COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Milan transporation - train or rental car?

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi -

I've read through many of the posts on travel from Venice to Milan but cannot determine which will be easier - rental car or train (money for this part of our trip is not a concern). My choices are:
- Pick up rental car in Venice, drive to Milan and drop off car that same day.
- Take train from Venice to Milan

My questions are:
- which is faster?
- how convenient are the train schedules?
- which will be less stressful?

Our plans are to travel Venice to Milan, see the Last Supper, and then buy my husband an Italian suit (what can I say - he's a clothes horse)- all in the same day. We'll then leave for home the next morning. I know this sounds a little crazy (don't worry - the two weeks before of our trip are much more relaxed

So - any and all help as always is appreciated.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM

Why would you want to go to the trouble of finding the car rental place and battling Italian drivers when you can take a Eurostar that gets you from Venice to Milan in less than 3 hours?

Have a look at

www.trenitalia.com

One of the Eurostars goes from Venezia Mestre, which would mean that you have to take a commuter train from Venezia Santa Lucia to Venezia Mestre, but a later train leaves from Venezia Santa Lucia.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM

Let's see, what would I prefer doing, having a glass of wine while watching the Italian scenery for a few hours or fighting Italian traffic and drivers all day?

There are an average of 1 to 2 trains PER HOUR from Veince to Milan. Have a nice trip. Mike
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM

We just did this trip in May. Our train left Venice at 7:52 am, arrived in Milan at 10:45 am. Very easy....and saw Mary Magdalene in the Last Supper!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:51 AM

Learn from my mistake. I did the reverse trip - Milan to Venice - and rented a car to drive between destinations. My convoluted theory was that I didn't want to make the effort to get to the train station and then wait for the next train since I would be jet lagged and needing to "go, go, go" so that I wouldn't get too sleepy. Our drive from Milan to Venice took longer than expected thanks to our getting lost, and it was torture for my hubby who drove while I succumbed to jet lag and napped. We then had to fill the car up with gas and drop it off at Venice airport, and took the bus to the vaporettos.

On the return from Venice to Milan, we wisened up and took the train. It was MUCH more enjoyable than dealing with the rental car. No hassle in picking up/dropping off the car, we BOTH got to relax if we wanted, and we didn't have to fill the train back up with gas upon arrival.

The train is much, much more convenient and less stressful than the car rental.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:02 AM

No contest: take the train. If you can handle your own luggage, as you surely can, there's no reason even to question this.

Now, whether your husband will have time to find & have tailored to fit the suit of his dreams in one partial day in Milan is another matter!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM

As if you needed any further convincing...train..train..train.

By the time you (two..he'll be doing all the driving , right????) get to that rental car office and then get out of Venice, the train will be at least 1/3 of the way to Milan already...and we'll all be ON it having a great time with the wine while you are staring at yet another piece of asphalt.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:13 AM

Another vote for train. No contest.

I don't think you'll have trouble traveling, seeing the Last Supper and shopping for a suit all in the same day. However, you'll have to take an early train to do so, and check out closing times of the places you want to shop. When we were in Milan, they seemed to close early in the schmancy district (but I don't know for sure).

Do you have your Last Supper tickets purchased yet? We bought ours many weeks in advance, and even at that time we didn't have much choice as to what time we could view.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM

DRIVE!!!! When was the last time you could press the pedal to the metal and not worry about a speeding ticket.The Italians are excellant drivers. Just keep out of the left lane unless you are passing.You will get to Milano in no time.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
cmt

Train is easy and fast, and for this particular simple direct route, should not be stressful at all. I would find driving EXTREMELY stressful, and for an automatic, very expensive.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:24 AM

We took an IC train from Santa Lucia to Milan Centrale. We stayed two nights in Milan and then flew home. Our hotel arranged for our Last Supper tickets (IMHO prearranged tickets are a must). Pleasant trip on the train, nice scenery, good views of Lake Garda. We usually take Eurostar trains in Italy, but the IC train was fine and less expensive for that short trip.

We had a car from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice, where we dropped it, and enjoyed those drives, but decided train was the best option from Venice to Milan and it turned out we were right.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM

"...when was the last time you could press the pedal to the metal..and not worry about a speeding ticket...? Believe me, not in Italy because when they DO stop you...well, that's another story>
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:58 AM

this is a great site! so would it be possible to leave Venice mid-morning, train to Milan, and catch that 4.15pm to Paris + see a bit of Milan? any suggestions would be welcome

happy travelling, everyone
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:17 AM

Moimeme:

It is probably somewhat doable but I honestly think we need to talk about your desire to leave "mid-morning"....if you are going to pack all this stuff in and still make that afternoon train to Paris then for once you really ARE going to have to be a "morning person" as in on the first train out which is probably around 6 AM or so....up to you...do it or keep dreaming about it.

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:27 AM

ah Intrepid1, you've seen right through me gt;) - was hoping for a leisurely start to the last day in Venice, but really need to catch that 4.15 to Paris - so thank you for your nudge!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM

Rail w/o a question.

Depending on your luggage & comfort level,
you can then catch
an underground to your hotel ...
it was very easy to do.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:42 AM

Cars are great when you want to take your time, get out of the car and breathe the air and enjoy the scenery, or get off the beaten path. But for simply getting from one city to another, this is a no-brainer. The train takes away all the "pressure" and "strain" and is so much easier and more relaxing.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:49 PM
CU

Can anyone tell me about getting a ticket for a return journey Milan - Venice? Hope to arrive in Italy in the next week and would like to take this trip. Any views on price.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:00 AM

www.trenitalia.com

You can see the schedules and prices. If you buy the ticket online, you can print the ticket from a kiosk in the train station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO