Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice to Rome - Eurostar of Trenitalia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-to-rome-eurostar-of-trenitalia-686578/)

RebReitz Mar 10th, 2007 05:48 AM

Venice to Rome - Eurostar of Trenitalia

HI folks. My 14year old daughter and I will be traveling from Venice to Rome on July 3. I looked at the Trenitalia site and saw one train, leaving at 3:31 am. After looking at these forums, I saw Eurostar mentioned. Checked it out and saw the more preferable choices for a train ride during the day. What gives? Are there really 2 train companies in Italy?
Thanks for your wisdom!

jgg Mar 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

I can't answer your question over the details of ownership, but we have taken the Eurostar between Rome and Venice twice now, and it is a very easy 4.5 hour trip.

norween Mar 10th, 2007 07:53 AM

Eurostar in Italy is a type of train, not a company (they are operated by ttTrenitalia)

RebReitz Mar 10th, 2007 07:57 AM

Thanks for your swift answers. But if Eurostar is part of Trenitalia, why are those Eurostar train schedules not listed on Trenitalia site? Thanks again.

TimS Mar 10th, 2007 08:01 AM

Trenitalia operates several kinds of trains, from slow regional trains to fast EuroStar Italia trains. The site shows that beginning at 06:32, there are at least a dozen trains every day from Venice to Rome. Many of then are direct EuroStar Italia trains. Some times require a combination of ES trains and other trains. Enter a date within 60 days of today to see all your choices.

TimS Mar 10th, 2007 08:03 AM

One more thing. Enter Venezia Santa Lucia as your departure station and Roma as your arrival station.

cruiseluv Mar 10th, 2007 08:07 AM

Reb,

For some reason they have not loaded all the train departures between Venezia and Roma for July.

When I input other dates up to and including June I get several Eurostar departures:
10:32, 11:23, 12:32, 14:32, 15:32.

Wait a few days and try again to see if your date is loaded in the system.

sglass Mar 10th, 2007 08:10 AM

The thing that is confusing is whether the train is fast (few stops), like the Eurostar, or an "IC", which also runs between Venice and Rome but stops at many places along the way and takes forever! We did the same train trip in July a few years ago, leaving Venice about 9 or 10 in the morning and arriving in Rome in the early afternoon-very easy. But- you definitely should purchase a reservation for both of you when you buy the tickets, because the train was very crowded that time of year.

Rastaguytoday Mar 10th, 2007 10:59 AM

There is a difference between IC, IC+ and ES. IC+ is a newer faster IC that travels longer distances at faster speeds. No train is older than 2 years and no smoking is allowed.

I just pulled up next Saturday's trips from Venice to Rome and the ES can do it in 4 hours 36. IC+ in 5 hours 44.

However compare pricing:

IC+ 1st class 55.00 euro, 2nd class 40.5 euro.

ES 1st class 74 euro, 2nd class 51 euro.

My choice is to spend the extra hour in first class on the IC+ for the price of sencond class in the ES. Watch the world go by.

Make sure you choose a train that you don't have to change along the way.

When you are looking at the fare comparisons, click on details and then click on the train number. This will tell you how many and what the stops are.

As you get within the 90 day window, print a copy of the day that you will be traveling, so that if you miss a train you will know when and what the next train will be.

On the main web site page in English, click on trains and then click on ES and IC+ to see clearly what the differences are.

ira Mar 11th, 2007 07:48 AM

Hi RR,

>... if Eurostar is part of Trenitalia, why are those Eurostar train schedules not listed on Trenitalia site? <

There is the Eurostar that travels between London and Paris, www.eurostar.com.

There are also high-speed Eurostar trains, referred to as ES*, on the Italian rail network, www.trenitalai.com.

You can't buy tickets from www.trenitalia.com more than 60 days out.

Try again 60 days from your departure date.

((I))