Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna Apt - Washers but no Dryers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-apt-washers-but-no-dryers-620042/)

pliant Jun 1st, 2006 08:42 AM

Vienna Apt - Washers but no Dryers

I'm looking into booking an apartment for my husband and myself for a week in Vienna. I'm noticing a lot of them have a clothes washer but not a clothes dryer.

Just wondering how the clothes would usually get dried? Do you just hang them around the apartment?

Operaman Jun 1st, 2006 09:35 AM

Hello;
The two apts. we have stayed at had collapsible dryer racks. One apt did have an all in one washer dryer, however it did very small loads and boy did everything come out wrinkled! The dryer racks worked out very well, we just laid everything out before we went out for the day and all was dry when we returned in the evening.
This service is wonderful to work with:
http://www.apartment.at/index_eng.php3
We have stayed at the Kaminek's in two of their apts. Ilona, the landlady, will pick you up at the airport for around 20 euro if you wish. My mother in-law just returned from Vienna and had a wonderful stay at Family Walkner's Apartments Augarten. And another couple I have been helping just returned from a great stay at family Duschel's apartment Wien Mitte. Have you been to Wien before?

dfr4848 Jun 1st, 2006 10:49 AM

Operaman has a point. I'd double check to make sure that the washer is in fact not also a dryer. Two-in-one machines are very common in Europe. My sister-in-law lives in London and most flats seem to just have the single machine with dual washer/dryer functions, although as mentioned the loads are small (but better than having to hang things up to dry).

janisj Jun 1st, 2006 10:53 AM

&quot;<i>better than having to hang things up to dry</i>&quot;

I usually hang things or use the heated towel rails before I'd dry my clothes in a combo machine. They take forever and most everything comes out a shriveled mess.

pliant Jun 2nd, 2006 05:25 AM

No I haven't been to Wien before. I've been mainly looking for apartments on www.apartment.at and http://www.netland.at/wien. Even though we're not going to October the apartments I have contacted that I wanted to stay in are already booked. There are a few I'm still waiting to here back from tho. I'll look into the ones you recommended Operaman.

Also, how important is it to be close to the city center. Some of the ones further out are cheaper and very nice looking. Is 20-30min of subway travel much of an inconvienence when staying there?

Operaman Jun 2nd, 2006 08:38 AM

pliant;
No, it is not that important to be near city center. The Kaminek's apts are in Floridsdorf, which is in the 22nd district. Both are within a 5 or 10 min walk to the s-bahn station, which will have you at Wien Mitte station within 10-15 min. We did this every day and found it no inconvienience at all. In fact we found it a very good experience; shopping at the local Billa or Spar markets for things to eat and drink while at the apt made you really get a feel for the place. While Floridsdorf is not as pretty as the old city, I feel like it was a good base to work from. After all, you just use the apt. to come home to after a whole day of exploring. Apartments Augarten are much closer in, and you can catch a tram near the front of them and be in city center probably within 10 min. You can also easily walk from Augarten to city center. Wien Mitte apartments are closer yet and you can either walk to city center down Landstrasse to the Ring or continue up Wolzeille right to the heart of old Vienna. For us the apts of the Kaminek's were just wonderful, very modern, absolutely safe, and very quiet. Ilona is absolutely the best landlady and is very helpful in all things, plus her prices are very reasonable. I feel that the lower price was a good thing, it enabled us to stay longer and definitely left more cash to enjoy the food and drink of the city.

Operaman Jun 2nd, 2006 08:47 AM

pliant,
All the apts I have mentioned are listed on one of your links:
www.apartment.at
If you have further questions, you can e-mail me, as many have, through my site which also has some great links for eating in Wien:
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
It is a site we put together after our first visit to Austria.

Tuni01 Jun 3rd, 2006 12:16 PM

We just returned from Vienna and stayed 5 nights at apartment Duschel at Opernring. We were very pleased with it and would highly recommend. The location was great and the apt was well equiped. The w/d was combined but worked fine for small loads.

