Search

Food Cost per day/ Train preference

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Cost per day/ Train preference

2 questions:
How much should I budget for food per day in major Italian cities if I plan to eat out only 1 meal per day, and cook other meals in rented apartments? Would like to eat local, good food that one meal out.

And second, is there a big difference in comfort on a first-class iR train vs. Eurostar? Eurostar is usually a bit faster, but the cost is quite a bit higher. Not worried about A/C-- it'll be January.

TIA!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
ira

Hi Tia,

>How much should I budget for food per day in major Italian cities ....<

Impossible to say. How much wine and beer do you drink? Are you fond of truffles, porcini and lobster?...etc

> is there a big difference in comfort on a first-class iR train vs. Eurostar?<

Do you mean IC?

2cl in ES* is about the same as 1 cl on the IC. ES* trains are more reliable.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
Ha, ha! "TIA" is my silly way of abbreviating thanks in advance, but it's a cute name! I'm Dee. Anyway, thanks for your reply. I actually did mean iR, which are described as semi-fast trains, that are more economical and comfortable than IC. Those trains are often an option for travel throughout Italy. Good to know that Eurostar vs. IC trains are a big difference. I'll be sure to take ES whenever possible.

Anyone have an opinion abour iR vs. ES?

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM

I think iR would be a step down from IC, making many more stops.

Try the slowtrav.com site for an excellent description of the Italian train system.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
ira

Hi Dee,

I haven't heard of a train between the ES* and IC.

As far as I know there are the ES*, IC, R, and D.

Where did you find the iR?
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Here's the scoop. According to slowtrav.com, iR trains (Interregionale) are like Regionale and Diretto trains. Here's a quote from the site:
...travel medium distances. They do not offer much in terms of comfort and are quite slow, but they are as cheap as Espresso trains and somewhat cleaner. On the other hand, they are sometimes crowded, especially in the early morning and late afternoon, since they are used by commuters.

They are the perfect means to travel from village to village or from one main city or town to nearby villages. Since they are mainly used for short trips, they do not allow seat reservation, yet, if you are traveling on commuters hours, you may find that some travelers are keeping the seats "occupied" with a newspaper or a jacket for someone who is boarding the train one or two stops later. In this case, you can ask to use the seat until the other person arrives.

Because these trains are mainly used for short trips, they have little luggage space. Some Interregionale trains offer drinks and snacks, but most trains of these categories don't, so bring your own food and water. Tickets for these trains can also be bought at newsagents. All these trains are no-smoking only.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM

dee, if you have a lots of time to waste then take the regional train..Is Slow and stop at every small station..
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:39 AM
ira

Hi Dee,

I haven't seen an interregional train listed at www.trenitalia.com for at least 3 years.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
iR trains are all over trenitalia.com. I just put in Milan to Venice and one popped right up! Look for the symbol under "trains".
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think there is and difference between the IR (if that is an I) and the R trains and when you click on it there isn't any class choice to make. IC and E have a class choice. The regional trains are the usually the quality of a subway with a different seat configuration. They are fine for short distances but you can't expect anything more than a place to sit. The seats are not as nice as the higher priced trains and are usually very worn.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
ira

Hi dee,

Oh dear. I have been reading that symbol as an AR.

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:11 AM

For moderate dinners in local style restaurants, you can expect to pay between $80 and $100 USD equivelent for two, if you have one or two glasses of wine each and dessert. The dollar is getting killed so be prepared
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:57 AM

You food cost concerns. . .

It can cost as much or a little as you want. Last fall I traveled with four friends to Rome and Florence. We ate at good but reasonable restaurants with more locals than tourists. We did not eat every course, usually primi and secondi or secondi and dessert. Often we shared primi or dessert among the group, ordering two or three plates to share among five. Not big wine drinkers, a liter of the house wine and a liter of water was fine for us. No one felt deprived, everyone enjoyed their meals, eating their fill and having some trully amazing dishes along the way. Not one bill was ever more than 120 euro split among the five of us.

As ira said, it all depends on the restaurants you choose and the things you like to order.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 02:19 PM

in first class is there a meal served on trains in the morning like trains in Spain?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM

i imagine in italy they also offer at business lunchtimes the very reasonable menu of the day for under 15 euros at most places if not cheaper.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would budget your one restaurant meal a similar price to what you would spend at home if you went to a nice restaurant. The budget depends on: the kind of place you like to eat (from homey to fancy), what kind of food and how much of it you order, and most of all how much and what kind of alcohol you do or don't drink... more than being in Italy.