Venice to Rome train questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a train newbie, I've been on two in my life; one was 10 years ago and one was from London to Dover for the day. Help please?

When we go to Italy in August, my Mom and I will take the train from Venice to Rome after our tour. I've read so many stories about never taking anything bigger than carryon size onto a train but that just isn't likely to happen. My Mom is used to packing for cruises and tends to pack more than strictly necessary and we're both going to want space for gifts/purchases. We'll probably both take 24-25" rollers and a daybag. We can both easily lift 50 pounds up stairs and the bags won't be near that heavy. What do we do with our bags on the train? Are seats assigned or do we choose our own?

Is the train station in Venice easy to find? What's the best way to get from the main tourist area to the train station? I'd rather pay a bit more and make it easy. My goal is ease on this trip so that I don't scare Mom away from ever traveling with me again.

I'm assuming that train tickets can be purchased whenever we get there and that we don't need to book those ahead of time, is this reasonable for the end of August? We'll want the 3 hour train and not the 5-6 hour train if that makes a difference.

Is there anything else I need to know about getting from Venice to Rome on the train? Think Trains for Dummies!

Thank you all in advance!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Couple questions:\\you coming right off a cruise and onto the train or out of a hotel post-cruise?

You'll want the Eurostar (faster) service and those tickets come with a built-in seat reservation although if you buy them at a window and perhaps even from a machine you can ask for window or aisle seats (in First the arrangement is usually 2 +1 and in second 2+2 seating...

There are usually racks at the end of each coach for luggage..the overheads aren't really meant for large cases..there is sometimes room underneath and between seats for luggage.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Dukey has answered some of your questions, so I'll fill in.

"Is the train station in Venice easy to find?" Yes. From your hotel, take a vaporetto that stops at Ferrovia (railroad station). Even as you wander around Venice during your visit, you will see signs directing you to Ferrovia. It is considered a major landmark.

"What's the best way to get from the main tourist area to the train station? I'd rather pay a bit more and make it easy." All of Venice is a major tourist area. The best way will depend on where your hotel is actually located. You can pay about 50 euros to get a private water taxi from your hotel to the train station. However, your hotel may not have a dock or easy boat access, so taking a public water bus (vaporetto) may be just as direct depending on your location. It will cost 6.50 per person, but you will have to handle your own luggage and deal with other people on the boat.

"I'm assuming that train tickets can be purchased whenever we get there and that we don't need to book those ahead of time, is this reasonable for the end of August?" There are plenty of trains between Venice and Rome. You shouldn't have to worry, unless you are actually traveling on August 15--big holiday. I'm assuming you're staying a night in Venice after the cruise. You could buy the tickets the day before (at the train station or from a travel agency near your hotel).

"Is there anything else I need to know about getting from Venice to Rome on the train? Think Trains for Dummies!"
Here's a link to the excellent Slow Travel descriptions of train travel in Italy.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Yes pay extra for first class IMO from what you say and you should rarely have any trouble buying train tickets upon arrival - even in August, which may even be a slacker month on trains as locals and business types that use these trains regularly are on vacation.

You can ask at ticket windows if there are any discounted tickets - you may get 20% or so- folks like Kybourbon know all about that so keep topping if she or other Italian train fare experts do not respond before your post sinks into Fodor's Black Hole, never to resurface.

But put any angst to rest - you will be able to buy tickets in Venice without problem and you can take either a vaporetto (public boat) from a stop near your hotel right to the Santa Lucia train station, right on a main canal - or a private taxi boat right from your hotel. Or if luggage is manageable and you are close enough, of course walk there.

