Venice to Sorrento by car

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Sorrento by car

We are going to be in Italy for 2 weeks in August. We will be meeting friends in Sorrento. We have 2 days to get to Sorrento from Venice by car before we have to meet our friends. We'd love to have some ideas about the best route to take and where to overnight along the way? We'll head to Rome after Sorrento. Thanks
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
It depends. The various Autostradas are your easiest driving solution straight down to just south of Naples. Drive approx 1/2 - say to Orvieto - which is just off the highway. Spend the night & then leave at a leisurely pace the next day. No rushing, just 4 hours drive or so per day.

Or you could take other lesser highways for part of the drive but that would add dramatically to the steering wheel time.

Ian
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM

I think you will have to take the autostrada. Taking secondary roads would take forever. If you are going to drive, I would overnight in Orvieto. You'd be about halfway and its easy on and off access. You'll need to reserve a hotel with parking. I guess you know this will he a hot drive and there will be alot of people on the move in August. If you can, don't make the trip on the first Saturday in August.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I will look into Orvieto as a stopover. We are going the last week of August. I know it will be hot but I only have vacation in August --Thanks again!
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Hi DD - Avoid driving on August weekends if at all possible - roads can be extremely busy.

Steve