Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna- airport to city to hotel Super fast train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Vienna in a few weeks at 7:15pm. My friend arrives the following morning so I will be alone.

My current Fodor's guide mentions a "new super-fast airport link doubledecker train will begin running from Vienna's Schewechat Airport to Wien Mitte in the center of the city" It was suppossed to open Dec. 2003.
It runs every 30 minutes and only take 15 minutes.

Does anyone know if this is up and running as scheduled?

If I was able to take this train, are there taxis outside Wien Mitte available to
take me to the Konig Von Ungarn? The hotel seems walking distance but I'm not too keen on walking alone at night dragging my suitcase.

Would a taxi straight from the airport be just as fast since my arrival is not during high traffic times? I'm more concerned with convenience, speed and safety
than cost. Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:10 AM
viennese

Yes, the CAT (City Airport Train) is up and running! It departs from Schwechat airport 6 minutes and 36 minutes after every full hour (i.e. 07.06 and 07.36). Single ticket is € 15. You can buy tickets online (www.cityairporttrain.com) or at the railway station at the airport or at Wien-Mitte.
When going TO the airport, you may check in with most major airlines at the socalled City Airport Terminal Wien-Mitte. You get rid of your luggage and get your boarding pass and take a convenient ride to the airport where you have nothing to do but get on the plane!
There are taxis outside Wien-Mitte. If you are looking for convenience, take a taxi, don't walk. It is not far to your Hotel, but it should be a 10-15 minutes walk (considering you have to carry your luggage). If you want to take a walk, you can't miss the hotel once you find the right direction because all you have to do is go straight ahead.
If you take a taxi from the airport, you should arrive at your hotel about 20-30 minutes later - so there is no big difference in time. Of course this is only true when there is no traffic jam. Most of the time there is not (I drive on the route between airport and city centre myself very often), but you never know.
Hope that helps!

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:12 AM

It's been two years since I visited Vienna, but I took a cab from the airport directly, if I remember correctly. It was not too long a ride -- probably about half an hour or less.

My guess would be even with the high-speed train, given the times you quote, you'll probably need at least half an hour.

Not sure how the costs compare.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM
viennese

The train takes 16 minutes from the airport to Wien-Mitte.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow-thanks for the fast responses. I'm impressed. I wish every city had a train like that. I can't wait to get there.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Actually you'll be surprised, I think. Zurich's airport is very well-connected with the city center. So is Amsterdam's, if I remember correctly, but the train probably takes just slightly longer. I've also just read that Cophenhagen's train link with its airport is very good (probably about ten minutes).

All this puts the JFK AirTran here in NYC to shame.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM

While the train seems a good way to go, it is less than a good thing. The " Super fast" is very prone to breakdowns and late arrivals and departures. It is being used by many fewer people than expected and is a local scandal.Also, itis no faster than the old S-bahn.
Unless something has recently changed, only Star Alliance airlines ( Lufthansa, Austrian etc.)have facilities to check-in luggage at the city center on the way to the airport.If you are not flying with those airlines , you drag your bags to the train, then on and off, then up two levels to the check-in desk at the airport.Not a fun trip to the airport.
If you have several pieces of luggage ,it is a long walk at both ends of the line to your connection hauling that weight.
It is much easier to take a taxi, especially after a long flight.
The traffic is not heavy that time at night and will deliver you directly to the hotel.

As you mention speed, safety and convenience as your prime concerns, the taxi provides them all at a cost not substantially more than the train.