Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice to Paris: train, plane or automobile? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-to-paris-train-plane-or-automobile-965786/)

Francewithfive Feb 5th, 2013 07:23 PM

Venice to Paris: train, plane or automobile?

Our trip has finally come together and we are on the last legs of planning.
Looking for opinions: family of five (kids 3,8,10) need to get from Venice to Paris this July. What is the most efficient and hassle-free way to get there? We are not concerned about enjoying a scenic drive but simply getting from once place to another.
Easyjet seems to have some really economical flights. Is this the way to go?
Thanks everyone!

michele_d Feb 5th, 2013 07:35 PM

I would definitely fly. It is 700 miles and a car is useless in both Venice and Paris. Fly, fly, fly.

maxima Feb 5th, 2013 07:39 PM

The fastest and most direct way to go is to fly. You can fly from Marco Polo Airport to Paris, Orly or perhaps to De Gaulle.

Check the baggage regulations on Easy Jet, so you can pack accordingly. The ticket price will vary depending on the day/time/month.

Francewithfive Feb 5th, 2013 08:52 PM

Thanks - you confirmed my thoughts exactly. We will have to pay a hefty penalty for dropping off our French rental car in Italy but I guess that's the part of family travel you sometimes can't avoid. Easyjet has some good fares 52Euro seems good..plus all of those sneaky extras they add on.

Loco2com Feb 6th, 2013 12:55 AM

There is a direct overnight train - the Thello that goes between Paris and Venice, of you book 3 months ahead you can get some really reasonable fares. It leaves at 8pm and arrives into Venice Santa Lucia - right on the island of Venice at 930am the next morning. I have one by train to Venice and there is nothing that compares with stepping out the station to see taxis bobbing on the water, unreal!

bendigo Feb 6th, 2013 01:20 AM

We did the overnight train as well Paris to Venice - not sure how it runs in reverse, which is what the OP was asking.

Whether to train would depend very much on your kids - would they regard sleeping overnight on a train as an adventure, or are they better when you fly and minimise the time they are restricted?

As loco says - it is amazing to walk out of the station in Venice, straight on to the Grand Canal!

michele_d Feb 6th, 2013 08:10 AM

I read several reviews about the overnight train and they were not favorable...pretty much all recommended flying instead.

bendigo Feb 6th, 2013 10:05 AM

Train was great - we all slept fairly well - left the centre of Paris after a fairly relaxed day (used our extra half day to visit Musee D'Orsay)and arrived in the centre of Venice in time to have a relaxed breakfast - much less stress and hassle thana double airport shuttle!

Francewithfive Feb 6th, 2013 01:31 PM

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your input. If we didn't have an energetic three year-old, we would most likely take the train. We have decided to jump on Easyjet and make the trip faster.

michele_d Feb 6th, 2013 02:13 PM

bendigo...I'm glad you had a great train trip. I was kind of disappointed after reading the reviews about the ride and the cost, but it does sound like a lot of fun. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks.

kelbo Feb 6th, 2013 02:46 PM

I took Easyjet with my 16 year old neice from paris to venice and it was very stress free and easy. One thing I would do is pay for baggage in advance on their website if you have alot of luggage.

Francewithfive Feb 6th, 2013 03:56 PM

Thanks kelbo. I booked seats and paid for baggage. Glad to hear your flight was good. It was so cheap compared to other airlines that I was a little concerned.

michele_d Feb 6th, 2013 04:28 PM

We flew on Easyjet from Edinburgh to Paris. Great flight, no problems.