Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Siena to Cinque Terre..any suggestions with itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Ruth

I think I've finally narrowed my itinerary down. Can anyone offer suggestions of any nature? Thanks for all your help.<BR><BR>25 April..arrive in Venice<BR>26 April..drive to Siena..maybe see Cortona on the way..Siena for 3 nights..<BR>27 April... drive to Florence..take a short walking tour (only want to see highlights)..San G in the afternoon..<BR>28 April..drive to Assisi..stop in Montepulciano..<BR>29 April..drive to Cinque Terre with stop in Pisa..2 nights in Cinque Terre<BR>30 April..Cinque Terre<BR>1 May..drive back to Venice<BR>4 May..return home<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Wayne

Ruth---I assume you've already considered all the packing/unpacking and loading/unloading issues, because you have picked spots from which you can make day trips. If so, and since it appears you are flying into and out of Venice, I would think your itinerary doesn't need any changes unless you personally decide you don't want to visit one of those intermediate destinations. Your plan to stop and stay a few days in Siena, CT, and Venice sounds fine. And I assume you have already figured out that you can drop off your car as soon as you arrive back in Venice, saving the last few days of rental costs. The drive from the CT back to Venice isn't exactly a short one, but it won't take more than 4 hours; so you could even stop in one of the other towns along the route back to Venice, do a little sightseeing, and maybe have lunch.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Ruth

Thanks, Wayne...yes, I have considered the schlepping from hotel to hotel. At first, I was going to stay in even more hotels. Now, I'm trying to narrow it down to the 3 main areas I want to see. If you were to cut out any of the side trips, which would it be? I have never been to that part of Italy. Thanks for your input. Ruth

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
ppp

The drive from Venice to Cortona (3:30) hours actually takes longer than directly from Venice to Siena (3 hours). Since it's about one hour from Cortona to Siena, you'd be paying a "penalty" of 1:30 hours to visit Cortona enroute. I'd play this by ear. Decision time whether to go to Cortona or do without it is when you're just south of Florence, readdy to leave the A1 to take the SS2 to Siena. If you decide for Cortona, continue on A1 and take the Arezzo exit.<BR>The Assisi rountrip, with a stop in Montepulciano will call for about 3:45 hours driving (including parking). If you visit Montepulciano first and spend too much time there, you may regret eventual lack of time in Assisi. I'd drive directly to Assisi and play it by ear on the way back.<BR>The Firenze/San G. trip should call for about 2:40 hours (including parking, but if you don't get lost . I've no idea on the monument closing hours in San G., during the month of April, but I think it's ok if you leave Florence not later than 3pm.<BR>The drive to the CT with a stop in Pisa should take 3 hours. No problems there if you plan to leave your car either in Monterosso or Riomaggiore.<BR>As Wayne points out, you may break your 4-hour drive to Venice. Your options would be Parma (1:30 hrs), Mantua (2:30 hrs) and Verona (3 hrs), not to mention Padua.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:27 PM
xxx

ttt