Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   VICO EQUENSE, SANT AGNELLO...?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vico-equense-sant-agnello-777636/)

ekscrunchy Apr 7th, 2009 11:17 AM

VICO EQUENSE, SANT AGNELLO...??

After a visit to Ischia, we want to spend 1-2 days on the mainland, in a place with easy access to both the Sorrento ferry docks and to Naples airport.

We would like to be in an area with a local feeling, good, non-touristy restaurants, and access to sea swimming.

I had settled on this hotel, but am dismayed at all of the obviously fake reviews which have placed it in the top position for Vico on TripAdvisor.

http://www.grandhotelangiolieri.it/

Not finding other great-looking hotels in the Vico area, I began looking at Sant Agnello and would like opinions of those who have stayed here, and hotel recommendations.
We prefer a hotel that has a family feeling and does not cater to tour groups; a hotel that is not dominated by Anglo-American tourists would be great, if there is such a thing in the Sorrento area. Sea views are a big plus.

Since we will not have a car, I have to rule out the lovely looking agriturismi in the Sorrento hills.

Both of these hotels in Sant Agnello look nice:

http://www.mediterraneosorrento.com/
http://www.villagardenhotel.com/

Any comments will be much appreciated! Many thanks!

ekscrunchy Apr 7th, 2009 01:52 PM

I've spent what feels like hours searching for hotels in Vico, Meta, and Sant Agnello. (TA lists many hotels as simply being in "Sorrento," even if they are in Meta, Sant Agnello, etc..)

Here is a B&B in Sant Agnello to add to the list of possibilities above; excellent, seemingly legit, reviews on TA--

http://www.ilrosetosorrento.com/where_we_are.asp

bellastarr Apr 7th, 2009 02:29 PM

Hi ekscrunchy,
I've stayed in Sant'agnello during Settimana Sancta a couple of times.
In fact I stayed just near the first hotel you linked here. I stayed in a residenza owned by an elderly woman who has since passed away, but her house was interesting because in "olden times" it was lived in by boatbuilders, and the ground floor apartment I had had an elevator near the door that went down under the house to a tunnel that you could walk through to get to the beach (used by locals-I think you can see it in the hotel photo gellery). They used to use the tunnel to carry the boats they built out to launch them at the beach, and my apartment was where the boats were originally built. A bit of history.
A bit of gossip: She (the proprietress of the residenza) was the subject of much animated and resentful discussion amongst some of the Sant'agnellese for her habit of stationing her (rather substantial) presence on a stool at the mouth of the tunnel where the beach began, and collecting money for the right to pass by to go for a swim!!! Shocking! LOL. In fact, I used to enjoy visiting with her in her Penthouse apartment in that house and she gave me some good lessons in making a decent cup of Italian coffee, so I remember her quite fondly.

These hotels look rather nice to me (I've never stayed in either one though) as they are protected somewhat from the vespa drone on the main drag into Sorrento. I used to walk into Sorrento proper from Sant'agnello- about a 20 minute walk or so.
Sant'agnello has a nice Circumsuviana station (easy to get to VIco (for restaurants) and/or Pompeii and a small town feel. The Sita Bus that takes you over the mountain to the Amalfi Coast stops just beside the Piazza. I wish I could help with restaurants in SA but I used to eat with some local friends at home there. And the food was great, but not for sale! (just kidding)

I think the Roseta is a very local type place and might be fun but am not sure about the location (can't remember seeing it.)

Oh well, my response clearly lacks much practical advice- mi dispiace!!!
Good luck in your search.

Marianna Apr 7th, 2009 02:31 PM

Hi ekscrunchy, we stay in Sant Agnello when we visit Sorrento. We like the area.

The Mediterraneo is in a nice location by the Bay. It is near the Parco de Principi and the Cocumella - a 5 minute walk from these hotels to the Mediterraneo. It is in a relatively less touristy area than hotels closer to Sorrento. It is a do-able walk to Sorrento (maybe 25-30 minutes) but can be a challenge in hot weather. There is a bus stop nearby though. Nearby, there are several restaurants and places to get coffee or a glass of wine. I don't know anything about the other places you are considering.

Have a great trip!

ekscrunchy Apr 8th, 2009 02:40 AM

Bella! I am so glad that you are feeling better. Good story!

The "small-town feel" is what I am looking for, so Sant Agnello might fit the bill. I was afraid that it might be just an edge of the Sorrrento tourist sprawl and thronged only with groups of English-speaking tourists. But the fact that you stayed there with friends, and what you write, puts it into contention for me!

Sometimes it is difficult (for me) to understand that there is no one "right" answer!! I will check prices in Vico, Seiano and Sant Agnello...from a quick look it seems as if the hotels in all three spots are quite a bit less than those in Sorrento proper. It also sounds as if the area is well worth exploring.... Not much written here about the Sorrentine peninsula, other than as a base for hoping to the islands and to Pompeii.

unclegus Apr 8th, 2009 02:57 AM

http://www.hoteloriente.it/inglese/index.html
i stayed in this hotel in Vico a few years ago,but it does get a few large toiur parties,also it is set into the cliff and has no lifts.it was 89 steps form our room upto the road level........... yes i counted them several times.
it was a good hotel and the food was very good.ythe location is just a stones throw from the train and bus station.
I very much liked Vico and it is quite a small town with enough resturants and bars to allow you to try a few different places.
Sorrento is only 15 minutes away by the Circumvesuviana train.
On my second trip to the area i stayed in Sorrento itself which i very much liked,but preferd the quietness of Vico.

