Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice TO Mestre for Latisana- need to clarify it is easy. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-to-mestre-for-latisana-need-to-clarify-it-is-easy-384500/)

ciaodeb Jun 24th, 2008 04:32 PM

Venice TO Mestre for Latisana- need to clarify it is easy.

I need to get from Venice to Latisana station just east of Venice and west of Trieste. Trentilaia site says train leaves from Mestre and I will be in Venice.

Just wondering if it is easy to get to Mestre from Venice? Do I simply go to Venice train station and get on for one stop to Mestre, off and another train to Latisana?

My 15 year old daughter will be at a camp/resort from winning a scholarship to study Italian for two weeks. I must pick her up and we will travel until rest of family joins us several days later.

Camp/resort is located in Lignano Sabbiodoro, on the point of peninsula of Gulfo di Venezia. Camp says to use Latisana stop. Looking at map, Latisana is quite a distance north of camp so now wonder best way to get to camp with one lugguage I will be wheeling along? I will have to e-mail the camp.

Have you done this, Venice to Mestre, to say it is an easy passage?

Therese Jun 24th, 2008 04:45 PM

I don't know anything about Latisana, but I've certainly done Mestre to Venice and it's very, very easy: just hop on the train and you're in Mestre just about before you can sit down.

ellenem Jun 24th, 2008 07:40 PM

All/most trains from Venice SL (the train station on the islands) pass through Venice Mestre as their first stop.

When I checked for trains from Venice SL to Latisana tomorrow morning as an example, I found that most trains began at Venice SL, stopped at Mestre (noted in red) and then continued on to Latisana.

ciaodeb Jun 24th, 2008 08:02 PM

Hello ellenem, I am not quite clear . . . First, what is your reference for Venice SL, the SL part? Also, how did you check to get below as I just went on Trentitalia site and all trains start in Mestre? How did you see Venezia in red?

<<I found that most trains began at Venice SL, stopped at Mestre (noted in red) and then continued on to Latisana.>>

I believe from what you said, I can hop on in Venice, first stop is Mestre, stay on and go directly to Latisana?

I e-mailed the camp contact, a priest, and saw the big distance between Latisana and Lignano Sabbiodoro to see how I get from train station of Latisana to camp. When I was on trentilalia the site informed there is no station for Lignano Sabbiodoro.

You are so knowledgeable and helped me before so I thank you AGAIN!

BarbAnn Jun 24th, 2008 09:13 PM

"Venice" has two train stations. Mestre is on the mainland and S. Lucia is on the island. While Mestre is part of the greater Venice area, when searching the Italian Rail site if you just type "Venice" it will give you Mestre instead of S. Lucia. You need to type in "Venezia S. Lucia" to get the trains from the city (island)of Venice.

ciaodeb Jun 25th, 2008 05:31 AM

BarbAnn-- I knew there were two stations but did not realize to put Venezia S. Lucia into train site. Just did it and see, "VE S.L."!

THANKS!

ellenem Jun 25th, 2008 06:41 AM

BarbAnn has taken care of the Venice SL versus Mestre issue. . .

I think the preist at the camp will have to advise you on the best way to get to the camp. Only he can tell you if there are taxis from the train station, or a local bus connection.

Alternately, it looks like their might be ATVO bus service from Venice to Lignano. Go to this link:

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en...&menuid=25

Then scroll down to LINEA 8A and click on "estivo" for the schedule. Lignano is the last stop. Note however the the travel times are lengthy considering the distance covered--3-3.5 hours! If you rented a car a drove it yourself, maps.google.com estimates a drive of about 1.5 hours.

notbob Jun 25th, 2008 07:31 AM

Deb - If you decide to rent a car, you could also to pick it up at the airport instead of P. Roma. You could take the ATVO or the ACTV bus to the airport and then go on to your destination. since the airport is in the right direction, you won't lose any time or have to backtrack.

ciaodeb Jun 25th, 2008 09:36 AM

Thank you ellenem and notbob. My travel decision will be made once I hear from the priest camp contact.

Don't think bus is good, too slow and will have same problem getting to Lignano. Car will get me there but then have to deal getting rid of it when I arrive. Plan next day is to get up very early and I get ride with whole USA group to airport. My daughter and I have a 10 AM flight to Paris where rest of group has a 7:30 am flight to Rome then another to USA.

Therese Jun 25th, 2008 10:01 AM

There is most likely bus service from the train station in Latisana to Lignano. ATVO's line 8A, for instance, takes 35 minutes to go from Latisana to Lignano. The official Lignano web site (which I won't link to, as it's sort of useless) specifically references pullman service from the train station, but of course doesn't name the station.

Generally the local bus service will coordinate with train arrival times, and you don't necessarily need to think about it too hard in advance: you get off the train and ask where to catch the bus to Lignano, and one happens along and that's that.

Therese Jun 25th, 2008 11:19 AM

Looks like there's a second bus service that also serves the Latisana-Lignano route. As per one of the hotel web sites in Lignano, the Rex (this is often a good way to get directions to someplace, by the way):

"Chi proviene da Trieste, Venezia o Udine deve scendere alla stazione di Latisana-Lignano-Bibione. Nelle immediate vicinanze si trova l'Autostazione SAF dalla quale, in coincidenza con l'arrivo dei treni, partono tutti i pullman diretti a Lignano."

which means...

Those coming (by train) from Trieste, Venice, or Udine should get off at the Latisana-Lignano-Bibione station. In the immediate vicinity you'll find the SAF bus station, from which direct buses for Lignano depart (coordinated with the arrival of trains).

There's an English version of the web site but of course the information's not as detailed.

Here's the SAF website: http://www.saf.ud.it/

ciaodeb Jun 25th, 2008 03:58 PM

Therese- is the REX a bus service? You mentioned here:

<<As per one of the hotel web sites in Lignano, the Rex (this is often a good way to get directions to someplace, by the way):>>

Thank you for this useful information. I amazes me how people like yourself can fish out information which I need to learn how to do!

ellenem Jun 26th, 2008 03:19 AM

I think the Rex is a hotel.

Therese Jun 26th, 2008 04:09 AM

Yes, the Rex is a hotel. The page of the web site where I found the info is here: http://tiny.cc/jiUcY

If you look at the English page, which the hotel has kindly provided, you'll find that the info is nowhere near as detailed.

Lignano looks lovely---the hardest thing about finding this info was the distraction of photos of the lovely beach. It reminds of time I spend on the Adriatic coast myself when I was in college.

ciaodeb Jun 26th, 2008 06:13 AM

Thank you Therese. May I ask HOW you came to the REX? Had you heard about it? Maybe you looked up Latisana? When I did on Google one site had pretty town and beach shots but have not seen the REX.

The priest from camp e-mailed me and will now pick me up in Latisana to go to Lignano!! He answered all my other questions too so all loose ends have now been tied up!

Therese Jun 26th, 2008 06:22 AM

Very nice of the priest to volunteer to take you the last stretch of your journey. You'll have time for nice chat en route.

As for finding the Rex, I simply googled "hotel Lignano" and clicked on those that had their own web sites (as opposed to hotels.com or venere or whatever) and looked until I found one that gave decent directions. The Rex was probably the third one I looked at. Speaking Italian helps, of course, and being familiar with the Italian train and bus systems doesn't hurt either.

ellenem Jun 26th, 2008 07:09 AM

That's great that you have a ride from the train station--it solves everything.

LJ Jun 26th, 2008 07:22 AM

BTW, Lignano itself is well worth a brief vist for you and your daughter if she has not had a chance to go to the town yet.( the are seems to be full of summer camps but they were distant from the town.)

Lignano is a very interesting variation on the Adriatic Italian resort communities which we knew, much more upscale than most of those holiday towns yet still very much for the exclusive use of Italians (as opposed to tourist meccas like CT and the Amalfi or Sorrento).

There is a very pretty marina with all kinds of yachts and GREAT seafood restaurants SO much less expensive than Venice. My DH and I wandered into this area en route from Venice to Trieste and vowed to return some day for a holiday.

ciaodeb Jun 26th, 2008 08:41 AM

Thank you ALL!! Yes, I am so happy Father Gaetano who goes by: Fr. Gae will pick me up and we can chat on way back! LJ-- Should I ask him to drive me around Latisana? Well, I must see how it goes!!

LJ Jun 26th, 2008 10:15 AM

Sorry, Ciaodeb, I didn't mean to lead you astray! I was speaking of Lignano: we did not make it as far as Latisana (I believe it is quite a bit smaller, though it could be charming, too).