Vienna and Paris day trips?

Jan 18th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Maureen

Vienna and Paris day trips?

My husband and I, with our two kids (ages 14 and 11), will be in Vienna and Paris next summer. A first trip to Europe for us. What daytrips are good from those two cities, assuming we want to even leave the cities? The wine country in France? Prague? We don't want to spend a lot of time travelling once we arrive, but mostly to soak up the culture and see architecture, side streets, etc. We hope to use trains, instead of dealing with a car-- or should we have a car for a day or two? Any ideas would be helpful.

Jan 18th, 1999, 10:10 AM
Betty Ann

Prague is such a beautiful city and there is so much to see and do that it deserves more than a day trip. I spent four days there last year and wished I could have stayed longer. Consider it, definitely, but only if you can give it more than a day. Apparently, it's about 3 hrs from Vienna, by train.

Jan 18th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Monica

Hi Maureen,

I can only comment on Paris because I have not been to Vienna. I was in Paris in October 1997 with my Mother and we took the following day trips: Giverny to see Claude Monet's home and gardens; Versailles, and Chartres. I believe you can also do a day trip to the Loire Valley to do some Chateux hopping, but probably with a tour group. There are other places such as Fontainbleu.

Jan 18th, 1999, 01:36 PM
Jeanie

Maureen,
Prague is actually more like 5 hours from Vienna. It is a beautiful city, but I would recommend Budapest instead. Budapest is about 3 hours away, which makes it an easier day trip. The people are so friendly and the city seems just as rich in culture and history as Prague. One of the nice things is there were far less tourists in Budapest than Prague allowing it to retain more old world charm. Just my opinion though. Oh, and definitely use the trains when going to Eastern Europe, it is not recommended to ever bring rental cars there (most companies won't even let you.)
Another trip from Vienna is a cruise on the Danube to see the beautiful monastery in Melk. We actually rode bikes from Melk to Krems, that might be fun to do with your children.
Vienna is an amazing city, I studied abroad there a few years ago. You will find plenty of things to do. Take a trip to the outskirts of the city to a Heurigen (any guide book will recommend one!).
Have a great trip.
Jeanie

Jan 23rd, 1999, 11:32 PM
tina

Look at the website www.parisdigest.com for unique ideas.