Verona and day trips to Switzerland and France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit Verona next summer and would appreciate any ideas on possible day trips (distance and method of transportation to get there) to Switzerland and France. I'm not even sure if its feasible or if they are close enough for a day trip from Verona but thought I would ask.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM

Too far---do you have a map?
See Lake Garda and the Dolomites instead.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM

As said, much too far. I was going to say a day trip to Austria (Innsbruck) by train would just be feasible, but looking at the Trenitalia site even that is not really possible. It's 3 1/2 hours each way so you wouldn't get much time in Innsbruck.
As it's summer do as bob says and look for somewhere cool.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 06:21 AM

To give you an idea, we took day trips by train to Vicenza, Trento, and Mantua from Verona. Padua would also be a possibility. Dolomites would be a good choice also.

Northern Italy is one of the most interesting parts of the world and there is plenty to see there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM

If you're up for a long (LONG!) day's driving, get a car the day before, rise early and hit the road for this marvel of a route:

Verona, (Vestone - Edolo) Tirano - about 3 1/2 hours.

Now you enter Switzerland, here comes the fabulous stretch through the Puschlav/Poschiavo/San Bernardino portion ending in St. Moritz or Silvaplana or lovely Sils/Maria for lunch.

Then over the Maloja Pass back into Italy and down towards Lake Como, along the lake via Lecco to the Bergamo bypass and back to Verona.

Another great daytrip into Switzerland: Get a car and drive to Locarno on the Lago Maggiore (via Milan and Chiasso or Giubiasco), then go up to the Cimetta lookout, first from Locarno by funicular to Orselina, from Orselina by cable-car to Cardada, from Cardada by chairlift to Cimetta! See http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/cime...ast-stage.html

If you have time, wander around Locarno, take a boat trip, or go check out the fortifications of nearby Bellinzona.

You can do it by train, but since it has to go via Milan it takes a lot of time. The 07:32 train from Verona Porta Nuova (via quick changes in Milano Centrale and in Bellinzona) gets you to Locarno by 11:13.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And you want to go where in Switzerland and why? For the scenery? Same question re France. I am not saying you shouldn't but in SOME cases it might be a long way to go to see something you might easily see closer.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM

By car you can do the Verona - Bolzano - Mustair (Switzerland) - Pass d'Umbrail (Switzerland) - Stelvio Pass - Bormio - Edolo - Brescia - Verona round trip, but what's good for?
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. The reason I'd like to see a little more than Italy is because we have been there before and returning due to my husband's love of opera and the chance to see it performed in Verona.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM

After 17 trips to Italy I still have not seen it all.
Enjoy the opera, which often lasts past midnight.
Read about Val Gardena, Parma, Trentino and enjoy Italy.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM

Also look into Madua, Bologna, Modena.

We are currently in the Dolomites, a couple hours north of Verona. If you click on my name you will find our trip report and photos.