Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Versailles: how to get there and half-day?

Apr 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi all

Hubby and I are in Paris for 3 days mid-May. He's always talked about going to Versailles but I've told him we don't have enough time. The truth is I'd really like to surprise him by taking him there without him having to plan a thing.
The difficulty is I'm VERY directionally challenged and have no idea how to get there. We're staying at the Best Western Victor Hugo (which is in the 16th if I'm reading the map correctly). The hotel website says it's within walking distance to Victor Hugo line 2 (subway), a 15 minute walk to RER A and 25 minutes to the Gare du Nord train station. Will any of these get me to Versailles? And I'm hoping to go there on the afternoon of our 1st day in Paris--is this advised? We arrive in Paris on a Wednesday morning at 8am so I'm hoping to check into the hotel, nap for a couple hours and head out just after lunch. Thoughts?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

CoCoNat--the directionally challenged wife!
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi CN,

>I've told him we don't have enough time.

You don't, however:

>I'm hoping to check into the hotel, nap for a couple hours and head out just after lunch.

It's about 1 hr to Versailles. See www.ratp.fr.

Versailles closes at 18:30,
See http://www.chateauversailles.fr/

Apr 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM

I do think your stay is two short to afford a visit outside Paris proper. Versailles requires at the very least half a day.

Should you wish to go anyway, here is an easy alternative route I use, which could be worthwhile considering since you will be staying in the 16th arrondissement :

- take metro line 9 to its western terminal station PONT DE SEVRES (line 9 crosses the 16th arrondissement),

- exit the metro system and take bus 171 marked CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES at the Pont sèvres bus station which is right outside the metro station. The bus takes you to the Place d'armes, the big plaza in front of the chateau.
The bus ride from pont de Sèvres lasts about 30 minutes. Schedules are available on www.ratp.fr.

The interest of the bus ride is the arrival to Versailles down the majestic tree-line avenue leading to the station.
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Sorry

"the majestic tree-lineD avenue leading to the CHATEAU"
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira and Trudaine. Would you suggest going to Versailles on Thursday or Friday morning then instead? The reason I wanted to go on Wedensday was so I could take advantage of the museum pass, which I understand has to be used 2 days consecutively (we're only there for 3 days).
Any suggestions for what we can do on the Wednesday afternoon then? We're hoping to visit the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and/or Sacre Coeur...are we better off doing a couple of those in an afternoon then?

Thanks so much for all your help.

CoCoNat