Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Verona or Parma? Lake Como day trips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/verona-or-parma-lake-como-day-trips-821178/)

heidijean Jan 11th, 2010 09:20 AM

Verona or Parma? Lake Como day trips?

My husband and I are going to Northern Italy in October for 8 days. The couple we're going with have never been to Venice and want to spend a few nights there. We've already been to Venice and want to explore the area west and south of it for those few nights. I'm debating between staying at the B&B Cancabaia, which is 20" outside of Parma, or staying in Verona and using that as a base for day trips. Is driving in Verona like driving in Florence (something I'll never do again)? My husband and I like food, art, architecture and scenery.

I'd love to hear your two cents on my first draft itinerary. What are some must-do day trips around the Lake Como area?

Fri: Arrive in Venice late morning; take train to Verona
Sat: Verona
Sun: Verona
Mon: Verona
Tues: Meet up with friends and drive to Lake Como (Varenna or Bellaggio)
Wed: Lake Como
Thurs: Lake Como (day trip to Milan for duomo & Last Supper)
Fri: Lake Como
Saturday: Day trip to Lake Maggiore & end at hotel near Malpensa Airport
Sunday: Early morning flight home

Big_Red Jan 18th, 2010 12:30 PM

For architecture, have you considered Vicenza?
Parma is famous for food, but we decided on Bologna over Parma. Bologna is better located for Ravenna etc.

When we were in Vicenza, we did Marostica and Bassano del Grappa (two towns), then Piembo Dese for Palladios Villa Carnaro. All in one day with a rental car. Actually Villa Cornaro was not open so we went on to Palldios' Villa Emo which was open.

stepsbeyond Jan 18th, 2010 12:54 PM

Even though I wouldn't hesitate to drive into Verona (I only do it in Firenze with my jaw clenched), I think that if you have a car and plan to do a lot of day tripping with it, you might prefer a smaller town or agriturismo.

Verona as a lot to offer as a base. It's a greatly sociable place, with fine piazzas, stunning architecture from a huge variety of epochs and while I don't like the food, the wine is great.

You are really spoilt for choice in that region when it comes to towns to base in or to explore, or if you want, a countryside base. If you think you will want to come home to a lively social scene, stay in Verona. Otherwise, there are some great food destinations at agriturismi and small town stays throughout the region, with beautiful scenery and tranquility at night -- and no traffic!

(Another possibility: There are a great many delicious places reachable by train from Verona, if you really don't want a car. You could meet up with your friends on Lago di Como via train. Spend your last night in Milan to take in the Last Supper, eat brilliantly, and head out to the airport in the morning. Four of you could split the cost of a taxi with the money you save on car rental.)

heidijean Feb 8th, 2010 02:53 PM

Thanks for all this valuable advice. I have one last question: am I crazy for going to the Lake Region the third week of October? Will most hotels be closed? How cold does it get?

tedgale Feb 14th, 2010 02:57 PM

Not quite on topic ...but we went for a day to Lago di Garda in mid-March 2009. We chose, I should add, a clear day. Temperatures were in the mid-teens.

It remains one of most intense and pleasurable memories of that whole trip. Magical. The fact it was off season and most places were closed was a plus: Empty roads, felt like we owned the whole place....

BTW: We are returning to Italy in 3 weeks. We have nearly a week to fill in after leaving Florence on Tuesday March 16 and before flying home from Milano Linate on Monday March 22.

I thought of Parma as a possible destination, also Lucca. I will check out your Parma B+B.

Last March, we visited Bergamo and were most impressed by the "citta' alta", FWIW.

I too greatly admired the Villa Emo but the rest of the Brenta area and the Veneto N of Venice is a ruined landscape, IMO. Horrible, what has been done to it. I don't imagine I will ever return.

harvardgal Feb 14th, 2010 03:19 PM

My husband and I went to Varenna on Lake Como at the end of October and it was breathtakingly beautiful. Just make sure you have a few layers to dress in as it can get chilly.

We plan to go to Bologna in May for 5 days. We chose it because of the excellent train connections for day trips - and also all of the excellent restaurants! The possibilities for day trips are endless - Parma, Modena, Verona, Ravenna, Padova, Florence. We have an apartment -with AC - right in the center of the medieval city for about 150 euros/day.

Sally30 Feb 14th, 2010 05:02 PM

Harvardgal (are you a cambridge neighbor?) and Bigred, you will love Bologna. A wonderful city with lots to do and not touristy at all. just bring loose clothing as you will need it!

Big_Red Feb 15th, 2010 08:56 AM

We did Bologna in July 2009. Great destination. Spent time just walking and stumbled onto some great stuff, especially over by the university. Stayed cheaply (the Guernica, about ten blocks outside of the historic district, thumbs up).

Trained to Ravenna and the Ferrari Gallery (Modena). I will get to posting those pictures sometime.

HappyTrvlr Feb 15th, 2010 08:58 AM

When we visited Verona we parked in a large garage on the city's perimeter without any problems.