Operaman Jun 3rd, 2006 06:27 PM

Tuni01;
Have some friends that are going to stay at the same place you did. Duschel family is good? Did you arrive from the airport or train?

alohatoall Jun 3rd, 2006 07:13 PM

Tuni01, I think I'm the friend Operaman is referring to, who will be staying at the Duschels' Opernring apt. in September. Do you have any tips for restaurants in the area? Or any other advice for someone who will be staying there? Thank for the help, Aloha.

Tuni01 Jun 8th, 2006 05:37 PM

hello, we enjoyed the apt and loved the location. It's a block from opera house. We got standing room tickets out first night and loved the opera. Standing wasn't bad (take a rest at intermission). There's a grocery store, metro and tram 1 block away. The apt was well equiped (we really liked having a freezer for ice cubes. We had a rental car we returned when we arrived. The Avis return is under the apt building, so it was great. We cooked in 1 night and found nearby restaurants the others. I suggest strolling the pedistrian area at night and the area around Stephansdom. it is peaceful at night and plenty of restaurants. We ate at Figmuller and thought the schnitzel was wonderful. feel free to ask any questions you have.

pliant Jun 9th, 2006 06:55 AM

hi tuni01,

what was the name of the apartment you stayed in? i'd be interested in seeing if its available.

how's the view of the stage with the standing room tickets at the opera? was is the staatsoper? what area of the theatre is assigned to standing room?

Operaman Jun 9th, 2006 07:40 AM

http://tinyurl.com/ggc8a
It is listed with Vienna apt service.

Operaman Jun 9th, 2006 07:46 AM

PS: My freind, alohatoall will be staying in the same apt Am Opernring in Sept. It is the Staatoper that you will be near to.
Tuni01: Are the schnitzel's still overflowing the plates at Figlmueller?

alohatoall Jun 9th, 2006 10:29 AM

Hi Operaman. Actually we're staying in this apartment, http://tinyurl.com/kh9qm, which is one of 2 owned by the Duschels in the same location. My link is to their own website, where they offer 7 apartments altogether. BTW, coud someone &quot;translate&quot; this address for me - Elisabethstra&szlig;e 6/Stg.4/8.Stock/24? I can figure out &quot;Elisabethstra&szlig;e 6&quot; but am unsure about the rest. Thanks and aloha.

alohatoall Jun 10th, 2006 10:05 AM

PS: Tuni01, thanks for the info. We're looking forward to our stay in Vienna, and it looks like the apartment is in a great central location.

molker Jun 11th, 2006 07:37 AM

For translation--

address- Elisabethstrasse 6

Stg 4 - door #4 ( usually posted above the door- larger buildings, especially apartments will have numerous entrances most times not connected

8 Stock - 8th floor (building has a lift)

/ 24 - apartment #24

Tuni01 Jun 11th, 2006 08:24 AM

The apartment we stayed in was: Apartment II Am Opernring
1010 Wien, Elisabethstra&szlig;e 6/Stg.4/8.Stock/24
It is on the 8th floor with a small elevator.
Regarding the opera, it was the staatsoper house we went to. There were 3 standing room options. We chose parter?. this section was more expensive than the balcony. Our tickets were less than $4 each. We were right behind the orchastra seats and had a great view. We tied scarfs around the poll to save our spots and walked around the opera house (this hint was suggested on Fodor's). One note, we tried for SRO seats another night (Romeo and Julliet) and when my husband got to the entrance door he saw a sign that only 1 ticket per person could be purchased. So, go together or check the door before getting in line.
Figmuller still serves schnitzel's that fall over the plate and they are delicious!

Operaman Jun 11th, 2006 08:41 AM

molker; Welcome back my friend! Are you settled in for awhile now by the beautiful Donau now? How is the Gruner? Khanjar sounds as if well trained by now...staying under the table while at the Heuriger is a first important lesson for a new dog. Hope you can relax and keep from the crowds for awhile.

alohatoall Jun 11th, 2006 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info, Molker. We're also spending a couple of nights in Weissenkirchen at the Raffelsberger Hotel, which I found thanks to your advice to another poster many months ago. Do you have a favorite restaurant or 2 there? And hi, Operaman.Aloha.