Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice Water Taxi - P. Roma (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-water-taxi-p-roma-732791/)

dperry Aug 29th, 2007 03:51 PM

Venice Water Taxi - P. Roma

Upon arrival in Venice, we have to pick up our apt. keys near the p. roma. Originally, I thought I"d jump on a vaporetto afterwards. It will be our friend's first time in Venice, so I think I'd prefer a private taxi to take us to our apt., just off the S.Silvestro stop
Will I be able to get a water taxi easily, or should I make advance reservations? If I should make a reservation in advance (not my preference), can anyone suggest a company to use?

nytraveler Aug 29th, 2007 04:19 PM

No reason to organize in advance - there are always taxis there. But - they don;t have regular "stops" - like the vaporettos - they can put you down anywhere that has a little set of steps. Be sure to ask your hotel for the closest dock - it may be different.

dperry Aug 29th, 2007 05:21 PM

we rented an apt., doesn't have a dock.
can taxi drop us off at s silvesto stop?

tuscanlifeedit Aug 29th, 2007 05:51 PM

Yes, they can drop you off any place you ask. But there may be an even closer spot the vaporetto stop. Ask the agency.

Are you working with veniceapartments.org? Did I already ask you that? I'm asking again because I have NO memory. I'm also asking because we are to pick up our keys near Piazzale Roma, too.

Girlspytravel Aug 29th, 2007 09:57 PM

DPerry-why would you want to spend all that money to take a private water taxi from Pze. Roma to S. Silvestro vaporetto stop-when you can buy a Venice Card Blue Pass (if staying a week, it's a GREAT deal, you do save a LOT of money that way) there at Pze. Roma, and then just take the vaporetto down to S. Silvestro stop? That's really the best way. See if you can have your apt. people meet you there at the SS vaporetto stop with the keys, that way they can show you where your apt. is located.

dperry Aug 30th, 2007 07:32 AM

tuscanlifeedit - yes, we have booked through veniceapartments.org, we booked the Gritti apartment. can't wait!
girlspytravel- since it's my friends first time to venice i thought it would be fun to splurge on a private water taxi to our apt. we'll be in venice for 4 days before boarding a cruise, is it worth it to buy the Venice Card Blue pass?

Girlspytravel Aug 30th, 2007 08:29 AM

DPerry-first of all, I took a look at your apartment, it's LOVELY-and ideally located! SS vaporetto stop is to the left of the apt. but directly across the Canal from you is Ca' Farzetti-the white palazzo, Venice City Hall, where the mayor and city officials are located. And, your apartment is next to the Grand Canal palazzo that is going to be the city's newest 5 star hotel -Palazzo Papadopoli.

You are but a minute's walk on your San Polo side to the Rialto fruit, fish and vegetable market. If you do plan on doing any shopping, this is where you'd want to go to get some of your foodstuffs. Now, even better, the city's best and most authentic "bacari" are just by your apt. as well, such as the ancient and atmospheric "Cantina do Mori" (a must-visit), "Al Marca" "Bancogiro" and "Do Spade" -ALL of these great enoteche are RIGHT THERE within a minute's walk. You can shop for some fruit and veggies, and then, go in and have some tasty cichetti-but at any rate, you should be there in your apt. area for the "aperitivo" hour-and order "lo spritz" (with Aperol-the orange bitter, NOT Campari, the red-Campari is made from insects, or try Cynar-a bitter made from artichokes-I tried it this last March, and it isn't bad!) and do as all the locals do in Campo San Giacometto from 5pm on- have your aperitivo, eat your cichetti, gossip and check out the scene.

I would also urge you to go to TRATTORIA ALLA MADONNA-one of the city's best trattoria for lunch-this IS a place that Venetians go, because it's got the freshest most excellent seafood, (right by the Rialto fish market) lots of rooms, very busy, very local, and is open at night for dinner until 10pm. Located on Calle della Madonna-just behind where your palazzo/apt. is located.

As to the Venice Blue Card-for 4 nights, I think your better value is to buy a 72 hour pass, and see if you can stretch that out to a 4th day. When you buy the pass, you validate it the first time you use it, so, if you used it for the first time the day after you get there, then you can use it for the vaporetto to take you to the cruise ship on the last day, rather than taking a water taxi. Besides, you are SO centrally located, you may find that you won't need to use the vaporettos as much as other folks who are not so centrally located, however, I would still get the 72 hour pass anyway, if you want to go out to the islands, and of course, to San Giorgio Maggiore, you'll want to have it then.

You're going to have a lovely time, without a doubt!

dperry Aug 30th, 2007 08:51 AM

girlspytravel- thanks for your response! i'm glad you 'approve' of the apt., i chose it based on some of your previous posts regarding ideal locations and must-see bacari! We love to drink, snack and people watch so this is the perfect environment for us. We plan to purchase some breakfast food items for the apt., I see myself sipping coffee in the morning looking out over the grand canal........
Yes, I had planned to purchase the 72 hour vaporetto pass, that seems like the best choice for us.
Looking forward to trying Aperol, (you suggested this to me a few months back). Tried to find it here in the US (I live in Ft Lauderdale), but couldn't.
thanks again for everything, you have been sooo helpful!