very funny film

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:03 PM
pastis

very funny film

With these sad times, we needed somthing cheery so we headed for the matinee of the French film, THE CLOSET. If you like Gerard Depardeiu, you'll appreciate his histerical performance. The whole cast is fabulous, so if you can't get to Paris, go this way.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Annette

In case theatres near you are not running The Closet, (which sounds like something I would like!) you might want to check out Rat Race. It's cast includes Whoppi Goldberg, Jon Lovitz, John Cleese, Rowen Atkinson, Cuba Gooding Jr and other talents. We took our daughter and I wasn't expecting much but laughed long and hard practically throughout. Just when you think it is way too mean spirited it turns around and surprises you. Sorry, not about Europe but a good diversion to take your mind off horrible events for a couple hours.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Patrick

I agree; perhaps one of the funniest films of the summer (not that that's saying much). This summer we stayed in the US instead of our usual trip to Europe, but during our month stay in LA we saw about 10 foreign films -- the ones that are never shown in our home town. It was almost like visiting Europe. In addition to The Closet, I highly recommend Bread and Tulips (Italy, mainly Venice), Adventures of Felix (a guy traveling across France to find a father he's never met), 101 Reykjavik (I never even knew they made Icelandic movies), and An American Rhapsody (mainly in English, but with scenes in Hungary in Hungarian and subtitled).

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Patrick

Please note that while I was typing my response to pastis, Annette posted her response. My "I agree" comment refers to The Closet and not to Rat Race, which I found pretty funny if not downright silly -- but it was no It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World to which it tries to compare itself.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Jean

Another French film from the same people as "The Closet": "The Dinner Party." It's probably out on video. I think the humor is less universal, more French. Very funny.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Dee

No,Patrick, Rat Race wasn't "It's a Mad, Mad World", but considering what other choices there were, it was funny enough to make me enjoy it,not filled with expletives and gratuitous sex, and made me think that my $ was well spent for a few hours of relief from the constant news reports. The Depression had Ginger Rogers and Fred Estaire (sp?) in ball gowns and tuxes, and WWII had the humor of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, let us have some "innocent" humor that we can enjoy without our fingers on the mute button when it comes out in video for viewing for the family!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Patrick

Whoa, I hope you didn't think I wasn't agreeing that Rat Race was funny. It was very funny and entertaining. When I said "downright silly", I meant that in a good way. The reason for the statement about Mad. . . World is that we were in LA at the time of Rat Race release and everybody seemed to be trying to make that comparison, as if Rat Race would become a classic. I don't think so!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Faina

Hi, I went to see "the closet" 2 weeks ago, still runs in San Francisco, and the main reason was of course Depardeou (spelling?). He was the only one I did not like in this movie, him playing this role I mean, not the character. Overall it's a wonderfully funny movie, I'd recommend it for every adult. All actors are great! I laughed non-stop!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Arabella

I saw "The Closet" about two months ago at the art theatre here in Charlotte and thought it was hilarious -- especially the parade scene.

Another French comedy is opening here soon. It's called "Cours Toujuurs." Has anyone seen it?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Sammy

Jean: I also saw The Dinner Party. I thought the premise was hilarious. I wouldn't mind a prequel to it, in which they actually are at a party for the length of the movie, and see the funny things that the "guests" can come up with. A few suggestions might be- a used staple collector, a siberian hotdog vendor, a toothpaste sculpture. Any one else have any idea for entertaining dinner party "guests"?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Capo

Haven't seen The Closet, but I did finally see Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge about a month ago, and loved it! Luhrmann, who also directed the hilarious Strictly Ballroom, has made a visually-stunning and creative film (the opening credits are particulary striking) which is also pretty funny.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Janine

This is a great thread - I think we could all do with a little light relief just now.

Capo, I also loved Moulin Rouge (and practically anything Baz Luhrmann has directed, including "Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet"). Giving a further plug to the Australian Film Industry, if you get the opportunity to see it, "The Bank" is a great movie just out here that will give many a wry laugh to anyone who's ever had problems with banks. And there's a great twist!!