Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ARRIVING IN SHANNON 9 NIGHTS 3 NIGHTS IN LONDON

Old May 24th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in desperate need of and ITINERARY EMERGENCY! Family of 4 traveling into Shannon
1-night in Dingle, 2-nights Killarney, 3-nights Kinsale, 2-nights Kilkenny, 1-night in Dublin then flying to London for 3-nights. All hotels are booked and rental car. The problem is I am confused at what to do when. Any help would be appreciated. Must sees....Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Rock of Cashel, Bantry House, Blarney Castle, Blarney Woolen Mills, Trinity College, Book of Kells, St. Patricks, Oh and by all means Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery.....Thank you for any advice.
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:28 PM

IMHO you have seriously overbooked yourselves. Your 9 nights in Ireland will yield 8 days for sightseeing. It takes basically a full day EACH to do Ring of Kerry and Dingle. One night in Dublin will yield maybe a half day for sightseeing so I don't think it's possible to see all you have mentioned in that city. If you are driving, be aware that you will average, maybe, 40 mph between destinations. I assume "family of four" means wife, husband and two children? If the children are young, this will be an especially difficult itinerary. I hate to throw cold water on your plans, but you might want to re-think your itinerary.
Old May 25th, 2014, 12:22 AM

How are you going to Fit Moher into the trip from Shannon to Dingle!! Why 3 days in Kinsale???

Consider...
Arrive Shannon stay in Ennis as 1st night jet lag revival day,, I know you don't get jet lag no one ever does it must be an urban myth? From Ennis you can head out and see the Cliffs and possibly a bit more..

Day 2 Down to Dingle, this being the essential must see fishing port come Irish disneyland. call into Bunratty folk park for the youngsters maybe Adare and Listowel before crossing the Connor Pass to Dingle.

Day 3 Slea head and down to Killarney where you can fit in some of the National Park and maybe Mucross House/gardens/farm.

Day 4 stay Killarney for Ring of Kerry or Gap of Dunloe and Black valley.

Day 5 head south over the Healy Pass on Beara the non tourist version of Ireland or at least south west peninsula, the same size as Dingle but no tour bus's, Rick Steves or solo dolphin. End the day in Kinsale.

Day 6 from Kinsale take the ferry across the river to Cobh and Fota? then up to Blarney before droping back to Kinsale and buying an expensive meal because as everyone knows Kinsale is the only place in Ireland where the food is worth eating?

Day 7 aim for Kilkenny via Cahir and Cashel or along the south coast via Jamesons (Middleton) and Waterford.

Day 8 aim to get the car to dropping point calling into Glendalough and the Wicklow mountains or maybe up via the Rock of Dunamasse and then the National Stud/Japanese Gardens.

Day 9 Hopper Bus round the sights of Dublin.
Old May 25th, 2014, 12:24 AM

Oh sorry forget all that,, I missed where you booked the Hotels Before asking peoples opinions..
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:26 AM

By now you will have gathered that your plan is not the best but with your accommodation already booked, it's a matter of making the best of a bad lot, to use local parlance.
Two presumptions: you arrive in Shannon at crack of dawn and that your hotel reservations cannot be amended.
Accepting the jet lag issue, a dawn arrival does provide for sufficient time to visit the Cliffs of Mother and reach Dingle by evening. Would both adults be capable of sharing the driving duties in light of the tiredness factor?
Day 2 could take in Conor Pass, Slea Head drive and at a push, a short trip in the harbour to see Fungie, the resident dolphin. Drive onward to Killarney.
Day 3 can be given over to RoK.
Day 4. Drive through West Cork taking in Bantry House.
Day 5. At this point, mutiny is a possibility from the younger tourists, so perhaps put the car keys away and stroll out to Charles Fort from your hotel.
Day 6. Blarney, Cork city, maybe Fota Island and Titanic exhibition in Cobh.
Day 7. Rock of Cashel en route to Kilkenny; perhaps include Cahir Castle in the plan.
Day 8. Explore Kilkenny at your leisure.
Day 9. Make it to Dublin to maximize your available time; the hop on, hop off bus might be the best way to go. The Book of Kells is in Trinity College so there's two-in-one;expect a queue though!
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies....Kids are 16 and 13 and love to travel so that won't be a problem. Now to fix this trip up and have it all make sense.....Arriving in Shannon at 6am should take care of doing the Cliffs and traveling to Dingle especially if we do the Ferry? is that correct? Thanks so much for your help...We usually tend to pack in as much as possible so I think the long days will be ok.
Old May 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM

The Killimer - Tarbert ferry will give you a break from the driving but be aware that the roads of West Clare will probably take you a little longer than you may expect. Some opt to use the better road around Limerick city.
Given your enthusiasm to see as much as possible, I will add another stop to your itinerary; when passing into West Cork, take a break in Glengarriff and take one of the boats that bring visitors over to Garnish Island, a beautiful island garden that has flourished thanks to a microclimate that is in some way related to the Gulf Stream.
Old May 25th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Be sure to post a trip report when you return.
Old May 25th, 2014, 06:54 AM

I would knock a night off in Kinsale and add one to Dublin. Skip Jameson, nothing made there, just a how to on how they make it, a bar and a gift shop. I like Guinness just for the view from the Gravity bar.
Old May 25th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Straight off a transatlantic flight stick to the main roads and don't opt for the Shannon Ferry..

