Goult or Cabrieres D'Avignon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally narrowed down the seemingly hundreds of thousands of homes available to rent this summer to two:
One is in Cabrieres d"Avignon and the other is in Goult.
Both are around the same price, both with a pool, 3 bdrms, walk to town, etc.
We have family staying in Cabrieres and Joucas which is why we would like something in this area. We have three kids ages 3,8 and 10.
I need help with location: which town would you prefer and why?
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 02:49 PM

IN one sense, all those podunk towns aren't really that different and are just a base, anyway. I did really like GOult, though, for what it was, anyway, which isn't that big. I was there on a day there was a local wedding, and it was just charming seeing their customs (they came in a donkey cart, although a fancy one). There are a couple places to eat in town center, Les Bartavelles is in the Michelin red guide and a good one.

some info if you don't know this website
http://www.beyond.fr/villages/goult.html

or
http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/vaucluse...i/cabriavi.htm

I don't remember anything about Cabrieres d'Avignon, not sure there is anything there to speak of, such as restaurants. There is a bakery, some antique store and a hairdresser according to their website, but no mention of any place to eat. I know the lavender museum is there. The question is why would you want to walk to this town?
http://www.cabrieres-davignon.fr/ind...te-et-artisans

I don't know, maybe someone else can name its attractions.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:44 PM

We've stayed in a gite just outside of the village of Cabrieres for 4 weeks over 2 trips. We've visited & dined in Goult many times, and have a gite reserved there for next year. Both are off the tourist path a bit - which is a plus. They are close to each other, so there really isn't a difference in location. I think there may be a little more "action" in Goult in terms of cafes & restaurants. There is a boulangerie, excellent mom-&-pop grocery, and a meat market in Cabrieres. Don't know about "same" in Goult because we've never had to purchase food there.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM

Personally, I'd take Goult over Cabrières without any hesitation. Goult is a true "perched village" with a stunning old medieval section, 2 excellent restaurants plus a few others that are not bad plus some nice cafés on an 'authentic' (hate that word) village square. Two famous dueling butchers, a baker, and no doubt a partridge in a pear tree.

Cabrières would be perfectly fine, too. But it's not perched and so doesn't have the views you get from the old part of Goult. Not as active, either and not as much commerce. You can, however, take a nice walk from the village to check out the infamous "Mur de la Peste", which is (or really was since most of it is in ruins) an impressive architectural feat which did little to keep the plague from getting to Avignon. Still, you've got to give them top points for effort !

- Kevin

p.s.: either spot will be fine location-wise.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I booked the house in Goult thanks to your input. The village itself seems to have a little more in terms of services and a more picturesque location. Merci!!
Here it is:
http://www.southfrancevillas.com/pro...020A/year/2013