Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vevey: Hotel Negociants vs. Hotel de Famille?

Nov 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Hello, all!

Anyone have any thoughts, pros and/or cons, about the Hotel Negociants vs. the Hotel de Famille? Location? Comfort? Atmosphere? Cleanliness? Price? Noise level? Etc.? I have read much here about Negociants, but not so much about de Famille, and am looking especially for a comparison between the two, though any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks much!
Nov 14th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Hi suspire,

I'm not sure if my thoughts will be helpful -- as I haven't stayed at either one!!

But one of my friends has been to Negociants and has recommended it; on that recommendation, other Fodorites have stayed there and been happy. I guess you've seen some of those posts.

But as for the comparison --

Negociants is a two-star, is a bit cheaper, and has rooms that are a bit more basic. Its location is right in the old town, a bit away from the train station, so maybe a bit quieter.

de Famille is a three-star, is a bit more expensive, and seems to have rooms that are a bit more plush. Its location seems to be right across from the train station, and that's a busy and noisy area.

Have you found their websites? Negociants is at www.hotelnegociants.ch, and de Famille is at www.hotelfamille.ch. You can compare the rooms, prices, & locations.

I hope that helps!

s
Nov 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Swan - that does help, thank you! I'm pushing for the Negociants, but wanted to have some facts to back it up when I take my recommendation back to my group. Thank you!!
Nov 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Another vote from someone who hasn't stayed at either -lol! but LOVES the town of Vevey (I've been there 5 trips to date).

I am only familiar with Negociants and from the outside, but it is in an excellent location near (on?) the pedestrian street of the old town.

I am lucky enough to stay with friends who live there, but if I were going to try a hotel in Vevey, this would be my pick.

Don't miss the open air farmers' street market... my favorite thing to do in town! Tues AM on the pedestrian streets and Sat AM set up on the town square (between the train station and the lake). Fri AM in Montreux.
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Suze - I keep hearing about the markets, but I'm not sure we'll be there on the right days! Tuesday would be a possibility - I'll definitely look into that. I love farmers markets!!! Do you know how early it starts? I'll have to search around the web to see if I can find that out. Thanks!
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Well, it looks like the Tuesday morning market might work out perfectly for us. Do you know which pedestrian streets the market is on, or will it be easy to find?

Thanks!
Man, I'm so excited already! August is so far away!