Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Versailles--Is this crazy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/versailles-is-this-crazy-587309/)

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 12:03 PM

Versailles--Is this crazy?

We have an overnight trip from Newark to Paris in April, arriving 8am Sunday morning. Would it be insane to go to Versailles the first day we are there (to see the fountains on Sunday)? I know the rule is, "Keep busy walking and you'll do fine with jet lag." Or would it be better to do it another day (Monday, Tuesday, or perhaps Wednesday) and to forget about the fountains? Thanks in advance for the wisdom!

PalQ Feb 1st, 2006 12:05 PM

Versailles i think is closed on Mondays - the palace, not the gardens.

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 12:06 PM

Oh! Also to note, we are in our late 20s, healthy and somewhat "spunky." If that makes a difference...

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 12:45 PM

wow, this sure moved down the list quickly. ttt.

Travelnut Feb 1st, 2006 12:50 PM

Well... you can plan to do it, then bail if the whole RER thing doesn't 'compute' due to any jet lag you may be feeling. Be sure to print a timetable from www.ratp.fr so you'll know which trains to take (going and coming) on the RER-C line (your stop in Versailles is "Versailles-Rive Gauche", sometimes abbrev. to Versailles-RG. Be sure you get on the correct side of the tracks in Versailles to come back to Paris.

PalQ Feb 1st, 2006 12:52 PM

I did the very thing you're talking about - trekked out to Versailles the day i landed after all night flight. Though wiped out it was OK - in your 20s it should be fine - the same as walking around Paris i think.

Marsha Feb 1st, 2006 01:00 PM

I like your idea. The RER trek to Versailles isn't too long and a tour of Versailles will keep you up and walking around. We also pick one activity for the day we arrive in Europe. In London, for example, we often go to the Tower of London on the first day.

ira Feb 1st, 2006 01:06 PM

Hi M,

Sounds good to me.

You are going to drop your luggage at your hotel before heading out to Versaille?

((I))

ChevyChasen Feb 1st, 2006 01:08 PM

you arrive at the airport 8am sunday morning.you need to be on the rer at 8am if you want to be walking inside the palace and not waiting in an interminable queue (see photo below...it really keeps going on and on). how about that for a way to spend your first day!

http://www.cotatel.fr/jepars/versail...eue_ticket.JPG

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 01:09 PM

Ira,
Yes, we would drop our luggage off first (haven't chosen a Paris hotel yet--I'll do a search for hotels soon). So that wouldn't get us to V. before the opening/rush
Beth

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 01:13 PM

Oh my god! I just saw your picture, ChevyChasen. What a nightmare. Maybe this isn't the best idea. Would it be like that at the beginning of April (the 9th to be exact)?

Dorothy01 Feb 1st, 2006 01:24 PM

Go for it! I've flown many times to Paris, rented a car at CDG, and then driven to the Loire Valley, and toured a chateau.

I am not in my twenties but still have lots of energy and also do not get jet lag.

abby97 Feb 1st, 2006 01:35 PM

Sounds like a good plan -- and I definitely think it is worth it to see the fountains.

janisj Feb 1st, 2006 01:47 PM

Perhaps some of those who are saying "go for it" don't realize how crowded Versailles can be on a Sunday. If you were already IN Paris and could be out to the palace very early it might be a go. But after an exhausting overnight flight, trip to hotel, checking in or dropping bags, and taking the train to Versailles you would be VERY lucky to get there before 11:00 or noon.

And if it is a nice day it will be even MORE crowded.

I'd most <b>definitely</b> do something else on your arrival Sunday . . . .

ChevyChasen Feb 1st, 2006 01:57 PM

refering to this map, 1 cm below the u in Chateau is the viewpoint in that photo.

millie.furman.edu/versailles/map.jpg

the queue i saw kept going to the gate at place d armes. i walked by those poor folks baking in the sun as i was leaving the palace after an taking the first guided tour of the day.

mind you i went in the summer, but i would expect similar company on any nice day.

if i had arrived without tickets to see that queue i think i would have turned around and went back to the hotel. apart from going early i had also got a carte musee which let me get in through a side entrance (which was not easy to find).

i found the queue to the eiffel's elevator was similar,but as it was expected to rain in the following days i decided to stick through it.

paris is the queue capital.

miel2384 Feb 1st, 2006 02:04 PM

Can we surpass the queue if we have the Paris museum pass?

Catbert Feb 1st, 2006 02:14 PM

Yes! Get a museum pass and skip the line. I've never seen the line that long in the 3 times I've been there.

ChevyChasen Feb 1st, 2006 02:28 PM

when i went there was a seperate entrace for carte musee holders, i went very early so i dont know if this develops into a &quot;queue for carte musee holders&quot; as the morning passes.i doubt that though, as the majority of visitors dont have any idea of what they are about to encounter and dont buy tickets beforehand.

i remember also queuing to see notre dame towers, to see the mona lisa, to go up the arc de triomphe....but these were smaller queues and i still enjoyed myself.