Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna & Salzburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-and-salzburg-796761/)

gjayson Jul 21st, 2009 10:20 AM

Vienna & Salzburg

Hi. I will be spending a week in Eastern Europe solo traveling next week. I am flying into Prague, where I will spend two days before taking the train to Vienna. I had planned to spend two nights in Vienna before moving on to Venice, however I have heard so many amazing things about Salzburg. Would it be crazy to spend one night in Vienna and one night in Salzburg? Or is that trying to do too much and I should just do one or the other? Lastly, can anyone suggest a good place to stay in both cities that is nice, but more on the affordable nice side? Much thanks!

iris1745 Jul 21st, 2009 10:41 AM

Hi; Stay in Vienna for your two days. Much to see/do. Salzburg is lovely, but save it for your next trip. In Vienna try www.kvu.at/ It's in a great location just behind the 'Cathedral'. In Prague for our first visit try www.hotel-pariz.cz/ It too many be a bit pricy, but it is in a good location. Dick

dfr4848 Jul 21st, 2009 10:45 AM

Ditto. Too much to see even in 2 days in Vienna, so save Salzburg.

bettyk Jul 21st, 2009 11:47 AM

With 2 days you can only hit the highlights of Vienna. You would be shortchanging both Vienna and Salzburg if you split the 2 days between them.

As mentioned, save Salzburg for another trip and combine that visit with a few days in the lake area nearby (Wolfgangsee, Hallstattersee, etc) as well as a stop in Berchtesgaden. Great reason to return.

PamEwing Jul 21st, 2009 12:01 PM

Hi Gjayson -

I strongly disagree with Iris and DFR that you should save Salzburg for another trip for 2 reasons. #1, it sounds like you really do want to see Salzburg. You never know if this may be your only opportunity to travel to Austria, and I'm a firm believer in taking trips that you've always dreamed of while you still have the health and money to enjoy them. Sure you'll be tired, but your memories will last a lot longer than your exhaustion. #2, it makes much more sense financially to visit both cities during the same trip instead of spending what it will cost you to travel all the way back to Austria again later. Use the money that you'll save on that airfare for a trip to another of your dream destinations.
Make sure to visit the Imperial Palace in Vienna and Mozart's house in Salzburg. Hope that helps, and bon voyage!!

iris1745 Jul 21st, 2009 12:59 PM

Hi; Pam certainly a valid opinion. But remember, it's SIX hours round trip by train, Vienna to Salzburg. For me time wasted. Six hours where you could see much more of Vienna. We have been to Salzburg three times [Vienna only twice] and couldn't get enough of the city. But this trip, stay in Vienna. Salzburg deserves more that just a 'cursory' look. Whatever you do, have a great trip. Dick

iris1745 Jul 21st, 2009 01:04 PM

P.S. You do have another option. Skip Vienna and just visit Prague and Salzburg, each for two nights. The train from Prague is about seven hours thru Munich. View this site for information on Prague. www.inyourpocket.com/ Click on the city and then 'instant' for a download. Dick

annhig Jul 21st, 2009 01:04 PM

hi gjayson,

having just got back from my first much-longed-for trip to Vienna, which was followed by a tour of eastern Austria and an unexpected two day stop in Salzburg [where I'd been twice before] I would go for Vienna every time. there is just so much to do - two days is nowhere near enough. whereas, Salzburg really isn't enough for two days, unless you go to the lakes as well.

so i say don't waste your valuable time getting to Salzburg when you could be having fun in Vienna.

regards, ann

kfusto Jul 21st, 2009 01:25 PM

"Salzburg really isn't enough for two days, unless you go to the lakes as well. "

I disagree and over the years have spent quite a few weeks in Salzburg using it as a base and enjoying the city itself. I am not one to make a list of "must see attractions" though, preferring to spend my time exploring an area instead of crossing things off a list.

I much prefer Salzburg to Vienna which I have now visited several times. But I would not split such a short stay, rather choose one or the other which for me would be Salzburg without hesitation.

EastBayer Jul 21st, 2009 02:32 PM

I just spent 3 days in Vienna and wanted to stay at least another 3 days. Actually, I would be happy to live there for a while. I love Jugendstil art and architecture and Wiener Werkstaette arts and crafts and there it is. Walking around Vienna is a visual feast, the museums are fabulous, the restaurants and cafes great, and I wish the public transit system could be duplicated in every US city. People are friendly and interesting to talk to. I hope you choose Vienna, but only you can make the choice.

bettyk Jul 21st, 2009 02:39 PM

Well, I guess what this thread proves is that there is NO ONE right answer to the OP's question!

annhig Jul 21st, 2009 02:44 PM

hi eastbayer,

can we start a Vienna fan club please?

I absolutely agree with you.

unfortunately, DH doesn't.

so it's crossed off our "possible places to live when we retire" list. shame.

regards, ann

PS - do you speak german? - i'm wondering whether the people who live Vienna are possibly german speakers?

EastBayer Jul 21st, 2009 03:20 PM

Hi annhig,

Okay, let's go to Vienna together. My husband liked it too, but his dream is to go home and stay there. Yes, I do speak German because I lived in the German part of Switzerland for several years. I'm living in France now but still find German easier to speak than French and definitely easier to understand. (Could it be because I was learning German when I was half the age I am now?) Many of the Viennese I spoke with also spoke English.

bettyk Jul 21st, 2009 03:46 PM

We lived in Vienna for 2 yrs in the early 1980's because of DH's job. We loved it.

Most of the historical buildings in Vienna are numbered and there is a book of walking tours with details on those buildings. I enjoyed walking all over the city with that book!

There wasn't much about Vienna that I didn't know back then (alot of which I unfortunately have forgotten).

We have returned a couple of times over the past decade and still enjoy it, though there are many more people than when we lived there. It will always be one of my favorites.

I have also been to Salzburg many times. The last time I was there, I found it to be much too crowded. But you can't beat the view from the Hohensalzburg fortress looking out over the city. Truly beautiful from up there.

gjayson Jul 21st, 2009 09:01 PM

Thank you all so much for your opinions and suggestions.
I think I have decided to go from Prague to Salzburg and save Vienna for another trip when I have more time to spend. I think Vienna is somewhere that I can easily get back to. I will be in Prague and Venice, so my decision really came with wanting a smaller town experience in between the two. I am traveling solo....If anyone has hotel/restaurant suggestions for Salzburg I would greatly appreciate. No offense to Vienna people....I will definitely get there in the future! Thanks again!

kfusto Jul 22nd, 2009 03:29 AM

I have been to Salzburg solo and it is a great place to do so.

If you want a budget accommodation, look at Weisse Taub and Hotel Am Dom. Both well located, charming and reasonable.

Our favorite dining spot is Wasserfall and you will likely need a reservation. We also enjoyed quite a few lunches over the course of several trips at The Triangle, near the University of Salzburg library.

For a friendly glass of wine and some nice appetizers, check out Wein and Company, a great spot for before or after dinner.

And Ristorante Da Jacomo is a delightful little Italian restaurant we discovered last year. It is a short cab ride from the center but we also took the bus and then walked a few blocks.

For a natural food treat, try Cafe Joy near the Sheraton.