Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   venice train station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-train-station-227380/)

chris Jun 2nd, 2002 04:23 PM

venice train station

What is the best way to get from the San Marco area to the train station (VE S.L.)? Also, how long does it take? <BR>Thanks.

Myer Jun 2nd, 2002 04:47 PM

Best. Is that cheapest or fastest.<BR><BR>You can walk in a little over an hour.<BR><BR>You can take the Vaporetto (water bus) in about 40 minutes including its stops. This is usual mode and takes luggage, etc. It's pretty inexpensive.<BR><BR>You can take water taxi. Fast and expensive. Probably at least 50 Euros or more.<BR>

John G Jun 2nd, 2002 04:49 PM

Take the vaporetto from Riva Schiavoni marked FEROVIA. It lets you right off in front of the train station. I can't remember how long it takes, but it isn't very long.

Kay Jun 2nd, 2002 10:32 PM

Chris,<BR>any of the vaporetto (water bus) that go down the Grand Canal will stop outside the train station. Trip takes about half an hour. Be quick to get off with your luggage as they don't stop for long at each stop.<BR>Kay

lori Jun 2nd, 2002 11:34 PM

Isn't there a train station - Mestre (that isn't the correct spelling...) - closer to San Marco?

Ben Haines Jun 3rd, 2002 12:19 AM

No: Mestre is a good deal further from San Marco than is Santa Lucia.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Liv Jun 3rd, 2002 03:08 AM

Mestre is on the mainland, not on the island of Venice. It has its own train station, and is the first stop out of Venice about 3-5 minutes. I am not aware of any Vaporetto service to Mestre, only expensive, private water taxi. Anyway, Mestre is not what you want from San marco. You want the Santa Lucia Train Station with the Ferrovia Vaporetto stop directly in front of it.

Liv Jun 3rd, 2002 03:30 AM

Follow up: <BR>If you are taking the Vaporetto from San Marco prior to 11 AM it should not be too crowded as most of the morning traffic is heading to San Marco. During busy times, there may be standing room only with most of the seats already taken. The Vaporetto with summer crowds, the heat plus luggage can be a challenge. I was in Florence in mid May and inquired with the Florence train station for luggage storage while waiting for the Eurostar to Venice. The price was 2 1/2 Euros PER BAG for the first 12 hours of storage. The Venice station may have a similar pricing for storing luggage if you want to walk the Venice station area prior to your train departure.

marci Jun 3rd, 2002 04:27 AM

does anyone know what time the vaporetti starts running? or is it 24 hours a day?

henry Jun 3rd, 2002 04:35 AM

does anyone know what the name of the waterbus stop is for Venezia S. Lucia train station? I am trying to figure it out on www.actv.it<BR>thanks.

elaine Jun 3rd, 2002 04:39 AM

Ferrovia is I think the name of the train station vap.stop<BR><BR>

Livingston (Liv) Jun 3rd, 2002 05:57 PM

Ferrovia is the correct name for the Vaporetto boat station directly in front of the Venice train station.

Kay Jun 3rd, 2002 07:46 PM

To Marci - the vaporetto run 24 hours a day. There is a slightly different night service which runs much the same route but has a different timetable.<BR>Kay