Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice's Al Covo to the rescue -or- Great meds available OTC in Italy

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:26 PM
frontsight9mm

1.5 weeks ago, my sister (mia sorella, I call her now and I were in Venice. On the advice of this board, ate at Al Covo. (in brief: the food and service were great!)

Sorella has become very allergic to seafood, and I didn't realize that Al Covo was primarily a seafood restaurant. However, the waiter said he had a perfect non-seafood disk (calf cheeks in a red wine sauce.) She liked them. I tried them and thought they were great.

Anyway: 10 minutes later, her pulse starts going up, and she starts to get very hot. She's definitely going into allergic reaction. She immediately takes 2 Benadryl.

We told Al Covo about this, and the owner / manager brings her these 2 little pills and tells her to put them under her tongue. They were sublingual Bentalan (a steroid).

They worked great! She said it no longer felt like someone was sitting on her throat. Eventually her pulse returned to normal.

She did have an Epinet (?) (a portable injectable thing of epinephrine with her) but I really didn't want to go that route unless we were in the presence of a doctor.

The next day we went to a Pharmacia and she bought 1 box of Bentalan and I bought another (they didn't want to sell 2 to 1 person.)

Kudos to Al Covo for being so prepared. They also said they had an Epinet thing but they "hope to not use it."

What other good meds can you get in Italy that you would need a script for here?

I'll post a different topic about this sometime, but the don't-miss restaurant in Venice, in my opinion = Da Ivo, near San Marco.

Dec 30th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Curious

Frontsight, did you ever figure out why sorella had an allergic reaction to a non-seafood item? I ask this because I'm allergic to shellfish and may be able to learn something from her experience. I have to be very careful when ordering in restaurants.

Dec 30th, 2001, 09:18 PM
FrontSight

No. Al Covo insisted there was no seafood in her food.

My theory is:

1) There could have been anchovies in the sauce (though we asked in advance about that too)

2) Utensils that had seafood on them were uses to prep her dish.

Dec 31st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Sally

I am allergic to shellfish, and when my allergy was at it worst, I could react from sitting next to someone who was eating shrimp, or to visiting in a house where someone was boiling shrimp. After a few years I have become much less sensitive, but I'm not going to try eating any shrimp yet. Your sister will probably have to become much more cautious about being around seafood for a while until she is not so sensitive to seafood.

Dec 31st, 2001, 07:47 AM
Curious

Sally, just reading this thread makes my mouth and eyes itch!

Thanks, frontsight, I was wondering if her beef had been cross contaminated by the utensils. Scary!