Rome's Termini station is the main station there.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM

I'm the exception to buying my ticket while there. The last time I tried that the line was very long.
I purchase my tickets ahead of time from Rail Europe. You do pay a little more for this, but I like to have my ticket in hand and not worry about it. This may be a good idea since you are looking for ease on this trip, just one more thing out of the way before you go.
Your tickets will have a car # and a seat # on them. You can check outside of each train car and they will be numbered. You get on the car # that is on your ticket and then you don't have to walk the aisles from car to car looking for your seats.
There will be a big arrivals/departure sign in the station that shows you what track number your train will be departing from.
Also consider buying drinks/snacks in the station to take with you. There is a nice market in the station.
The usual rules apply in station- don't leave your bags unattended and watch your purse. Same for when you arrive in Rome. Watch your bags carefully.
I think that you will enjoy train travel and it is much easier than air travel. For everything you ever wanted to know take a look at www.seat61.com. The "man in seat 61" is the guru of train travel.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Keep in mind that you want Venice's Santa Lucia Station, it is at the western end of historic Venice. Don't confuse it with Venice Mestre station which is in the industrial city of Mestre on the mainland across the lagoon from historic Venice.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM

One more thing, when you look at schedules you will see two train stations for Venice. The one you want is Santa Lucia (Venezia S.L.). You do not want Mestre. This is the industrial area outside of Venice. Trains leaving Santa Lucia will stop there but Mestre is not where you begin your journey.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

"The last time I tried that the line was very long." Yes, the lines at the ticket windows can be long. However, there are automated machines available at the station that have English language options with much shorter/nonexistent lines compared to ticket windows. And at a travel agency there is usually no wait.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Actually RailEurope tickets are no longer so out of kilter with normal fares bought in Italy last time i checked. Online discounts on Trenitalia.com can be but it appears that Americans with American credit cards just cannot have that route work - so yes it can be a hassle once there waiting in line - language barrier, etc. But for any RailEurope purchase i would always advice calling the folks at www.budgeteuropetravel.com, a RailEurope agent and talk to IME some expert (like Byron there IME) who can get you the choice of seat - which way to face, etc; they also have tended not to charge RE's mailing fee for orders under $300, which this would be - to talk to someone at RailEurope to be sure you are getting the exact seat (window,aisle, seats together, etc) then it seems you must pay +10% for that privilege and then IME you may be talking to someone who knows little besides the fare. Then all you must do is to board the train before it takes off - having the car number and seat number like Lynnaustin above says.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Remember to validate your tickets at one of the yellow boxes before boarding. I agree with getting the tickets ahead of time from Raileurope, as long as you know which train you want. Then you can go right to the track. Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM

We have used Rail Europe twice now and been very happy with the prices and the service. They overnighted tickets to us at no extra charge.
We usually just buy our tickets at the train station the day before we plan to use them but sometimes when you want a reservation, it is good to have the ticket purchased before you leave home.

Don't worry about the train travel - it will be so easy you will wonder why you even worried about it. However, if you could go with a 21 inch suitcase you would be much happier than trying to lug a larger one with you.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, you can get tickets ahead of time with RailEurope, but why anyone would want to overpay for tickets is beyond me. I don't think anyone that regularly travels to Italy and uses the trains would buy tickets from RailEurope or any other reseller. The ticket machines at the main stations are TOUCHSCREEN and IN ENGLISH. A six year old could use them. As much as I don't like to link Ron's website since he advertises on Fodor's against TOA, he does have an excellent walk through complete with step-by-step pictures of how to use the ticket machines.
http://www.roninrome.com/%20transpor...a-train-ticket

>>>Remember to validate your tickets at one of the yellow boxes before boarding.<<<

You don't vaildate tickets that have assigned seats which these days will be most Italian train tickets except for R trains.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Yes, you can use the machines also.
I buy mine ahead of time for the peace of mind it gives me. We are usually on a tight time-frame and it is worth it to me to just have them. The last time I used one of the machines there was an irate guy pushing me to hurry-up and then my card wouldn't work. It turns out it was the machine and I went to another one and finally got a ticket.
I'm someone who goes regularly and always gets my tickets ahead of time, it's just how I travel. Must be my advancing years and the years of traveling with kids when there were so many things manage!
Ron in Rome does have excellent articles on his website.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM

kybourbon, not trying to hijack this thread, but want clarification. will a regular US credit card, not European style chip & pin, work in Italian train ticket machines?

