Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna, Belgrade, Plitvice lakes, or Karkow? Advice on Europ Trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. Me and a friend from Dublin are on a short Euro trip around central Europe/Balkans in May/June. 21 days. We are starting in Rovinj Croatia and finishing in Berlin. The destinations along the way will be Trieste, Slovenia, Zagreb, Budapest, Prague. They are the definite locations.

The dilema is the bit in the middle when we're at Zagreb.

Here's the ideas and possible options. I've basically got about 3 days to play around with.

1: BELGRADE. This would mean heading to Belgrade from Zagreb, spending around 3 days thete and then on to Budapest and then to Prague and so on.

2: VIENNA. After Zagreb we would head for Budapeat and then after Budapeat onto Vienna where we would spend around 3 days and then Prague.

3: PLITVICE LAKES CROATIA. This would mean spending 2 days at Plitvice and then going back to Zagreb, on to Budapeat and then straight from Budapest - Prague.

4: KRAKOW. Finally this would mean going from Zagreb - Budapest and then Budapest - Krakow, spending 3 days at Krakow including visiting Auschwitz. Then from Krakow to Prague.

5. An outside idea would be too explore more of Slovenia as I am only spending 3 days here. Slovenia is top of my list at the moment to visit so maybe exploring more of there and just going from Zagreb - Budapest - Prague might make more sense?

Basically, what do you guys advise as the best destination from the above.
I'm not too concerned about convinence travel wise, more so where I'm going to enjoy the most. I've heard Vienna is your stereotypical world city which doeset sound too exciting.

We're both in our early 20's, buskers, and students. And want a bit of everything from artsy theatre culture to quirky nightlife, good music and beautiful nature and great photos. As a gay student I'm not sure if Serbia would be the safest but maybe I'm wrong?

Hope you can help.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Apologies on the spelling errors. Spellcheck is playing havoc. Krakow*
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 07:38 AM

Are you locked in for your dates in Zagreb? Because Pltvice is between Rovinj and Zagreb.

And what form of transportation are you using?
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

You see I'm going to Ljubliana in Slovenia before Zagreb. There is no set number of days on Zagreb as of yet, I can shuffle them about.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 06:21 PM
kja

Whatever you decide, you will see some wonderful things!

My one overarching comment is that you aren't giving yourself much time in any of the magnificent cities you are visiting -- maybe you'll have enough time for YOUR priorities, but maybe not. Have you plotted things out on a calendar?

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma -- what, exactly, are you asking?
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 12:32 AM

A little bit late but hey.
Belgrade is not the safest place in the world for gays but you should be allright.
Chek out the Gay Travel Guide http://www.gej.rs/english-gay-belgrade-guide/. It should serve the purpose.