London 5 days in early August - Hotel Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'd like some advice on Hotel locations or B&B for a family trip to London in early August. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies. It is appreciated! Here are some things we would be interested in, if it will help.

1. A moderate or higher hotel. We would prefer moderate, but are keeping our options open for a higher priced location if all of the factors work in it's favor. This will likely be our only trip to London, so we want to make it memorable.

2. We'll be pretty active, so we want a location close to public transportation. Some of the things we plan on doing outside of the city are Harry Potter WB Studio Tour and possibly Cambridge or Oxford. Otherwise we'll be doing all sites in the city. Walking tours, museums, etc.

3. We would like air conditioning at night.

4. We would love a place to run/exercise safely - I've heard Hyde park is a good place to be near, if so, any specific recommendations?

5. We would also be open to a smaller/quainter B&B type places. It's a family of four w/teens, so we either need two beds or two rooms. This has always been tough with B/B because there is usually one bed per room.

Again, thank you! Once I have the hotel set I'll probably be coming back for advice on things to do. But for now, I'd like to try to get some reservations. Much appreciated!

Rosebud.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I should say - we'll be in London for 5 full days (7 total with travel days)
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>1. A moderate or higher hotel. We would prefer moderate, but are keeping our options open for a higher priced location if all of the factors work in it's favor. <<

Doesn't tell us much -- what is your actual budget per night?

>>2. We'll be pretty active, so we want a location close to public transportation. <<

Not an issue - 99% of London hotels are near public transport. But you only have 5 days in London and one of those likely jetlagged for at least some of you. So if the Studio tour is a must you really don't have time for other out of town trips. In fact even squeezing in HP/WB will take a lot away from your limited time in London.

>>4. We would love a place to run/exercise safely - I've heard Hyde park is a good place to be near<<

There are many parks in London plus urban walks where one can run/jog and all are safe. Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens is very large so a good option, but isn't the only one.

>>5. We would also be open to a smaller/quainter B&B type places. It's a family of four w/teens, so we either need two beds or two rooms. This has always been tough with B/B because there is usually one bed per room. <<

Ditch the 'quaint' word -- Many brits don't react well to it since it sort of 'Disney-fys' things.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis. I would assume $250-400 (U.S) per night? But I am still flexible here, especially because it looks like we are getting a deal on airfare through points. So if you have a great recommendation on hotel and it's more, still please share.

We are definitely doing the HP/WB tour, and we aren't really interested in squeezing a ton of stuff in - just want to have a really nice time in the city. If that means only one day trip, that's fine with us.

I hope this helps to clarify.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Speak in actual numbers for your nightly budget. "Moderate" is meaningless.

With two teens and a family of four, you should look into a rental flat, NOT a hotel. Finding a quad room in London will be near-impossible and a 2BR flat will give you and the old man (or the better half - can't tell if Rosebud is a man or woman) some privacy from the spawn.

Just start googling "London Vacation Rentals" or check out VRBO.com for 2BR flats. Make sure you have a precise location and can tell from the map the lessor provides how far the Tube is from your location. Also, Oakwood.com - it's a business long-term stay apartment hotel chain that will rent for < 30 days if it has availability. See also Citadines.

Finding AC will be the hardest part, but London is not known for rivaling Phoenix in the mercury readouts . . . nor even NYC or Boston for that matter.

<<Otherwise we'll be doing all sites in the city>>

Good luck with tackling all that in 4 days.

To help, go to www.daysoutguide.co.uk and print out EVERY voucher of interest before you go to London. Bring a passport-sized headshot for each of the 4 of you. Then go to the nearest national rail station (NOT Underground/Tube station) and get a PAPER 7-day Travelcard (NOT Oyster card) for zones 1-2 (you should stay in Zone 1, Zone 2 at the worst). The vouchers can save you a LOT of money. Those London attractions that have admission charge a lot.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:51 AM

$250-$400 (£170-£270) is doable but you aren't going to sleep 4 for $250 a night anywhere at all upscale

Places like Premier Inns and Travelodges would mostly fit . . . however ONLY if both teens are 15 or younger. Both chains have quad rooms for families but the two kids must be <u>under</u> 16. (and yes, they do ask and do check). So if one of the children is 16 or older you'd need two rooms. IF the kids are 15 or younger, Definitely try for the Premier Inn Couny=ty Hall or the Travelodge Covent Garden.

Neither has a lick of charm but both are clean and in terrific locations.

Renting a flat can be more economical but my go-to family options only rent by the full week. Many do rent by the night though . . .
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BigRuss for all the advice. Particularly about transportation. It is appreciated. See my post above for nightly numbers.

