Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Portovenere - How's the Drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Molly

Hi:<BR><BR>This is a last minute question, as we leave tomorrow at noon for Rome!<BR><BR>We are renting a car as we exit Venice and heading to Portovenere for 2 nights. Looks to be mountainous between the 2 locations and I don't see a big road. We are buying a better map when we get to Rome. <BR><BR>Anyone made this drive or have any advise on a good travel route? How long do you think it would take with no stops? (I'm sure we'll make stops though!) Can't wait!<BR><BR>Grazie

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Leah

We made the drive from Florence to Portovenere last year. The drive was not difficult - even though it looks very mountainous, the roads were wide and safe. I think the drive took appx 3 hours - so you will have a long road trip driving from Venice to Portovenere. We took the train from Venice to Florence, and that was appx 3 hours. Have you considered taking the train to Le Spezia and picking up your car there? It might actually save you some time?

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:54 AM
marie

I've driven the coast many times and have stopped in Portovenere. The roads along the coast are high and curvey and one does have to take care. If you can, try to go to Cinque Terre, also. All the highway are well maintained as even the side roads. I know that it takes 2 1/2 hours from Milan airport to where you rent a car in Venice but can't help with the route as we didn't go there from Venice. Have a grat trip.