Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice (Train station &Hotel & Transportation) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-train-station-and-hotel-and-transportation-896680/)

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 05:46 PM

Venice (Train station &Hotel & Transportation)

Hi,

I'm in the midst of planning my Venice trip. Need some help in areas as mention in title.

(1) I will be travelling from Florence to Venice via Eurostar. Which Train station should i land? VENEZIA MESTRE or VENEZIA S LUCIA ?

(2) Which area should i stay if I'm only staying for 2D1N and will be travelling out the next day via eurostar to Milan? Need recommendation on hotel?

(3) How should i travel from the Train Station (Either VENEZIA MESTRE or VENEZIA S LUCIA) to San Marco square ?

thanks again.

ellenem Jun 27th, 2011 06:00 PM

1. Venezia Santa Lucia is the train station on the island. (Venice Mestre is on the mainland.)

2. A debatable point. I suggest staying anyplace in close proximity to a Grand Canal vaporetto stop for easy access to both the train station and Piazza San Marco.

3. Directly outside Venezia SL you will find vaporetto (water bus/boat) landings. From here you can catch a vaporetto that goes all the way to Piazza San Marco. You can also walk there, though it will take about 30-40 minutes.

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply ellenem

May I know roughly how much it cost & how long is the journey to Piazza San Marco? Is it easy to catch a vaporetto there? Do we need to pre-book any tickets?

Thanks again! :)

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 06:40 PM

hi ellenem,

And for Grand Canal vaporetto stop you've suggested - Is it a station name or a street name? Cause I couldn't locate it at google map! Any other precise name for that?

CaliNurse Jun 27th, 2011 06:44 PM

For one night, i'd stay right near the Santa Lucia train station, and preferably on the train station side of the grand Canla. It will save you lugging your bags (assuming you have the) up and down the big bridge in front of the train station!

You can also easily walk from train stn to San Marco. All over Venice, you'll see yellow signs on buildings which point to San marco, Rilato, and Ferrovia (the train stn). Assuimng yo'll get lost (which everyone does) you shoud be able to walk from the train stn to Rialto to San Marco in 30-45 minutes. it's a GREAT walk!!!!

CaliNurse Jun 27th, 2011 06:53 PM

p.s. For near-to-station hotel, check Hotel Abbazia. We considered it and they were great about responding to enquiries. (Ended up choosing another place a bit closer to Rialto--but we had more than one night).
You won't have to cross any bridges to reach Hotel Abbazia when you exit the train station--you'll appreciate that once you see everyone struggling with their bags as they cross the Grand Canal and other bridges!

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 06:56 PM

Hi CaliNurse,

Thanks for the response.

U mean that's a bridge that links the islands? (pardon me if I'm wrong) Which mean I don't have to take a boat there?

Thanks again! :)

J62 Jun 27th, 2011 07:23 PM

Hmm. Are you saying your map doesn't show Piazza San Marco? If that's the case then you're going to have problems as it's the main square in Venice.

A single trip on the vaporetto costs 6.50 euro, last time I checked. It's a city bus, public transportation but on water. You don't reserve a spot, you just wait at the bus (vaporetto) stop for the next one to come along and hop on.

Venice is a city on dozens of islands, if not more. To get anywhere you need to cross multiple bridges.

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 07:41 PM

hi,

Grand Canal vaporetto stop = Piazza San Marco? Oh, I'm now using Google map to plan my trip. Have yet to get a venice map.

Thanks

ellenem Jun 27th, 2011 08:49 PM

By "Grand Canal vaporetto stop" I meant ANY vaporetto stop along the Grand Canal. There are many vaporetto stops along the Grand Canal, and having a hotel near one will ease getting to your hotel with luggage and then getting from there to Piazza San Marco.

Here's a route map of all the vaporettos:
http://www.actv.it/pdf/navigazione/Mappa_linee.pdf

The idea to stay near the train station is also a reasonable one, because you can walk to a hotel without having to drag your luggage over too many bridges or take a vaporetto. I prefer to be a bit further from the station.

The main "island" of Venice is actually 180 islands connected by 400 bridges.

Leburta Jun 27th, 2011 09:24 PM

I have stayed at the Hotel Abbazia, which was a former abbey. It is just a short left turn out of the main train station and a two minute walk (if that) from there. We stayed there some years ago because we needed to take a very early train out and did not want to hassle with walking to taking water transportation that early in the morning. The hotel was nice and staff very helpful. Here is their website: http://www.abbaziahotel.com

mab3ru Jun 27th, 2011 09:34 PM

Wow, thats a great one. Thanks all for the reply! Cheers! :)

mab3ru Jun 28th, 2011 07:44 PM

hi,

ANyone can share - where's the vaporettos stop near HOTEL ABBAZIA? Any name for the stop or the street name!

Thanks again!:)

mab3ru Jun 28th, 2011 07:55 PM

And which vaporettos route should I take if I'm interested to take a look at the Rialto Bridge & maybe a visit to Arsenal ?

gh21 Jun 28th, 2011 08:11 PM

From the hotel's website you can find their address and directions from the train station.

ARRIVING BY TRAIN
It's extremely easy: The Hotel Abbazia is just one hundred meters from the Santa Lucia train station. And you won't have to cross any bridges!
Exit the station and walk to your left. Just after the Scalzi Church on your left, take the first "calle" on you left, calle Priuli dei Cavaletti.

Hotel Abbazia • Calle Priuli dei Cavaletti - Cannaregio 68 • 30121 Venice, Italy
Ph. +39.041.717333 • Fax +39.041.717949 • VAT Number 01514420270 • [email protected]

Vapo stop at train station is Ferrovia

Peter_S_Aus Jun 28th, 2011 08:48 PM

<<< And which vaporettos route should I take if I'm interested to take a look at the Rialto Bridge & maybe a visit to Arsenal ? >>>
Take Route N0 1 - but you can walk to both Rialto and the Arsenal.

You need to buy a map of Venice - don't rely on google maps.

mab3ru Jun 28th, 2011 09:24 PM

ok, will definitely get a better map. Thanks