You will find more than one experienced visitor who have done the Shannon to Dingle, direct, run wouldn't recommend it.. Adding a trip up to Moher and you are in danger of finding out why car insurance for transatlantic visitors is so so high... Tralee is a town to drive past not visit by ambulance..

Skip the Cliffs if you are not going on a 3 hour diversion to see anything else apart from 1/2 mile tourist attraction.. The Burren and Cliffs "Eco Park" covers twice the area of the whole Dingle Peninsula.
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Tony2phones - why not do the ferry? (I was planning to do that as a short cut)
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Kids are 16 and 13 and love to travel so that won't be a problem.>We usually tend to pack in as much as possible so I think the long days will be ok.
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Due to the nature and quality of roads between the Cliffs and Ferry, (plus the time spent waiting for and crossing )it's usually quicker AND cheaper to return to Ennis and grab the motorway down, around Limerick via the Tunnel (1 Euro 90 Toll)and then take the N21 via Tralee.

Experienced Ireland drivers MIGHT be able to average 35-45 MPH, but it is MY experience that First Timers do well to average 30 MPH --
There is TOO much that is 'New and Different'.

Coming off an over-night flight and then driving more than two hours is bordering on suicidal if you've never experienced how jet lag can affect you.

FORGET the Cliffs -- Dingle/Slea Head and ROK offer PLENTY of rugged, rocky seascapes along the roadside. Besides, they aren't even the biggest or most beautiful Sea Cliffs in Ireland -- Merely the most famous!
If you Can't/Won't give them up, you NEED to shuffle your accommodations to allow a night in Doolin or Ennis.
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:03 AM

Its about 150 miles by the main road and will take you about 3 1/2 hours by ferry it is only about 110 miles and if you drive straight on the ferry without waiting it will take you getting on for 4 hours..
It doesn't take much working out that when 40 extra miles saves 30 minutes then the shorter distance must be on not so nice roads??

I do sometimes think I waste my efforts, why pass 1/2 a century of experience and local on the ground knowledge. Sure a map and a computer and especially those things in the hands of a numpty travel Agent do the job so much better.. don't they??
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Speaking of Maps here's one I prepared earlier.. http://goo.gl/maps/pKSdX
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone although I'm torn between the ferry or the tunnel. you have all been very kind and very helpful i appreciate your efforts in helping us.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

tony maybe you should come with us!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:41 AM

< FORGET the Cliffs -- Dingle/Slea Head and ROK offer PLENTY of rugged, rocky seascapes along the roadside. Besides, they aren't even the biggest or most beautiful Sea Cliffs in Ireland -- Merely the most famous!
If you Can't/Won't give them up, you NEED to shuffle your accommodations to allow a night in Doolin or Ennis.>

So true Italian_Chauffer, last time I was there they were searching for a jumper, ugh, very sad affair. It seems to be the place to do yourself in now. I love the cliffs from the Aran Islands also.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Ok Tony....since you are very knowledgeable on this itinerary I have started over is this any better....
arrive in Shannon at 6am land, bags, car...stop at Bunratty Castle and Folk Park catch our breath and head to the Cliffs of Moher....I know what you are about to say but if we take the Tarbert Ferry and then drive to Dingle again its a rest the kids will like it because its different. My husband said he feels comfortable driving...military guy...

Day 1 in Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Tralee to Slea Head Gallarus Oratory

Drive to Killarney 2 days

Possibly Kenmare, Moll's Gap, Ring of Kerry Bantry Bay Beara Peninsula on the way to Kinsale

Kinsale 3 days
Blarney village, Heritage town of Cashel Rock of Cashel, Drive to Cork English market St. Colman's Cathedral
Cobh Desmond Castle Harbour Cruise, Historic walking tour Charles Fort....we have these 3 days to stay put or drive a little see a little

Kilkenny 2 nights
Jameson
Waterford Tipperary Kildare or any suggestions

Dublin
Kilmainham Gaol, Guinness Storehouse Dublin Castle St Patrick's James Joyce Center Temple Bar

There is also the hop on hop off bus???????????? Green seems better than red.

OK Tony don't hold back let me know how bad this is.... I really think its planned out pretty well
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Bunratty, though CLOSE is in the wrong direction.
If you aren't going to spend a couple of hours TOURING the Folk Park and Castle, the detour is a serious waste.

Land at SNN at 6 AM and you MIGHT 'Hit the Road' by 7, but it will likely be closer to 7:30. Park at the Cliff about 9:00 and spend an hour and you MIGHT arrive at the Ferry (NO Stops)about 11:30. If you are LUCKY, you'll drive right on and spend 20 minutes on the crossing, exiting at Tarbert about Noon.

If you take the N86 into Dingle (rather than Conor Pass)that should arrive you in Dingle around 3 PM.
HOW long since your last sleep????

Driving for HOURS after an overnight flight, in a strange an unfamiliar car over strange and unfamiliar roads is NOT, 'MACHO' -- it is semi-suicidal and border-line Criminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -