Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Veterans, Help with possible United Strike (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/veterans-help-with-possible-united-strike-163729/)

L Feb 21st, 2002 06:12 PM

Veterans, Help with possible United Strike

Can anyone envolved in an airline strike tell me what to expect, if one should occur and the airline goes bankrupt. I have a United connection to Air France. The airlines are not telling me anything.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance

Leslie Feb 21st, 2002 06:24 PM

You need to answer a few questions -- did you buy your ticket directly from United, Orbitz, a consolidator? It does make a difference. If you didn't buy your ticket directly from United, you should check to see what the rules are from that source. Did you buy a travel insurance policy that covers an airline's bankruptcy? If not, you might check into buying insurance.<BR><BR>I had purchased a Sabena ticket through Orbitz, prior to Sabena's demise. I was lucky. Orbitz has a policy to fully refund or reaccommodate passengers who are holding tickets from bankrupt airlines that are not flying. I received a refund 15 days after I returned the ticket to Orbitz, as the airlines flying the same route were not accommodating Sabena passengers. As I said, I was lucky, but passengers that bought tickets directly from Sabena are now creditors to the bankruptcy.

elvira Feb 21st, 2002 06:25 PM

Ugh. There's no one answer.<BR><BR>Strikes: USUALLY, other airlines are given the ok to honor the tickets on their airlines. Sometimes, you can get your tickets refunded with no penalty, then you just buy tickets on another airline. <BR><BR>Bankruptcy: sometimes the airline still flies (depends on where they are in the filings, the courts, blah blah blah); sometimes it's like strikes - other airlines honor the tickets. <BR><BR>My advice: if you can get a refund on your tickets without a severe penalty, do it and rebook on another airline. If UAL wants $150 per ticket, don't. Wait it out, but be prepared for changing your schedule (i.e. OtherAirline will accept your Friday flight ticket for their Saturday flight). Friends and I have been through bankruptcies, strikes and the blue flu several times, and it's always worked out okay as long as we were reasonably flexible about flights.<BR><BR>S***ty way to start a vacation, n'est-ce pas?

Leslie Feb 21st, 2002 06:59 PM

Check your ticket -- does it say United or Air France in the left hand upper corner where it says "Issued To". If it says Air France, then you should easily be able to get another flight if United doesn't fly. If it says United, then you have a ticket issued on United ticket stock, and will have to wait for reaccommodation in the worst case scenario. The reason I say this is, that if United does file bankruptcy, you become a creditor of United, and reaccommodation will be on a case by case basis. Some airlines will only allot a certain number of seats to stranded United passengers, and they might just allow you to buy a heavily discounted ticket instead of accepting your ticket as payment in full. If the ticket is drawn on Air France stock, then Air France can endorse your ticket over to another airline and will make payment to that airline for your seat.

Sue Feb 21st, 2002 08:04 PM

L<BR><BR>I have several friends that are mechanics at United Airlines (O'Hare) and they have kept me up to date on what is happening.<BR><BR>They have come to an agreement and the vote is (I believe) March 3rd. <BR><BR>Unless something falls apart in the meantime, I don't think we need to worry.<BR><BR>Sue

topper Feb 22nd, 2002 09:07 PM

ttt