Thanks
Steve
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM

My U.S. credit card and those of my friends from a variety of banks have almost always worked in the Italian ticket machines.

The one time it didn't: My friend had not informed her credit card company that she would be traveling to Italy, so the company would not allow the transaction--her own fault rather than an issue with the ticket machine.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Just want to call attention to ellenem's suggestion that you buy your train tickets at a travel agency. In the course of your sightseeing, look for a travel agency with the Trenitalia logo in the window. Almost all travel agents speak good English. This way you wan't have to worry about long ticket lines at the last minute or make a special trip to the train station.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Steve, thanks for asking that question, I wouldn't have thought to ask. I never had a problem when I was in the UK so just assumed that most things were set up to work for either system.

Brats, I know a 21" suitcase would be easier but it's not gonna happen. I could pack that way and be fine but I don't want to worry if purchases will fit. If I see something I want, I want to know I have space to bring it home. My mom will buy more things than I will and she tends to pack more as well so there's no way I'm going to try to talk her into a carryon size bag only. If we were going to be on trains multiple times then I'd try it, but for only one train ride it's not worth the hassle.

I hesitate to buy tickets ahead of time simply because I don't know what time we'll want to leave. We'll be in Venice for 3 nights before we leave and we have nothing planned for that day except taking the train to Rome and then a taxi to our hotel near the airport before we head home. I'm sure the hotel will let us leave our stuff there until we're ready to take the train that day.

The hotel in Venice will be either Principe or Amadeus. If they are where Google maps says they are, we should be within easy walking distance from the train station. It helps when you look for ferrovia on google maps instead of train station.

How much difference is there between 1st and 2nd class seats? Playing on trenitalia.com, there's 20Euro difference in the price. Is the difference in the seats worth the price difference?

Thanks again for all of the advice and help!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM

first class is always worth the difference IMO and that's why Trenitalia can charge 20 euros more for them.

If you can chose your seating then you can get a so-called isolated seat - a window and an aisle seat - for couples two of these facing each other with a table in between

2nd class has two rows of 2 seats on each side of the aisle - thus 25% more seats in the same space. Room for luggage is also the same in each class so in 2nd class you have 25% more folks competing for luggage space in overhead racks or at ends of cars - and really more than that since 2nd class is typically much more full than first class - in part because of the really discounted 2nd class tickets Italians can book online but Americans apparently cannot.

For 20 euros i'd go first class - after all it is your only train trip. I say apply the same criteria to train travel as to a hotel or restaurant selection.

And comparing prices on Raileurope and Trenitalia it appears that fares are surprisingly similar and not the way overpaying you often read about. Compare both and see - i did a quick casual search and got $109 Venice to Rome on RE - 2nd class vs 73 euro on Trenitalia - just about excatly the same price with exchange charges and charges to use your credit card in europe. In first class it was $140 RE vs 94 euro Trenitalia.com - Again virtually the same price. but again i did a quick search and maybe missed something.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM

I stayed at the Principe years ago--yes, VERY close to the train station. Since you are so close, I suggest you just walk over and buy a ticket when you know your hoped-for departure time.

First class seats are slightly wider. (For comparison sake, second class seats are more comfortable to me that airplane coach seats.) The big advantage to me of first class is that it will be less crowded since there are fewer seats and fewer people opt for first class. This also means there may be more room for luggage.

I usually opt for second class but haven't done the full 4.5 hours between Venice and Rome. Considering your concern for ease with your Mom, first class may be the better choice.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM

There is a LOT of varied opinion re First vs Second but as Pal indicates, there will be fewer seats in the same amount of space in First than there will be in Second. I've been in First on Italian Eurostar trains when it was full even though a lot of folks feel Second is more than adequate.

In your particular case I think the additional money would be well-spent but others may disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -