Very short trip in Andelusia help

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very short trip in Andelusia help

We will be spending 2 nights in Granada, 2 in Malaga and 2 in Seville. Should we drive between the cities? If not, what would the best way to travel? What is the best way to get Alhambra tickets? Any tips on how to best spend our time? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 06:57 PM
kja

Are you sure you want to include Malaga? It is not in the same league as Granada, Sevilla, or Cordoba.

FWIW:
  • 2 nights is JUST enough for the Alhambra (book in advance!); give it more if you want to see any of the city's other treasures. I wanted 3 full days there.
  • Even a first, highlights-only, visit to Sevilla easily takes 3 full days, more if you want to include Cordoba. (Many people visit Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla, but many of us think that Cordoba deserves at least one overnight, if not two.) I wanted 3 full days in Sevilla and 2 full days in Cordoba.
No matter what any of us say, nor how well intentioned our input, ONLY you can decide how best to spend your time. If you haven't already done so, please get a good guide book. The cost will be nugatory in comparison to the cost of your trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 03:59 AM

We’re planning a visit to Andalucia next March, 11 nights on the ground, we fly back home Day 12. We’re looking at 4 nights in Sevilla, 2 each in Cordoba and Ronda and 3 in Granada. Plan on taking the train or bus between cities, we fly in and out of Sevilla, heading straight to Cordoba on arrival.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 05:13 AM

While we really enjoyed Malaga, I agree with KJA that Malaga is not in the same league as Sevilla, Granada, and Cordoba. With only 6 nights, I recommend 4 nights in Sevilla and 2 nights in Granada. This way you could visit Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla if you decide you want to see Cordoba (although I believe you need 3 full days to see Seville's highlights). If you had more time, I would suggest spending one or two nights in Cordoba.

The best way to travel for your trip is by train or bus.

Good guidebooks are Michelin Green Guides, Rough Guides, Lonely Planet.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 07:43 AM

We also had only 6 nights when I travelled to Andalusia for the first time.

1 Arrived by plane to Sevilla in the morning, night in Sevilla.
2 Morning in Sevilla, around noon train to Cordoba, night in Cordoba
3 Morning in Cordoba, afternoon bus to Granada, night in Granada
4 Granada, night in Granada
5 Morning in Granada, afternoon train to Ronda, night in Ronda
6 Morning train to Algeciras, visiting Gibraltar, night in Algeciras
7 Morning bus to Malaga, flight home late evening

Given your very short time it would help to know the details of your trip which are already set(if any). Like where do you fly in and out? When do you arrive, when do you leave? The difference between a 7 am flight home and a 10 pm flight home is a full day.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 07:54 AM

<<Any tips on how to best spend our time? >>

Well, not the way you're planning it. Two nights = 1 day, so something has to give IMO. I'd drop Malaga on such a short trip, and divide my time between Granada and Cordoba. You really don't even have time to do any justice to Sevilla, which occupied me for almost a full week without any overlap or boredom. Trains or buses are the way to get around.

Or just visit Sevilla and Cordoba and save Granada for another trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 08:20 AM

" Two nights = 1 day, so something has to give"

In theory.

In practice a 1 night stay may look like arrival in the morning of day 1, 1 night's stay and departure on the evening of day 2, which ends up 1 night=2 days.

2 nights could mean 1 day, 2 days or even 3 days in the most ideal case.

My advice to the OP: The more details you give us, the better advice you get. Input and output.