Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice: Toilet Pass? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-toilet-pass-816127/)

Palenque Nov 30th, 2009 09:22 AM

Venice: Toilet Pass?

I have just seen reference to, for Venice, a "Weekly Toilet Card" and have never heard of it before so am asking if anyone is familiar with this pass - i have never heard of such a Toilet Pass anywhere else either - are there others?

The Card apparently costs 5 euros for a week - for unlimited use i guess in official public toilets

q - if you don't buy the card can you still use the public loos - how much - i am trying to calculate how many times is the break even point - now the older the people perhaps the better deal the pass? And for beer drinkers?

How many public loos accept the pass - how many such loos are there?

I know Venice has huge logistical problems what being a tourist mob scene in a limited space and all and all those day trippers who spend little and leave a lot of garbage like plastic water bottles which locals would like to ban from Venice, etc are a drain so i am not opposed to the toilet charging at all - just curious as to the efficacy of such a pass over pay as you urinate, etc

Palenque Nov 30th, 2009 09:25 AM

Well the Google answers many of my questions -

Venice goes online to ease toilet pay pain | Oddly Enough | Reuters
Jan 28, 2009 ... For a regular toilet card, bought at a bathroom or other site, ... The pass is another attempt by Venice, which hosts about 20 million ...
www.reuters.com › Home › News › Oddly EnoughVenice goes online to ease toilet pay pain | Oddly Enough | Reuters

kybourbon Nov 30th, 2009 10:38 AM

It's available on Venice Connected website, which is the official tourism website, along with the museum passes.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/public-conveniences

kybourbon Nov 30th, 2009 10:49 AM

FYI - Rates for all the cards are based on whether you are traveling in high/mid/low season. Bathroom pass can be 1€-3€ for the day pass and 3€-9€ for the weekly pass. You are limited to number of bathroom trips per day.

ellenem Nov 30th, 2009 11:50 AM

Yes, you pay to use these toilet facilities as well.

Go to this link and Select your service: "Services" and "Toilets & Nursery". You will see the locations on a map. On my last five-night visit to Venice, we used these facilities once. Most other times using the toilets at restaurants and museums worked fine, plus the locations were not convenient to our touring. My rule number one: if there's a restroom, use it.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/about-services

michele_d Dec 1st, 2009 09:35 AM

Hi Palenque,
We purchased the toilet cards with our Venice Connected pass when we were in Venice in October. My husband and I were each given 10 cards for the week but ended up using only a few of them.

I wouldn't purchase them again. The locations are kind of far and few between, not always convenient when you need to find one.

I would just carry some change and do it that way instead next time.

Take care,
Michele

nancythenice Dec 1st, 2009 09:57 AM

We just returned from 2 1/2 days in Venice, and never had any trouble finding toilets for free. They were available in restaurants and museums every time we asked. Plus, our hotel was central, so it wasn't too difficult to drop by the room when needed. Granted, it was the low season, but I don't recall even seeing a pay toilet.

Dayenu Dec 1st, 2009 11:02 AM

"Weekly Toilet Card" - not a "piss card" are you sure? :)

Wow, they are step ahead of the airlines!

SCFoodie Dec 1st, 2009 12:12 PM

Just returned from a week in Venice, and did purchase the toilet cards from Venice Connected (along with a 7-day vaporetto pass) prior to the trip. We received 10 cards, each good for one use. There did not appear to be any limit to how many you could use in one day since the actual cards were not being swiped. All of the facilities we used had an attendant that took the card and then opened the turnstile for us.

PROS - The public toilets were easy to find and in all the areas we visited. They were always clean and stocked - which was not always the case in the various cafes, restaurants and "tourist sites." There doesn't appear to be any expiration date on the cards, so we can use the one we each have left on our next trip!

CONS - The public toilets are supposed to be open 9am - 7pm, but twice we found the one at the base of the Accadamia Bridge closed before 7pm.

The cash cost to use the public toilets is 1.50 Euro. I can't remember exactly what we paid for the cards (think it was 7 Euro), but remember it came out to less that 1 Euro per card.

So for us, it was a good deal.

Mormor Dec 1st, 2009 02:18 PM

I cannot imagine why anyone would need a special card to use Venetian toilets. I have been to Venice 3 times, the last time for 14 days. Just seems that toilets were always available. There are so many places where you stop for a gelato, a glass of wine, something to eat - and clean toilets are always available at these sites.

farrermog Dec 1st, 2009 02:22 PM

What are the canals for then?

annhig Dec 1st, 2009 02:31 PM

hi pal,

What are the canals for then?>>

farrermog - it turns out, according to another thread, that those funny triangular stones filling in a lot of the corners are in fact "anti-piss" devices - to stop exactly what you are talking about!

as for the toilet pass, when i visited for a singing tour a few years ago, the Venice card that I had which included free entrance to the public toilets turned out to be a god-send; the church we were performing in had no toilets and was quite a hike from our hotel, so being able to nip up to the loos in the nearby campo san bartolomeo was very useful. Lucky they weren't counting how often we went!

the last time I went, this time with the family, we bought venice cards but hardly used the loo-pass. Apart from anything else our apartment was round the back of the said toilets so i had no need to use them when we were near there, and we were rarely near them the rest of the time.

there are toilets in the Coin department store which is just at the end of the Rialto, so far as i remember.