<<Good luck with tackling all that in 4 days.>>

I don't mean all the sites in London that there are - I just mean we'll tackle sites in London - not outside. We are not the kinds of folks who need to see everything and squeeze it all into four days. We'll decide as a family what interests us most, and do that. There will likely be a lot we leave on the table, but we are okay with that.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis. That echoes BigRuss. We will be there from a Sunday through Saturday, so a full week may work.

When looking for a flat, if you were to have an ideal central address - where might it be? I could use a starting point and branch out from there. Any parts of the city that you like more than others?

Thanks again. This has been a great help.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Agree that the age of your kids matters. If they don;t fit within the 15 and less for "children" then you may well need 2 rooms. You can get american style hotels with 2 double beds in the rooms (if that works for you) but they are typically more than your budget - which is in the modest category.

Frankly I would go for 2 rooms (or an apt) so you can get 2 baths. When we traveled without 2 DDs we always got them their own room since there was no way I would share a bath with 2 tween/teen girls.

Do not even think about upscale hotels - which would be double to triple what you have to spend. (London is an expensive city.)
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Hi RosebudAlley, I would look at Onefinestay, but am not sure if they have anything for less than 400/night in August. It's an agency that takes care of everything. If you're staying a week you may get a better rate.

Somewhere near a Piccadilly Line station between Gloucester Road and Russel Square is good. Or near the Central Line between Notting Hill and Holborn. These are good tube lines that get you to anywhere you want to go quickly.
Stations that only have the Circle or District line are less useful (trains are not as frequent).

North of Hyde Park (Bayswater) is generally better value than south of Hyde Park (Kensington), but still central and with easy transport. Near South Kensington station would be good too. Or look at Bloomsbury.

Air conditioning is not easy to find in flats - most don't have it. It's more common to have AC in hotels.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:25 AM

I have stayed in a hotel I really like that fits the description of near Hyde Park, near a Tube Stop, and in that budget with AC (the Best Western Mornington hotel) and it does have contemporary decor. I really liked that location a lot, being near the park was nice (but it is not on Bayswater itself, so not noisy). There are some other nearby hotels like Lancaster Gate HOtel also that would be convenient. But most hotels don't have two large beds in a single room, either, let alone B&Bs (which won't have AC). The Mornington hotel does have a family room, but it's only for a family with small children, not two grown teens (the second bed is just a single). So that's out, but their double rooms are reasonably priced (about 1350150 GBP per double). That's a bit over US$200 right there, for one room, and that is not a deluxe hotel, although nice enough. http://www.morningtonhotel.co.uk/

I think hotels around Green Park and St James Park are much more expensive that those around Lancaster Gate tube station.

You might reassess the idea that you need to be near a park for running when you are going to be sightseeing all day and should get plenty of exercise that way.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Christina!
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

And Thank you Tulips!

Rosebud
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:58 AM

I second Janisj's rec.

We were at Premier Inn StPancras (opposite the station) and we paid about 200 € - I forgot the price in £, which is a pity since all exchange rates have moved.

Anyway, we had a family room - but our oldest was not permitted, being 17. So we split 3-2 in our case.

Mvg.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mvg. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:50 PM

These only rent by the week but they are a TREMENDOUS bargain and even if you have to eat a night they would be worth it. Not in the very center but next to the Tower of London and right on the river. Very good for transport (Tube, buses, river taxis). In August the two bedrooms are only£133 a night and the 1-bdrm s (sleep 4 using a sofa sleeper) are £106 a night.

Full kitchens, terrific Waitrose supermarket in the complex, MANY restaurants, pubs, Starbucks, etc and very very quiet because they are on a marina w/ no vehicular traffic. Some have wonderful views and each hase either a balcony or courtyard patio.

http://www.hamletuk.com
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 03:02 PM

We stayed in the Premier Inn at Leicester Square last July. It is not charming, but because it was a new building, the windows were well insulated & there was air conditioning. We stayed in a family room with our 14 and 16 year old, but even if you had 2 rooms, I think the rate would be very reasonable.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few very useful websites for booking hotel rooms, which allow you to choose location and cost. They also show apartments:

www.londontown.com
www.lastminute.com
www.laterooms.com
www.booking.com
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

A lot of great advice! Janis that does seem like a great deal. Thanks also Jennifer and Rubicund. Both look great as well.

So grateful for all of this advice. Booking our flight and lodging this week. Once we make a decision, I'll probably be back to talk itinerary.

Much appreciated!
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. We've booked a flat about one minute walk to the Goodge Street station. It was much more economical than a hotel. Great reviews on the flat itself. Thanks for all of the advice.

Anyone know that section of town?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -