We're thinking of taking a driving trip encompassing Toulouse, Sarlat, train to Paris, for between 16 - 18 days this fall. We haven't finalized anything yet, just beginning the process.
One concern that's at the back of my mind is the roads, not the conditions per se, but I'm having difficulty finding information about the steepness of the grades, getting, for example to Carcassone. Les Baux, St. Paul de Vence, no problem. We would never consider driving in Switzerland or the Amalfi coast, but managed quite well in Ireland. I went along the Napoleon Trail (can't recall exactly where) as a passenger, and knew immediately we'd never be able to manage it ourselves. We went to Dingle, but did not get there via the Connor Pass. Going up and down isn't a problem, but straight up, mountain on one side of the car and sheer drop on the other makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. Lots of advice and warnings and information about driving in Sorrento and Amalfi and Dingle and the NW of Ireland, but I'm coming up empty about the Dordogne and Languedoc regions.
We've driven in the Canadian Rockies to Banff, Lake Louise, just fine, but it's a gently grade getting there.
I want the driver to enjoy this trip, not break out in hives just thinking about it!
I'd appreciate any advice, any areas you would recommend as a no-go for us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 land vs river cruise
- 2 10 days in europe
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 European honeymoon help needed
- 5 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 6 Portugal
- 7 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 8 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.
- 9 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 10 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 11 Where to stay in Naples?
- 12 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 13 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 14 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 15 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 16 Browsing Barcelona
- 17 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Croatia in mid/late October
- 20 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 21 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 22 Help with Venice Trip?
- 23 Dubrovnik
- 24 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 25 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna