Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice, Tuscany, Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-tuscany-florence-884492/)

vanne49 Mar 30th, 2011 03:03 PM

Venice, Tuscany, Florence

Traveling to Italy next month and have a few questions for you experts. Plan to arrive in Venice and stay for three nights before heading to Tuscany. Will be renting a car with AutoEurope, where would be the best place to pick up on the way out of Venice? Last year we stayed at Villa Vignamaggio and loved it. Interested if anyone has suggestions regarding another place to stay that might be in a different location, but equally as nice. Plan to stay in Tuscany for five nights then on to Florence for four nights.

bobthenavigator Mar 30th, 2011 03:22 PM

Get your car at Piazzale Roma from Autoeurope.com

Look at La Saracina near Montepulciano
Or, Locanda Amorosa

kismetchimera Mar 30th, 2011 06:30 PM

Florence is In Tuscany..

vanne49 Apr 3rd, 2011 02:09 PM

Booked the car with AutoEurope for pick up as recommended. Booked the Hermitage Hotel in Florence.
Debating on three agriturismo in Tuscay, Fattoria Poggerino, Le Caggiole, and Relais LaTorre. We eliminated Il Poggiolo. Any thoughts or recommendations? Many thanks

DRM51 Apr 3rd, 2011 03:33 PM

We spent a week in an apartment right in the middle of San Giamagnio - a wonderful walled town with about 13 ancient brick towers. Cars are not allowed in town except when dropping off or picking up your luggage. Great restaurants abound and there is a supermarket just outside the wall. Central to everything in Tuscany. Highly recommended.

bobthenavigator Apr 3rd, 2011 05:14 PM

It all depends on your desired location---that is crucial.

vanne49 Apr 4th, 2011 07:27 PM

Bob
I wish that I could really tell you the area in which we want to stay, maybe I can get guidance from you. We will be leaving Venice and heading to Tuscany. Last year we stayed in the Greve area. We are thinking of visiting different areas on day trips to include: Montepulciano,Siena, maybe San Gimignano. My husband would like to have dinner at Lamole again. I don't want to live in the car. We will be in the hills for five nights before we head to Florence. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that you have a much better idea of distance and time from one area to another. Thanks

Lexma90 Apr 4th, 2011 08:12 PM

If the Fattoria Poggerino that you're considering is the one in Radda in Chianti, vs. Le Caggiole in Montepulciano or Relais LaTorre in Arezzo (?), then the place in Montepulciano will be MUCH more convenient for the places you mentioned, Montepulciano, Siena, San Gimignano. Also Pienza, Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia. You'll find the scenery quite different than that in the Chianti area; some of us find it even more beautiful.

vanne49 Apr 5th, 2011 06:05 AM

Thank you for your reply. How many hours do you think it is from Venice to the Montepulciano area? I have mapped it and can judge the mileage, but I have learned from experience that travel in Europe can be a little more challenging.

macanimals Apr 5th, 2011 06:56 AM

We're planning on the same drive in October--Venice to Montepulciano. The website www.viamichelin.com allows you to plug in start and finish points to get distance and time of travel. It suggests 4 hr 21 min as the driving time on a route via Ferrara and Bologna. A majority of the transit is on autostrada--A1. I've driven these roads before and don't expect any "challenges" save traffic. I think 4 hrs is a good estimate without stops.

bobthenavigator Apr 5th, 2011 07:21 AM

I agree with Lexma---location always wins.
We have chosen Montepulciano as our location for a week in May. If you are set on Chianti then look at Fattoria Tregole.

vanne49 Apr 5th, 2011 08:22 AM

I am not set on Chianti, maybe I need to move on down the road. Last visit we did go south of Siena for a day trip and it was beautiful. Is Le Caggiole a good choice or does anyone have a better recommendation? Thanks for all your help!

Mimar Apr 5th, 2011 09:13 AM

I love the scenery of southern Tuscany. It's what they show on the travel posters.

As a base in southern Tuscany, I like the towns of Pienza or San Quirico d'Orcia. Both are on the flat so easy to drive in and out of. And both have a selection of restaurants so, after a long day of sightseeing, you can walk to dinner and have wine. (Strict drunk driving laws in Italy.)

maitaitom Apr 5th, 2011 09:21 AM

Chianti area or southern Tuscany? To me, it's like choosing between Zabaione and Panna Cotta for dessert. It's a tough decision, but in the end I will be happy no matter which I decide upon.

((H))

bobthenavigator Apr 5th, 2011 01:37 PM

Add Fonte Bertusi & Terre di Nano to your list.

vanne49 Apr 5th, 2011 06:48 PM

Thank you all! Keep any thoughts and suggestions coming, I appreciate your guidance.