Videos of Biking Around Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are missing Paris and need a little fix to get over your Paris separation anxiety I've got just the cure. Here are some videos I made while biking around the touristy areas. Videos include Notre Dame and Ile de la Cité, The Louvre and along the Right Bank, Paris Plage, Bois de Vincennes/Lac Daumesnil and Rue de Rivoli. Click on the link below and start pedaling.

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ad=4385&page=1
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Apparently I have nothing to do either, 'cause I just watched all your videos ;-) They're great! But I have to ask about the mechanics involved here... Watching the first video I thought you might have a bike mounted camera since the video was straight ahead the whole time--until toward the end--when I saw the video move to the left as if you were turning your head. That had me worried for the earlier part of the video where I saw no head turning. I hope you're not risking oncoming traffic just to keep the video straight! Next time, might I suggest ongoing commentary of where you are, what you're seeing (like a shout out on the butt-grab), what you're passing, etc.

Those are fun, thanks for posting!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sidny - No, I have no bike mounted helmet cam. I just hold the camera in one hand and keep the other hand on the handlebar. I've thought about the helmet cam but here's the problem. You can only film what is directly in front of you and if I turn my head to film something off to the side it means taking my eyes off what is in front of me. If I hold the camera in my hand I can keep looking straight ahead and am free to move the cam to catch anything of interest off to the side. I'll consider your suggestion of ongoing commentary the next time. I wasn't sure if anyone wanted to hear me yakking. Thanks for watching and for the nice comments. Stay tuned for more of my goofy biking adventures.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:54 AM

That was a pretty smooth ride, except for the cobblestones. At one point in the bus lane you picked up so much speed I thought you might actually be driving a bus.

Thanks for showing Paris Plage. I had always wondered what it looked like. And the wooded areas seemed so rural.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks FMT. I am so glad I am not coming to Paris in July/August. Wow..the crowds around Notre Dame. But then it might be that way all the time.

DaveMM
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks, FMT. I enjoyed them all. I was in Paris in June and you're making me itch to go back!
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Coquelicot - Yes, the cobblestones do shake up ones intestines just a bit. The beauty of the bike vs. the bus is most of the time I get where I want to go faster than any bus could take you, and without the hoards of passengers giving you claustrophobia.

The woods on either side of Paris are the only places close to the city where you can escape the buildings and crowds of people.

DaveMM - There are always crowds at Notre Dame any time of the year but don't be put off by them. Even when the line to go into the cathedral stretches from the front door to near the back of the plaza it moves quite quickly and you probably won't have to wait in line more than 10 or 15 minutes max. to get inside.

Hersey - Drop me a line next time you come to Paris and I'll show you some great rides.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM

I just watched all of them too and wow, thank you! I sent the link to DD who will be spending next summer on exchange in Paris. We have been a few times, so really enjoyed seeing it from your perspective. Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

mms - Glad you enjoyed the videos. I hope this encourages DD to get on a bike a ride through the city. You are welcome.