Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vienna-572092/)

Sofie Nov 21st, 2005 01:42 AM

Vienna

We are having a long weekend in Vienna March 25th-27th and would like to take a train trip on the Sunday outside of Vienna may be to a mountain resort or a little town or village where perhaps we could take a chair lift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we could go(maximum time 2 hrs journey out of Vienna.

molker Nov 21st, 2005 04:25 AM

A nice day trip is to Semmering- a nice old mountain town visited by many from Vienna. about 1 1/2 hours. Many trains daily from Vienna Sudbahnhof.

Look to www.semmering .at

in english also.

Chair lifts can take you up the mountain. Many nice places to eat.
In addition just the train ride through the mountains is enjoyable

Sofie Nov 23rd, 2005 01:24 AM

Thank you so much - have checked it out and it looks wonderful. Are there are other options to consider which might be a bit nearer

lawchick Nov 23rd, 2005 02:23 AM

Slightly closer to Vienna, you could check out St.Pölten or Lilienfeld (where skiing was born!)

molker Nov 23rd, 2005 08:44 AM

Regarding prior posting-

St. Polten is not a ski resort or near to any mountain. Rather it just happens to be the State Capital of Lower Austria.

Lilienfel has ski lifts but rather limited area and is s smsller town.
It is about the same travel time from Vienna- but raveling by train requires 1 or 2 transfers and many less options for numbers of trains.

The town itself is at a lower altitude , I think less than 400 meters and thus is subject to a lack of snow.
The mountain above to about 1300-1400 meters would be better.

for trains look to

www.oebb.at

austrian rail web site in english too-

lawchick Nov 23rd, 2005 12:23 PM

Servus Molker! Indeed St.Pölten is not a ski resort - but it is a small town and it is near Vienna. 1 1/2 hours seems a bit far for Sofie - so maybe she could forego the "chairlift" for the sake of a smaller town nearby. Actually - I'd just go to Graz 2 1/2 hours of scenic train travel.

bettyk Nov 23rd, 2005 02:53 PM

Agree with Molker's recommendation of Semmering. Visited there several times when we lived in Vienna. Even beautiful in the summertime.

Sofie Nov 24th, 2005 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone Semmering has won the vote

molker Nov 24th, 2005 10:48 AM

Good Choice! Have Fun!

Irish7thSon Dec 11th, 2005 07:05 AM

If I'm not mistaken you'll be in Vienna at the tail end of the Ball Season. Get a hold of the Vienna Tourist board and get a list of all the Balls. There are hundreds of them for all occassions. I went to the Costume Ball at the Hapsburg Palace. It was absolutely fabulous. One week prior to the Ball I took waltz lessons every day. Then I dressed in period costume and attended the Ball. Everyone was dressed impeccably with wigs, powder, gowns and frills. Each visitor was properly announced with professional pictures taken. There were two full orchestras (one all male, one all female - all in cosutme) and they played Vienna Waltzes alternately and consistently until the wee hours. I have never heard such wonderful exhilarating music. This was truly one of the best weekend getaways I have ever experienced.