Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Verona, Vincenza, Padua where would you spend one night?

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I have one night enroute from Bellagio to Venice. Which of these cities would be preferable to spend an afternoon and one night? ( Would be open to other suggestions as well.) I'll be traveling by train and thought it might be nice to wander around another city. I need to meet up with a walking tour in Venice by 2:00 the next day so ease of getting to and from the train station is a consideration.

Would also love a suggestion for a charming place to stay.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:00 PM

We did the reverse of your trip a few years ago (Venice to Bellagio) and absolutely loved our overnight (two nights , actually, in Padua.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM

My first choice would be Verona, second Vicenza and last, Padua. We stayed in Vicenza but not near the train station, and spent a day in each of the other cities.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM

We stayed a day and night in Padua and absolutely loved it. Just returned from my third trip to Italy but unfortunately was not able to squeeze in Padua this time. One of my favorite Italian town by far.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
LJ

Oh dear, this won't help...I was about to suggest Verona, too, based on our experience. Wonderful city centre. If you search on it here you will get more info.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Never having been in Vincenza, I can't compare, but it really does depend on what you want, and what you might want to avoid. If I wanted to see Palladio, or learn anything more about architecture, I would head right to Vicenza, even though many of his best works are outside the town center.

For Giotto and an extremely user-friendly, seldom touristed historic center, I like Padova. Authentic food as well, and an incredibly down-to-earth, unpretentious atmosphere.

For a wide variety of surprises, I would go to Verona -- a Roman arena, a much-beloved central piazza (more than one, actually), a lovely tucked away Duomo in an atmospheric neighborhood full of balconies and flowers, a knock-out castle -- one of the very best in Italy -- that has been intelligently converted to a very enjoyable museum. Lots of shopping. More tourists -- but they mainly hang around the inauthentic Romeo & Juliet tat, and crowd into the Piazza Bra. If you pay attention, you can find some fantastic restaurants (often restaurants for business people in this wealthy town) that have authentic food and the region's legendary wine. (Lots of wine bars.)

It matters when you go: Verona hosts an incredibly jam-packed opera season -- you either want to be there or you don't -- and several enormous trade fairs (literally the kitchen sink, at times). From Spring to early Fall, all the towns can be gaspingly muggy (like today!), in which case, I'd drop all three in favor of somewhere on Lago di Garda, the further north the better, but anyplace to catch a breeze and a boat ride (if you're traveling by train-only, try Peschiera del Garda or Desenzano or Sirminone, which offer boat rides for touristing other towns).
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Once again... Zeppole hits the nail on the head! We've been to all three. Unless you have a special interest... put the three names up on a board and throw a dart -
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All. Sounds like Verona might be the best alternative since we'll only have an afternoon and evening. We wouldn't be able to take advantage of the Palladian Villas on the outskirts.

Would love a suggeston for a hotel and restaurant.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM

I loved Vicenza for its beautiful Palladian architecture and quiet piazzas - the shopping was good - and I LOVED the Teatro Olimpico. It's a quiet little gem of a city. Padova is very interesting if you get into he Centro Storico. The Scrovegni Chapel is an absolute masterpiece of pre-Renaissance art and I always suggest that people go see it if they have any interest in Italian art at all and are in that area of Italy. The Basilica di San Antonio is stunning - and don't miss seeing the old anatomy observatory at the University of Padova - it's fantastic!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Yes Verona is a good choice. It is a small town but you can spend a fabulous time there. You will have also a great choice of restaurants and trattorie. I received superb info from the owner of Residenza san faustino, the bed and breakfast where I spent my 3 nights before moving to Bolzano. If you look for a relax place, why not try this very well equipped b&b and with a convenient location. It is right in the centre of the old town and let you easily reach many monuments, modern art galleries, theatres and the most important shops of the city on foot.