Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice to Zurich - 5 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-to-zurich-5-days-905937/)

nygvic Sep 12th, 2011 06:45 PM

Venice to Zurich - 5 days

Cruising the Mediteranean in May arriving in Venice (which I have been to a number of times) on May 10th. Flying home from Zurich the morning of May 15th.

Would appreciate suggestions to fill in the 4 1/2 days......thoughts so far have been Lake region of northern Italy to Milan then to Zurich or possibly Salzburg / Innsbruck then to Zurich.

Open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks !!

swandav2000 Sep 12th, 2011 09:38 PM

Hi nygvic,

There are direct trains from Venice to Montreux on Lake Geneva, where you can spend your days enjoying the Prealps, visiting a cheese-making demonstration or a chocolate factory, seeing some castles, biking or walking along the lake, or just hopping from cafe to cafe.

Although May is a pretty poor month for the Alps, if you are curious about them, you could easily visit Brig (right on the route) or Zermatt(detour of about 90 minutes).

Have fun as you decide!

s

nygvic Sep 14th, 2011 10:16 AM

Any other suggestions ??

PalenQ Sep 14th, 2011 10:40 AM

Consider the Bernina Pass route to Zurich - from Venice train to Lake Como and stay in say Bellagio and then from there (actually Varenna, a short boat ride away, take the train to Tirano, Italy and then hop on the fantastic Bernina Express that chugs up and over the fabled Bernina Pass and a land of glaciers, jagged peaks, Alpine lakes - just a fantastic scene at the summit before the train heads down to St Moritz, another nice place to stay and only 4 hours or so by train from Zurich the next day, via Chur.

To me the Bernina Pass rail route is the most scenic rail line in Europe and I think I've ridden them all.

For more details on the Bernina Pass rail route check out these two sources that cover it in detail - www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Just buy your tickets as you go along.

bobthenavigator Sep 14th, 2011 01:13 PM

Good for you!
I would train to Stresa on Lago Maggiore and enjoy the spring flowers at Villa Taranto and the Borremean Isles.
www.stresa.net

PalenQ Sep 19th, 2011 07:51 AM

The Bernina Pass Rail Route is so exceptional IMO and IME - more details:

Bernina Express - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernina_Express - The Bernina Express is an express train connecting Chur (or Davos) in Switzerland with Poschiavo and Tirano in Italy, by crossing the Swiss Alps from north to ...
Itinerary - Albula line -

Bernina Express, Rhätische Bahn, RhB
www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4 - CachedBernina Express - From glaciers to palms. Experience one of the most spectacular ways to cross the Alps: The Albula and Bernina lines of the Rhaetian Railway. ...

(The Rhaetian Railway operates both the Bernina Express, an official tourist train and also hourly or so local services over the same route.)