 06:52 PM

Stayed at Pensione Suzanne in September 2000. Loved it. Charming place. Fantastic location. Didn't need AC.

InMiami Jul 13th, 2006 08:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I will go with the Suzanne. If you can believe it, the Pension Nossek is already booked up for next June!

travelinsue Jul 14th, 2006 10:32 AM

We stayed at Pension Suzanne. We had a comfortable room, but no A/C. We were there in May and they were having a bit of a heat wave - 90-95 degrees F. We also had a room with the restaurant across the street. We would have liked to open the window, but it did get a bit noisy.

The location was terrific though- very close to everything you want to see/do in Vienna.

The heat bothered my husband more than myself. I just took a cold bath in ample bathtub.

tomboy Jul 14th, 2006 07:15 PM

Be advised: you enter suzanne thru a nondescript first floor lobby (at the rear of which is an elevator). You ride up to the pension office, 2nd fl i think.

TAD1 Jul 15th, 2006 01:17 AM

I haven't stayed at any of these places, but in case they're booked I highly recommend Hotel Zur Wiener Staatsoper http://www.zurwienerstaatsoper.at/index-engl.html
We stayed there for 3 nights last week - no AC but it was not a problem. It is on a pedestrian-only street so was fairly quiet. Excellent location and service, good breakfast, rooms small but very comfy. I paid €111 per night.

BTilke Jul 15th, 2006 05:40 AM

It's not as difficult as you think if you are looking for a single. We've stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth in June for 109 euros, inc. breakfast. Our room had AC. The Austria Trend Europa Hotel on the Kartnerstrasse has rooms in that range and it has AC.
The Sofitel (on the "other" side of the Ring but still close in often runs specials for rooms at that rate and it has AC. You may be able to Priceline the hotel for under $100 per night--it's one of the most commonly offered Priceline 4-star hotel in central Vienna. In these hotels, breakfast would be included.
If you can get AC in your price range--and I think you can--take it. I've been in Vienna in early and mid-June and even in May when it was hot and humid enough to make AC welcome.

jbtan Jul 15th, 2006 06:13 AM

I stayed at Pension Pertschy in May 2004. Superb location. Woke up in the morning to the clip-clopping of horses; great breakfast spread; friendly and helpful staff; clean and airy room. Didn't need AC at that time because it was really cold on some days. I paid less than 75 euro at that time because I stayed for more than 5 nights. Booked it through www.venere.com (which has just got some bad press with other posters). Happy hunting...!

amaclise Jul 15th, 2006 06:24 AM

I stayed at the Pension Suzanne during the European heat wave of 2003 in August. I remember the nights being pretty hot but it was totally bearable. You should be fine in June and it is a great place. Nice breakfast!

Castleblanca Jul 15th, 2006 09:13 AM

I visit Vienna two or three times each year. My address is Pension Pertschy. It is reserved much of the year far in advance, so make your reservations as soon as you have dates. Their web address is www.pertschy.com. It is also in English, if you don't speak German.

The main reason for this pension is that it is located right in the center of Vienna, a few meters from Graben and St. Stephen's Cathedral is a couple hundred meters away --- at most. The rooms, staff, and service are top-notch. Also, the price is a true bargin for Vienna. At some times during the year they have a "stay 4 nights - pay for 3" program. That's a real deal.

If the Pension Pertschy is filled, check their sister Pension ---- Pension Christina, which costs a bit less, but the location is still great (right behind Schwedenplatz)

cmenoni Jul 15th, 2006 12:27 PM

We have booked Pension Lerner for September. It is highly rated on TripAdvisor. 80 euros per night.

flagal2 Aug 10th, 2006 05:11 PM

How did you book the Pension Suzanne. I cannot find a website.

Christina Aug 10th, 2006 06:34 PM

I found their website just by typing "pension suzanne" into google:

http://www.pension-suzanne.at

You seem to be set, but I stayed at Pension Muzeum in Vienna which should be in that price range and really liked it. It wasn't noisy at all because it's in a very quiet area just outside the ring in the museum quarter (right near an underground stop), but still pretty convenient for everything. It didn't have AC but I didn't need it, even though I was there in July. It was a pretty cool period, however.

basingstoke1 Aug 11th, 2006 10:43 AM

cmenoni- we booked the Pension Lerner too based on the trip advisor reviews and were quite disapointed. We checked out early. The positives are that the location is very central, it is cheap, and the buffet breakfast is decent if you get there early. The negative is that the setting is shabby as was our room. We could have tolerated that if it was clean. Others have said their room was clean but ours certainly was not, it was quite dusty with mold in the shower and an overall musty smell. Our travelling companions had a similar experience with their room too. Also, our mattress was so worn that you could feel the foundation. I think that you could do better for not much more.

LuvToRoam Aug 11th, 2006 11:24 AM

InMiami, we stayed at Pension Nossek last year and found it quite pleasant. The rooms were neat and clean, bathroom wonderful and hostess just a lovely lady. Our room was the one with the sign in front of the balcony so I was able to hang my laundry and not have the downtown walkers see it! We loved Vienna. Have a wonderful trip. Shirley

InMiami Aug 13th, 2006 03:13 AM

Thank you for your many responces. Pension Nossek seems to have an opening for my time period so I may change to there from Pension Shermin.

I talked to someone yesterday who had been to Vienna in June and thought that we might require air-conditioning.

They said they alternated opening the windows for cooler air so find too much noise, and closing the windows until it became too warm. Ugg!

Does anyone know of an acceptable choice with air-conditioning close to this price range?

I may have to do a new post to address this question.

cambe Aug 13th, 2006 06:31 AM

cmenoni, I have got to agree with basingstoke. I stayed in Pension Lerner last week, booked it based on tripadvisor reviews, and was also very disappointed. The location is great but the place was very fusty and at breakfast they served stale rolls and weak coffee.

InMiami, If you can get A/C in your price range I would take it as the weather was turning cold when I reached Vienna but the room was very stuffy and hot. A fan was provided but that is not the same as A/C