Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice Transportation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-transportation-701426/)

homer_house Apr 30th, 2007 07:09 PM

Venice Transportation

I am traveling to Venice for the first time next month. Would someone please advise me what would be the easiest way for me to get from the Venice airport to the Westin Europa and Regina (it's near Piazza San Marco)? Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian and I will have a couple of suitcases with me.
Thanks for your help.

Girlspytravel Apr 30th, 2007 07:53 PM

The easiest and cheapest way is to walk your bags down to the dock (about a 5-6 minute covered walk, for the most part) buy a ticket on the Alilaguna ferry boat, and get off at San Marco, E and R is about a two minute walk right on the waterfront. The cost of the Alilaguna Gold shuttle is 25 Euro, and goes direct.

If you want, you can hire a private water taxi to take you direct to the hotel-but that'll cost you-around 100 Euro. Your choice.

Personally, I'd take the Alilaguna to San Marco-your hotel is just so close to the dock, and so easy to find, there'd be no point in spending more, in my book, but that's your choice.

homer_house May 1st, 2007 06:38 AM

Thanks for the response. I heard that there is a luggage restriction on the Alilaguna (ie you can only bring on 1 suitcase), do you know if that is true? I will have 3 bags - so that's my hesitation. Thanks.

HappyTrvlr May 1st, 2007 09:36 AM

No one checked our amount of luggage when we got on the Aliguna. The only problem may be once you arrive at San Marco. You may have to cross bridges with stairs and up and down to get to the hotel. Ask the hotel how many bridges you will have to cross with your luggage.

nytraveler May 1st, 2007 09:54 AM

I would not attempt the Alliguna with 3 bags for 1 person - just too much hassle getting them on and off and keepig track of them. But then all that luggge is going to be a problem traveling anywhere in europe. Are you going on a cruise - or living there for a while - otherwise I would just take much less luggage.

If you really must have all that luggage I would take a water taxi - which will bring you right up to the hotel's dock - so no dragging all that luggage through the streets from San Marco.

margarettravels Sep 11th, 2007 06:34 AM

Does private taxi need to be prearranged prior to arriving at San Marco? If not, is it difficult to find a private taxi upon arrival. This is my first time to Venice and I am traveling with someone who will not be able to handle their own luggage

Weekender Sep 11th, 2007 06:42 AM

I used this service a year ago and was pleased:
http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi/taxi/watertaxi.htm

suze Sep 11th, 2007 07:18 AM

With 3 suitcases, I would not attempt public transportation.

Bailey Sep 11th, 2007 08:06 AM

I've never had problems bringing two bags on board the Alilaguna. Unless the 'rules' have changed in the last two months.

Weekender Sep 11th, 2007 08:35 AM

The Westin Europa and Regina is on the Grand Canal and has it's own dock-perfect for a water taxi arrival! It is really an experience that should not be missed.

annhig Sep 11th, 2007 08:41 AM

hi, homer,

what time are you arriving? - if at night, the water taxi might again be a better choice. your hotel may be able to arrange one at a good rate too.

regards, ann

Girlspytravel Sep 11th, 2007 09:04 AM

Ann-I think Homer has gone and come back.

Reisender Sep 11th, 2007 11:18 AM

Did Homer ever give us a trip report?

Cindywho Sep 13th, 2007 03:09 AM

Is the Alilaguna Gold shuttle the same as the vaporetti?(sp?) We were planning to take the vaporetti and buy the 3 day ticket when we go.

We will also be getting off at the San Marco stop. I'm not worried about the luggage.

caroline_edinburgh Sep 13th, 2007 04:39 AM

Yes, I wondered what Alilaguna Gold is. The normal Alilaguna is €12.

annhig Sep 13th, 2007 08:34 AM

hi, girlspy -

yep, these OPs are always catching me out! - I keep forgetting to read the date [which of course for me is the wrong way round!].

wouldn't it be nice to get some feed back?!

regards, ann