Venice Water Taxi Cost? Rental Car?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Kay

Venice Water Taxi Cost? Rental Car?

Hi, I am arriving at Marco Polo and the Luna wants $127 for a private water taxi to the hotel. I have seen some comments about fodorites getting one for around $50, or was that too dated.

I have rented cars in Europe many times, but this time I am faced with a $560 drop off charge to drive a car from Lake Como to Barcelona. Any suggestions? I am spending 6 days in Provence on the way.

Thanks, I leave in four weeks!!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Rex

Haven't been to Venice since May 2001, but it sounds way too high to me. Arrange it on the spot. And beware of being hounded for tips and extras. You can always just say no.

And drop charges across country lines are a problem. Are you aware that you fly Venice-BCN for only $99? www.europebyair.com

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Rex

Oh, whoops - - didn't read everything you said. Best suggestion is train to Nice, rent car for time in France, train from Perpignan to Barcelona.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Wayne

I agree with the others--the charge for a "private" water taxi is too high and isn't necessary. When you arrive at the Venice airport, you get your luggage, go out the front of the terminal, and turn left to walk to the water taxi station. You should be able to get a water taxi from the airport to your hotel for about $85, depending on the driver, the amount of luggage, and a couple of other rather indeterminate factors. That's still a lot, but it's way less than you were quoted by the hotel. It's OK to try to negotiate the water taxi rate down a bit, but generally they won't cut their prices much at the airport because they know you don't have a choice if you are going by water.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Andrew

Alternatively you can take the Alilaguna ferry to San Marco for 9.80 EURO.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:46 AM
toppers

to the top

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Kay

Thanks everyone!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:05 PM
xxx

Doesn't europe by air still require a minimum of three segments, making the tickets a minimum of $297 each?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Rex

No, it does not.