Venice Water boats

Sep 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Venice Water boats

Can anyone tell me from around Accademia Bridge to San Marco Square is it possible to walk or do we have to take boat. I am finding this whole water transportation very hard to figure out for my first trip to Venice. Any help appreciated.
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Hi Merlot. Yes, you can easily walk from the Accademia Bridge to San Marco, assuming you do not have any mobility problems.

I found it much easier to figure out the vaporetto (water bus) system with my good Venice map, which has all the routes & numbers marked - Freytag & Brendt, bought at Barnes & Nobles for about $9.

Also, your hotel staff will advise you & make it much easier.

We are in our 60's & we walked everywhere around Venice. It is not really that big a city. Besides, seeing the town while strolling is the fun part. If you don't want to waste valuable time getting lost, use the map I mentioned. We never got lost with it. The free map you get at the hotel is not that great.

If you are in Venice long enough, you may want to take a vaporetto to Murano to see the glass blowing factories & the beautiful glass objects. Also on that trip you can get off at Burano for a great photo op of the quaint brightly colored buildings & to see the lace making by hand & get some beautiful lace products. Your hotel staff can direct you & make it easy.

Have fun, Julie
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Thanks Julie.
What would be the fastest way to get from around Accademia Bridge to the Train station.
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM

You only have two choices:
-walk (not recommended with luggage)
-vaporetto
From Accademia - you can take #82, about every 10 minutes
From Ca'Rezzonica - you can take #1, also about every 10 minutes.
Just make sure when you're standing on the 'dock' facing the water, that the boat is traveling toward your left
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi M,

>I am finding this whole water transportation very hard to figure out ..

It's just a bus route.

See http://www.actv.it/ for routes and schedules.

See www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com for maps of Venice and walking routes.

Sep 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM

If you are without luggage, from Accademia bridge the walk is about 10-15 minutes depending on your pace. There are signs that guide you the whole way, though it is pretty much a straight shot with just a few slight bends.
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

just walk over the bridge and just walk straight ahead....and voila..
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Also, carrying a map, the entire thing is much easier when you are right there. When it is in front of your face, it makes sense. And all the stops are marked with the name of the upcoming stops, so you'll know which direction you are headed.

I think it is just the idea of something so unique that is hard to grasp. I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems when you need to use a vaporetto.
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM

lyban, figuring how to get from Venice to the train station is easy - just make sure your hotel staff gives you the info you need in order to clearly understand. If you want to plan in advance, I would do 2 things: (1)email your hotel for directions. (2)find your hotel on a map (that includes the vaporetto routes & #'s); find the closest stop; note which #'s stop there & probably #82 does, which as already advised as the best one to take. At the other end, you will see where it stops at the train station.

Here's the routine for vaporetto/water bus -
1. Each stop is named & that name is in large letters at each dock (where the water buses stop). So, just keep a lookout. Plus we followed where we stopped with our map, so we knew which stop we were approaching.

2. On the side of each water bus is the # of the bus. However....before we became comfortable with water bus travel, before boarding, we always ask the guy who opens the gate (going to ?), just to be sure - fool proof way!

3. Which ever way the front of the water bus is pointing, that is the direction you are going. Checking your map can guide you, plus, just ask.

4. At some stops there are 2 or more docks. When we were not sure which one to take, we asked - usually at the ticket booth, because the multi dock stops usually had a ticket booth.

5. I'm sure you have seen the pattern here! It's like land buses. When in a new city & not familiar - ask! Works every time. Plus, don't be afraid of taking the wrong one & going the wrong way! Just hop off & get the next one going the right way.

Sorry, but I didn't realize you were hauling luggage. That does make a difference as others pointed out. Those numerous bridges can be torture with luggage!

Have you figured out how to get to your hotel from the train station or the airport?

Julie
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Bookmarking
Sep 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Julie,
Thanks for all that info. Yes, I do know that I will be taking the Alilaguina from the airport to the Zattere stop (red Line). Then when I leave I will be taking the train to Florence. I think I am getting a better idea now of the transportation.
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM

From the bridge to San Marco is a fairly short and easy walk.

From the bridge to the train station, you'd likely take the vaporetto (bus boat).
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Great, lyban! Glad to hear you are getting more comfortable with the water transportation. I hope you do utilize your hotel staff for lots of help also.

Have a great trip - hope you like Venice as much as we do! Julie