Search

Visit now!

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit now!

If Turkey is on your list of countries to visit, do it now!! I just got back this month (May 2007) and had previously visited in 1996. I can't believe the difference in the amount of tourists and the amount of vendors in every site. Don't wait, it will only get worse.

Turkey is the most fascinating country I have ever visited. The landscape is different in all areas (I've only been to Western Turkey) and Istanbul and Cappadocia should not be missed.

I'd be happy to answer questions at [email protected].
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have said "visit Turkey now."
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM

We would prefer to not contact you individually; where is your trip report Madam?
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
nancy: It really isn't all that useful if everybody sends private messages back and forth. If you have good info to share it is a lot better to share it . . . .
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Fidel and janisj: I don't have a current trip report altho' I visited a lot of the same places this time. My trip report from 1996 is too long to post here.

The main point in this post was to encourage people who are interested in Turkey to go now as Turkey is very popular with tourists and just keeps getting more crowded. I thought this was "good" info to share.

If you have a specific question, I'd be happy to answer it here.
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM

Why don't you tell us where you went and in which hotels you stayed for a start..then maybe people can direct some questions your way. It does not help that much to just say "Turkey!" From your post it looks like you spent time in Istanbul and Cappadocia...where did you stay and how did you like the hotels?
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I took a tour (Pacha Tours as I did before) that covered Western Turkey. We had the best tour guide I have ever had on a tour. The hotels aren't particularly memorable, typical tourist hotels, albeit just fine. We started in Istanbul, bussed to Ankara, then on to Cappadocia, to Antalya, and on up to Troy/Gallipoli ending in Istanbul. It's a lot of bus riding but I enjoyed the scenery and they make stops every 1 1/2 hrs or so.

Look up Pacha Tours - Best Value Western Turkey (my previous trip was In the Steps of St Paul) and you can see the itinerary.

I'm sure most people interested in Turkey will investigate the best way to go. Again, my point is don't wait!
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM

Well I do agree with you that Turkey is a terrific and fascinating country to visit with friendly people and excellent food, not to mention the landscapes and the historic sites. My first visit was in 1972 and I also waited a long time to return..not until 2005. I shudder to think about the changes time has brought to places like Side which was a tiny village with no large hotels when I was there, and Bodrum, which was not much larger. (I did not re-visit those places). So I would echo your enthusiastic comments!
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:47 PM
P_M

nancy, I took a peek at Pacha's web page and it is a great value. If I decide to go in the coming years, Pacha will be on my radar screen. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM

nancy, we are thinking of going this Oct. starting in Athens + i island (maybe Santorini or another island) then istanbul-capadoccia, ephesus. we're thinking of spending maybe 2 days in athens, another 2 in santorini or another island then 7-8 days in turkey. i'm also very interested in buying some nice gold jewelry. any turkey itinerary suggestions for 7-8 days and maybe a good place to shop for gold jewelry? i've read from guidebooks and here that grand bazaar would be a good place to shop for this but i'm wondering if the prices are too touristy. thanks for your FYI post.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM

forgot to add, somebody told me about troy tours. good price that includes air fare + hotels and some land tours. has anybody here have any experience with this tour operator? thanks for your feedback.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM

I am off to Turkey next week!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:54 AM

After visiting something in the vicinity of 30 countries, Turkey is still my all time favorite destination for the same reasons listed above; People, culture, landscape, history, architecture,food...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

we're going in early october (istanbul).
hearing about the market blast today isn't too reassuring though :0
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

anaheimwoman: It's a long distance between Istanbul and Cappadocia and then to Ephesus. Plus if you fly out of Istanbul you have another long distance. For just 7-8 days I'd concentrate on Istanbul and Cappadocia. You can fly, I believe, between this two places. There is so much to see in Istanbul that I'd give it 4 full days and Cappadocia 3 full days. But, you'll have to consider transportation time.

In Istanbul, if you plan it out, you can do it without a guide (except for places that require one like Dolmabache Palace - well worth it) and see most everything. A friend did this and then hired a tour guide for his days in Cappadocia - you need a driver or would need to rent a car to see the whole area. We stayed in Goreme in Cappadocia and saw the Whirling Dervishes one night - very good; I was so hoping to see them this trip. Also, check out a cave hotel - my friend loved it, even called me from there to tell me how great it was.

As to gold jewelry, I don't know prices as I'm not in the market for that. They do weigh each piece, tell you the price but you can definitely barter. The Grand Bazaar lights up with all the gold jewelry! You will get bombarded by salesmen but, if you're not interested, just shake your head, look down and keep walking - this worked well for me.

I looked up Troy Tours but found them to be awfully expensive (I looked at the 10 day tour which covers the places you want to visit. I would suggest looking into Pacha Tours as they will customize a trip but have no idea what that costs. Except for the last day all meals are included which is a bonus. However, the meals tend to be buffet and the same everywhere. Lunch was usually out of the hotel at a restaurant in the area we were traveling.

While in Istanbul and are tired of Turkish food, check out the English pub called the North Shield - my best meal It's along the tram street near the Grand Bazaar. This is not to say our meals were not good, just the same everyday. The priciest item for meals was the wine!
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Tired of Turkish food? Is that possible?????
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM

Richardab, are you coming to Cappadocia ? If so you are welcome for a glass of Cappadocian red wine
have fun....

Nancy thanks for the Visit Turkey now....

Happy Travelling

Murat
(currently travelling in Greece for business, bad weather is clearing and Thesaloniki seems an intersting place after all the island hopping)