Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   versailles fat bike tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/versailles-fat-bike-tour-555717/)

amc Aug 31st, 2005 07:08 PM

versailles fat bike tour

I've only three days in Paris. I'm considering a Fat Bike Tour to Versailles on my final day. The reason is because many of you have written that Versailles is a must see while there. Has anyone done the tour of Versailles? If so, please comment. Also, does anyone have a opinion of this being a good idea or not?
Thank you!

susanna Sep 1st, 2005 06:09 AM

I think that it is a good idea! We did a night tour of Paris with then and it was fun, I would consider doing the Versailles tour. They are very orgainzed, young, fun. I would think that it would take most of the day, so if your time is limited, you could visit Versailles in half a day on your own. By the lake out in the gardens there are bikes for rent by the hour which you could do on your own and see the grounds. We did this once and it was wonderful to ride all around the property and see all the other buildings, which I think would be too much walking to see all in one day. Also, when will you be there? I was there this last Feb and I wanted to take my SIL on the bike, being from SF where we can bike all year round...they looked at me like I was crazy, there are no bikes for rent at that time of the year!OK, so there was also a little snow on the ground too...

Iregeo Sep 1st, 2005 06:46 AM

Hi amc. Is this your first trip to Paris? If so, you may want to put off a day trip out of the city until your next trip, as Paris itself has so much to offer. With 3 days, you can barely scratch the surface.

Nina66 Sep 1st, 2005 07:46 AM

amc - I must be in a very good mood today, because I agree with all of above comments.

If you only have three days in Paris, spend them all there. There are so many things to do, see, and eat. Save Versailles for another trip - that will be your excuse for _having_ to return.

Consider doing what Susanna did, and take the Fat Bike night tour of Paris. You'll see more of the night lights than you'd cover on your own in such a short time.

We're doing the night Segway tour in two weeks. Paris at night is gorgeous and very special.

Susanna, I ride my bike here in San Francisco all the time when it snows. In fact, I ONLY ride it when it snows. ;-)

Nina

amc Sep 1st, 2005 04:49 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll be leaving next week. I've planned this trip in les than 2 weeks, frantically reading every post here for hotel and other recommendations. Yes, this is my first trip to Paris and I'll be going alone. I was concerned that I shouldn't make a trip to Versailles on my first trip to Paris with only three days.

Nina, I'm afraid you're right, I'll just "have" to plan another visit.
Again, Thanks!

amwosu Sep 2nd, 2005 01:33 PM

Looks like others have already helped you make up your mind but I'm jumping in to agree that you should skip Versailles this time.

I took a day trip of Paris with Fat Tire (after chasing the Tour de France around the country on my bike for two weeks it was kind of funny to be on a cruiser bike)and enjoyed the trip very much. I would do it on the first day as it gives you a good sense of the city.

wliwl Sep 2nd, 2005 03:21 PM

Yeah, I'd skip it too. Maybe you should do the bike tour or their Segway tour of Paris instead?