Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Victoria Station area hotels? or am i nuts?

Notices

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 07:12 PM
EPerez

We have a 24-hour overnight layover in London next March: we're flying into town in the morning at Heathrow and flying out the next midday via Gatwick.
Our travel agent suggested we overnight near Gatwick and use the tube to do some brief sightseeing. But I'm thinking it's terribly overpriced at the airport and kind of a waste not to be in town for the night. Instead, I'm thinking of finding a mid-priced room in the US$100-130 range near Victoria Station (since an express train goes to Gatwick from here). Does anyone have any suggestions for such accomodations? I've seen the Travel Inn County Hall mentioned in this forum for instance. Any others?
Or should I just listen to the travel professionals and stick with the Gatwick area?

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 08:19 PM
Michael

I've stayed twice at the Holiday Inn Express--not too far away from Victoria Station. It seemed relatively modern and it was a comfortable place to stay. Of course there's private baths, but don't look for an actual bathtub there. Buffet breakfast comes with the room.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 04:06 AM
EPerez

Thanks Michael. Is Victoria Station easy to get in and out of with luggage. I've seen others in this forum complain about how tough it is to get through stations with luggage?

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 05:26 AM
Jo

If coming via the underground, you will have sets of stairs to climb up and down (no lifts and escalators only on some lines). Try and time it so you are off peak - Victoria is a busy station. What you will take to Gatwick is an overland train - no problems there.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 05:47 AM
Scott K

A word of caution from my agent-if you fly out in the morning the trains will be VERY crowded from Victoria which is most likely why your agent advised you to stay near the airport. Nothing worse than wondering if you can make it on time. By the by, where are you going(just curious)?

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 05:53 AM
Dawn

2 years ago, after 2 and 1/2 weeks in Italy we stopped in London on our way back to the US. We stayed downtown, actually Earl's Court. Friends were staying in a hotel and we were hooking up so we decided to stay in the same hotel. It was a huge hassle with our luggage, etc. Last year, we did the same thing but decided to stay at a hotel close to Heathrow. It worked out much better. The luggage was not nearly the issue it had been before. Yes, the hotel was not quaint, but the room and service was better. Also, we were never in the room, we got up early, had something to eat, and could either walk to the tube, about 4 blocks, or take the shuttle from the hotel to heathrow and pick up the tube there. It was a 5 minute ride. And most nights we did not get back to the hotel to close to midnight. I know nothing about Gatwick, but it is further away from London. I only suggest for one night in London, it's not worth the hassle, unless you have a private driver to and from the airport.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 07:58 AM
EPerez

In answer to ScottK, we're our stopover in London is en-route from Spain, courtesy of BA. Thanks very much for all your responses.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 11:04 AM
Nigel Doran

I would recommend staying at or near the airport, perhaps in an Ibis, Travelodge or similar kind of hotel, and then take the train in to London Victoria from Gatwick. It will be about £16 return (round trip) each. At least that way you are not going to worry about lugging your luggage all the way in and out, and you would still have to pay the same amount in train fare if you decided to stay at Victoria. The train only takes about 30 minutes anyway so it is not a big deal. They run very early to very late, and it could be that they run 24 hours but you would need to check, so no problems about getting a full day in London.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 11:08 AM
Nigel Doran

Whoops!
Didn't see that you were flying in to H'row and out of G'wick. In that case, it might well be best to get a hotel in the city centre at Victoria, and at least that way you will be near to the station to get to Gatwick. As I said, the trains run frequently and there are at least 2 operators, so you can be sure of getting there.
To save on time, get the H'row Express into Paddington. It only takes 15 minutes and if time is of a premium it might well beat the hassle of taking the tube (costing about £4 and taking about 50 mins).
This knowledge might persuade you of the good sense in packing light!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:27 AM
EPerez

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Our screwy flight schedule has us using both airports so we'll have to make do.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 11:49 AM
elvira

This took me two days (and many of my brain cells) to figure out (an alternative): Have just a daypack (with stuff for an overnight) when you land at Heathrow; have BA check through your luggage for the next day's flight, since it's BA's routing they should do that). Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, and get a hotel there. Since you're going to be sightseeing in areas other than Victoria Station or Paddington, you won't be near your hotel anyway. So check in (you might be too early to check in, but at least let the hotel know you're in town, and you can leave your daypack with the front desk, if you can't check in) and go sightseeing. The next morning, check out and take the tube to Victoria, do a little sightseeing, and pick up the Gatwick Express (most airlines want you at check-in two hours before your flight, so keep that in mind). All you'll have is your daypack. This all hinges on BA willing to check through your luggage...

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 05:20 PM
EPerez

Wow Elvira. Great idea. Let's see if British Airways will cooperate. Thanks for the brainwork.