Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice- Treviso Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-treviso-airport-698123/)

jt7dreamz Apr 18th, 2007 03:36 PM

Venice- Treviso Airport

I am staying in Lido but flying out of the Treviso airport... how do I accomplish this? I am flying skyeurope! 100 Euros for a flight for 2 to Vienna- Very excited about this vs. a 7 hr train ride which sharply cuts into our vacation time.

Girlspytravel Apr 18th, 2007 03:49 PM

Very easily. You take the vaporetto from Lido (#1, 51, 52) to Piazzale Roma, and then take the ATVO bus from Pze. Roma to Treviso, the bus trip being about an hour. Check the bus schedules from Pze. Roma to Treviso at

www.atvo.it

nytraveler Apr 18th, 2007 03:52 PM

Well - I'm not sure how much time you're actually saving when you add it all together. The bus from Piazzele roma to Treviso takes about an hour and 15 minutes - and you would need to allow time to get there from the Lido (I would ask your hotel how long it will take at the time you'll be traveling). Also - they can tell you how often the bus leaves around the time needed for your flight.

Also be aware that the budget airlines often have very long lines and require that you check in (NOT get to the airport but actually check in) at least an hour in advance. You'll need to check this for your specific flight.

Personally, I think the train would probably be more pleasant/comfortable and not take much longer.

Girlspytravel Apr 18th, 2007 03:55 PM

You could do either bus or train-however, it's sometimes easier just to get off the vaporetto (it takes a half hour from the Lido to get to Pze. Roma, btw), and just get on a bus to Treviso-just check the bus schedules on the website to see when you want to leave, and then you can plan your vaporetto travel accordingly.

jt7dreamz Apr 18th, 2007 04:26 PM

thanks for the website. the train takes over 7 hrs... 7/15 to be exact i believe. it might only save 2 hrs to take the flight BUT i wont have to sit in a smelly seat. ANd it's just as expensive- I'll fly over a train any day...

Girlspytravel Apr 18th, 2007 04:32 PM

Any day. Why these people want to take overnight trains or long trains to places like Paris from Venice, or from Rome, in an uncomfortable train is beyond my comprehension. It takes 15-20 minutes to get to Venice Airport, get on an hour and 10 minute flight to Orly, and then get in a cab and be in central Paris in 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic conditions and time of day. Can't conceive of any other way.

tamiandtoto Apr 18th, 2007 04:53 PM

We took the train to Treviso which maybe took a total of 30 min., then took a taxi from the train station to the airport. I think we waited in line for about another 30 min.. I agree--7 hours on a train vs. what a 2 hour plane ride--I would rather slit my wrists!!!

LoveItaly Apr 18th, 2007 05:19 PM

Taking the train from the Santa Lucia train station (in Venice proper) and getting off at the Treviso train station and taking a taxi to the Treviso Airport is a good thought jt. That is what I would do.

Jim_Tardio Apr 18th, 2007 06:15 PM

It seems to me that taking the bus is simpler than taking the train and then finding a cab. The bus takes you right to the airport.

It's probably the same amount of time either way...why handle your luggage twice?

Girlspytravel Apr 18th, 2007 06:18 PM

It's much easier to take the bus-you just roll your luggage off at Pze. Roma, and then roll it about a 100 yards to the Treviso airport bus, and that's it. Much easier.