Marianna Apr 8th, 2009 04:00 AM

I have always wanted to try this place:

http://www.mamicamilla.com/Dine_in_Sorrento.php

I think you can dine here and not be participating in the cooking school.

ekscrunchy Apr 8th, 2009 04:18 AM

Thanks to you both for your comments! I had read about the school; someone here has taken the course and it sounds excellent!

Here is another option in Vico--120 rack rates for double room with breakfast; it does host tour groups but the few reviews I've found are good..

http://www.aequahotel.it/e1.htm

kybourbon Apr 8th, 2009 08:39 AM

Both the Mediterraneo and Oriente are used by American tour groups so I doubt you will avoid other English-speaking tourists.

ekscrunchy Apr 8th, 2009 09:06 AM

Ky: What is your opinion of Sant Agnello? I know I cannot avoid English speaking tourists, but I would rather stay in an area where there were some Italian tourists, too!

ekscrunchy Apr 9th, 2009 03:48 AM

From Travel and Leisure magazine (50 Best Romantic Getaways):

Vico Equense, Italy

Secret Village.

A crenellated castle, pink-washed clifftop church, and pebbled beach make Vico Equense perhaps the most dramatic—though surprisingly undiscovered—village on the Sorrento Coast. On the main coastal road, Annamaria Cuomo and Salvatore De Gennaro serve cured meats and cheeses at their epicurean market La Tradizione (lunch for two $40). At Torre del Saracino (lunch for two $190), chef Gennaro Esposito creates innovative dishes, such as risotto with cod and figs, in a seventh-century tower.

Stay just outside the village at the Hotel Capo La Gala (doubles from $260), a stone-studded cliffside lodge. The hotel has a nautical theme: porthole windows and hurricane lamps in the lobby, blue-and-white guest rooms accented with miniature model boats. Book one of the nine Classic rooms, and take your breakfast (cappuccino and croissants) on the roomy balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples.

50 Best Romantic Getaways

kybourbon Apr 9th, 2009 06:02 AM

eks - I didn't end up staying at either. I seriously considered the Mediterraneo last fall as they had some excellent prices, but changed my mind when my travel partner backed out. I have noticed it listed by quite a few adult tours as a hotel they use.

As for the Oriente, this one used to pop-up as a hotel on many student tours.

ekscrunchy Apr 9th, 2009 06:50 AM

Thanks, Ky! In thinking that over, I am leaning toward eliminating the Mediterraneo because of that reason. although as you say, the prices seem reasonable.

I also added the Hotel Capo La Gaia in Vico to the list of contenders

We do not normally opt for hotels in that price range but it looks really lovely. (Although just as at the other hotels in the Vico area, there are some obviously fake reviews on TA).

In most hotels I've looked at in the Sorrento area, high season continues through September. (On Amalfi coast, many hotels lower their rates by mid- to late-September)

Hotel Mediterraneo Sant Agnello has double superior sea view for 193

Villa Garden Sant Agnello=double with full sea view and balcony-240; with side sea view=220

Capo La Gaia=standard room with sea view=280 (dropping to 200 in October!)

Grand Hotel Angiolieri= double sea view-197; deluxe double sea view, jacuzzi, and balcony=219.

I wonder if anyone here has stayed at the Capo La Gaia; I found nothing with a search..

kybourbon Apr 9th, 2009 07:04 AM

The website spells it Capo La Gala if this is the same one.
http://www.hotelcapolagala.com/posizione.htm

ekscrunchy Apr 9th, 2009 09:38 AM

Oh for goodness sakes!

No wonder I could not find the hotel in a search! I must need new glasses!

Yes, that is the same hotel--what do you think?

Thank you for pointing this out to me, Ky!!

kybourbon Apr 9th, 2009 09:54 AM

What time of year are you going? I notice above you don't plan to have a car. Capo La Gala might not be easy to reach without a car (use their map to zoom around) as it seems a bit isolated, but it looks like fun.

ekscrunchy Apr 10th, 2009 08:11 AM

We plan to go towards the end of September, spending most of the week on Ischia, followed by a few days on the mainland before heading home via Naples airport.

The Capo la Gala does look gorgeous! (Expensive, too!) They appear to have a shuttle to town, as does the Angiolieri. Very few reviews on these places..

ekscrunchy Apr 12th, 2009 01:57 PM

Here is a question for Steve JAmes, or anyone else proficient in the ferry/fast boat network.

We will be coming from Ischia. There is only one ferry per day from Ischia to Sorrento, about 5pm.

If we plan to stay in Vico, we would want to arrive earlier than late afternoon, if possible.

SteveJAmes recommended ferrying from Ischia to Capri and then Capri-Sorrento.

But this route appears to be less direct than Ischia-Naples-Sorrento.

What about traveling Ischia to Naples (earlier than 5pm) and then taking a second ferry to Vico or to Sorrento which might allow us to arrive in the Sorrento area around mid-day..??

Are there ferries direct from Naples to Vico in late September, or has that service usually been suspended by then?

ekscrunchy Apr 13th, 2009 02:59 AM

Hoping Steve James will see this....

ekscrunchy Apr 14th, 2009 02:56 AM

ttt