Venice water taxis

Nov 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Venice water taxis

We will be in Venice in April 2007 for our 3rd trip there. We have done a tour of Murano and now want to visit the other Islands. All the tours spend very little time in each place. Can anyone give me an idea of how expensive it would be to visit the islands by water taxi? There will be three of us. Cheers Pawsha
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Pawsha

I don't know how expensive a private taxi would be (seems like it would be quite a lot) and I've seen some for rent or hire on the Internet. I think I just googled it.

But I want to say that you can do this with public boat transport. Venice to Burano to Torcello is pretty easy to figure out.
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reply but we dont want to use the Vaporetta for the island trip. It takes forever. Cheers Pawsha
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Pawsha-

Private water taxis licensed by the City of Venice have a yellow band in their window. You can pick one up at the airport dock, in front of San Marco, Rialto, Piazzale Roma, and other locations.

You can also book them through one of their websites, such as Venice Guide and Boat-www.veniceguideandboat.it
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:55 PM

To give you an idea - a watertaxi to Marco Polo airport costs about 100 Euros. Per ride, not per person. Now figure that distance compared to getting to one of the islands - then to the next, and back - you'll spend a fortune. Why not the vaporetto - you're on vacation, what's the rush?
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM

If they charge €100 (or a little less) for the 30 minute ride from airport to Venice, they might as well charge very roughtly around €500 for a half day charter including stop at Murano, Burano, etc. And if you want to stay long on each island, it might be more than that for a full day charter. pawsha, are you ready to pay that amount?
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Besides, if you're that much in a hurry that the leisurely pace of the vaporetto doesn't suit you, why do you go to the islands? You can't just set foot on the pier and turn around - you have to take your time ambling about and seeing a bit, so a mad rush is not indicated, not on the way there, nor while you're there.
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM

You can't do several islands in a morning or afternoon and see anything. Which would mean you're essentailly hiring the taxi for the whole day. In that time they could do several round trips to the airport (at 200 euros each) - so even with some sort of volume discount I would imagine you're talking 700 or 800 euros. It just doesn't make sense.

Either take a vaporetto or take a water taxi to one island and get phone numbers for taxi companies. When you're done at one island then you could call for a taxi to another. But I imagine it would still be a couple of hundred euros.
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM

If you catch the vaporetto at Fondamenta Nove, it's only a 10 minute ride to Murano. And from there, not far to Burano.
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Dont intend racing around islands once we get there. Thought we could save travel time by using water taxi. Costs seem way too expensive. Our hotel gave us a free ride to Murano last time but we were pressured into spending up big. We might take taxi to one island and vaporetta the others. Cheers Pawsha
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM

You can negotiate with the taxi "drivers". It may or may not work, but a group of friends managed to get a very inexpensive (sorry I can't remember the cost) ride back from Torcello. The taxi had brought someone out and would have had to go back empty; he was pleased to make a fare of any kind.

I've also negotiated fares with water taxi drivers in town...not always successfully, but occasionally so.
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I went to venice with contiki and they got some good deals for gondola rides along with the water taxi, check with contiki for a good tour of venice